|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
The FDA welcomes clear guidance from Cabinet Office on EU referendum
Following much speculation, and argument, in the press and amongst politicians on the fairness of the recent guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood for civil servants in the run up to the EU referendum, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman said:
"The FDA welcomes the clear guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood clarifying the responsibilities of both civil servants and special advisers on the handling of papers relating to the referendum.
"Civil servants are there to support the Government of the day and that Government's policies, which in this case is to remain part of the reformed EU.
"The continued wrangling from politicians over this issue will only serve to impact upon the smooth running of government and damage the essential relationship between civil servants and ministers."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- More about the FDA's 'New Government: New Deal' campaign can be found at www.fda.org.uk/New-Government-New-Deal
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Katie Lazell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07939257985.
- Rob O'Neill, Assistant General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07764 655 747
Latest News from
Invest in the civil service to deliver successful Brexit and domestic reform, says FDA18/01/2017 11:10:00
Invest in the civil service to deliver successful Brexit and domestic reform, says FDA.
Now is the time to change the Government’s approach to public sector pay, says FDA06/01/2017 10:15:00
Now is the time to change the Government's approach to public sector pay, says FDA.
Surrounding Ministers with yes men and women will not lead to the successful delivery of Brexit, says FDA05/01/2017 11:19:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has commented on reactions across the media to the resignation of the UK's Ambassador to the EU Sir Ivan Rogers
Ministers should face same consequences as civil servants for leaking, says FDA06/12/2016 11:20:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has commented on the memo sent to civil servants threatening dismissal for any 'leaks'.