|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
FDA welcomes Chief Executive’s refreshing honesty that civil service is having to do ‘30% too much across the board’
Media reports have shown that in his first appearance before the Commons Public Accounts Committee, civil service Chief Executive John Manzoni told MPs that the civil service is having to do "30% too much across the board… No company would undertake the level of transformative change that this Government has".
In response, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman said: "Civil servants up and down the country will welcome John Manzoni's refreshing honesty. Civil servants want to deliver the agenda for the Government of the day - it's in their DNA. But the Government needs to get better at understanding what is and isn't achievable.
"Building the capability to assess demands - and critically, to gain the confidence of Ministers in that assessment - will be a major task for the civil service as it faces a further round of unprecedented cuts in resources."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, Government policy advisors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors, prosecutors and other professionals work across Government and the NHS.
- The FDA can be described as "the senior public servants' union" and should be referred to simply as "the FDA".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
· Dave Penman, General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07967 503827.
· Kay Hender, Communications Manager, tel: 020 7401 5589 or 07980 700747.
Latest News from
Civil service must be properly resourced to deliver Government commitments following UK exit from EU, says FDA27/06/2016 10:20:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has responded to the UK's vote to leave the European Union.
Vital public services put at risk with civil servants paying a high price for swingeing Government cuts, says FDA union13/05/2016 10:05:00
General Secretary Dave Penman has launched the FDA's 2016 working hours report at its annual conference in London yesterday.
Treasury does not trust departments to manage their own resources, says FDA22/04/2016 10:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman, responded to the publication of the 2016-17 Treasury pay guidance for the civil service
After reform of MPs' pay, civil servants deserve better than sticking plaster approach from review body, says FDA21/04/2016 16:26:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman, responded to today's publication of the Senior Salaries Review Body's (SSRB's) recommendations for Senior Civil Service pay and the Government's response