|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
The FDA welcomes clear guidance from Cabinet Office on EU referendum
Following much speculation, and argument, in the press and amongst politicians on the fairness of the recent guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood for civil servants in the run up to the EU referendum, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman said:
"The FDA welcomes the clear guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood clarifying the responsibilities of both civil servants and special advisers on the handling of papers relating to the referendum.
"Civil servants are there to support the Government of the day and that Government's policies, which in this case is to remain part of the reformed EU.
"The continued wrangling from politicians over this issue will only serve to impact upon the smooth running of government and damage the essential relationship between civil servants and ministers."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- More about the FDA's 'New Government: New Deal' campaign can be found at www.fda.org.uk/New-Government-New-Deal
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Katie Lazell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07939257985.
- Rob O'Neill, Assistant General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07764 655 747
Latest News from
Ministers should face same consequences as civil servants for leaking, says FDA06/12/2016 11:20:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has commented on the memo sent to civil servants threatening dismissal for any 'leaks'.
Autumn Statement: HMRC union welcomes single fiscal event announcement and tax system measures but stresses need for proper resourcing24/11/2016 13:15:00
Responding to yesterday's Autumn Statement, the Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC) welcomed the Chancellor's move to one fiscal event.
Brexit has changed everything - except the civil service being properly resourced to prepare for it, says FDA24/11/2016 10:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has responded to the 2016 Autumn Statement.
Brexit speculation: Autumn Statement is Government’s opportunity to outline how civil service will be resourced, says FDA16/11/2016 10:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has commented on speculation surrounding the Brexit challenge facing the civil service, following the publication of a leaked memo in yesterday's Times.
FDA union teams up with cross-Government race networks to invest in BME leaders27/10/2016 13:05:00
The FDA is pleased to announce a partnership with new senior cross-Government race networks, helping to address the continuing under-representation of BME leaders at senior levels within the civil service.