|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Government can’t rely on ‘make do and mend’ approach to civil service delivering Brexit, says FDA
Speaking on BBC News yesterday, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman again called on the Government to make clear how it will resource the UK's exit from the European Union.
Penman said: "The civil service faced a 20% cut in resources over the last Parliament, with a further 20% announced in the last Spending Review. The civil service now has to carry out its biggest single job since the Second World War in the UK's exit from the EU, and not a single word has been spoken from the Government about resources.
"A 'make do and mend' approach won't do - the Government needs to provide the civil service with the capability and capacity necessary to deliver a successful EU exit. In his upcoming Autumn Statement, the Chancellor needs to outline what resources will be provided."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals at grade HEO and above. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, diplomats, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Dave Penman, General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07967 503827.
- Kay Hender, Communications Manager, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07980 700747.
Latest News from
Suspending open and fair competition in recruiting civil servants for Brexit is 'a worrying development', says FDA02/02/2017 16:10:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has responded to the Civil Service Commission's announcement that rules regarding recruitment of civil servants for Brexit are to be relaxed.
Selling pension provision on the cheap will not address civil service struggle to recruit and retain key staff, says FDA27/01/2017 11:10:00
FDA Assistant General Secretary Naomi Cooke has responded to the consultation on a new remuneration package for commercial specialists in the civil service.
Invest in the civil service to deliver successful Brexit and domestic reform, says FDA18/01/2017 11:10:00
Invest in the civil service to deliver successful Brexit and domestic reform, says FDA.
Now is the time to change the Government’s approach to public sector pay, says FDA06/01/2017 10:15:00
Now is the time to change the Government's approach to public sector pay, says FDA.