|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Government can’t rely on ‘make do and mend’ approach to civil service delivering Brexit, says FDA
Speaking on BBC News yesterday, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman again called on the Government to make clear how it will resource the UK's exit from the European Union.
Penman said: "The civil service faced a 20% cut in resources over the last Parliament, with a further 20% announced in the last Spending Review. The civil service now has to carry out its biggest single job since the Second World War in the UK's exit from the EU, and not a single word has been spoken from the Government about resources.
"A 'make do and mend' approach won't do - the Government needs to provide the civil service with the capability and capacity necessary to deliver a successful EU exit. In his upcoming Autumn Statement, the Chancellor needs to outline what resources will be provided."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals at grade HEO and above. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, diplomats, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Dave Penman, General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07967 503827.
- Kay Hender, Communications Manager, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07980 700747.
Latest News from
Autumn Statement: HMRC union welcomes single fiscal event announcement and tax system measures but stresses need for proper resourcing24/11/2016 13:15:00
Responding to yesterday's Autumn Statement, the Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC) welcomed the Chancellor's move to one fiscal event.
Brexit has changed everything - except the civil service being properly resourced to prepare for it, says FDA24/11/2016 10:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has responded to the 2016 Autumn Statement.
Brexit speculation: Autumn Statement is Government’s opportunity to outline how civil service will be resourced, says FDA16/11/2016 10:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has commented on speculation surrounding the Brexit challenge facing the civil service, following the publication of a leaked memo in yesterday's Times.
FDA union teams up with cross-Government race networks to invest in BME leaders27/10/2016 13:05:00
The FDA is pleased to announce a partnership with new senior cross-Government race networks, helping to address the continuing under-representation of BME leaders at senior levels within the civil service.
HMRC reports £36 billion tax gap: another missed opportunity for Government due to lack of investment, says HMRC union24/10/2016 12:20:00
The Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC) President Vicky Johnson has responded to HMRC's publication of its latest estimated tax gap for 2014-15 of 6.5% of tax due - equating to £36 billion.