|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
The FDA welcomes clear guidance from Cabinet Office on EU referendum
Following much speculation, and argument, in the press and amongst politicians on the fairness of the recent guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood for civil servants in the run up to the EU referendum, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman said:
"The FDA welcomes the clear guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood clarifying the responsibilities of both civil servants and special advisers on the handling of papers relating to the referendum.
"Civil servants are there to support the Government of the day and that Government's policies, which in this case is to remain part of the reformed EU.
"The continued wrangling from politicians over this issue will only serve to impact upon the smooth running of government and damage the essential relationship between civil servants and ministers."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- More about the FDA's 'New Government: New Deal' campaign can be found at www.fda.org.uk/New-Government-New-Deal
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Katie Lazell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07939257985.
- Rob O'Neill, Assistant General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07764 655 747
Latest News from
Government can’t rely on ‘make do and mend’ approach to civil service delivering Brexit, says FDA13/10/2016 13:10:00
Speaking on BBC News yesterday, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman again called on the Government to make clear how it will resource the UK's exit from the European Union.
Appointing Former PM's Chief of Staff as Paris Ambassador ‘undermines professionalism of Diplomatic Service’, says FDA28/09/2016 11:22:00
Dave Penman, General Secretary of the FDA has responded to the appointment of David Cameron's former Chief of Staff Ed Llewellyn as the next British Ambassador at Paris.
HMRC consultation: Proper resourcing is needed to tackle tax avoidance, says ARC union17/08/2016 14:12:00
Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC) President Vicky Johnson has responded to the publication of HMRC's consultation document on strengthening tax avoidance sanctions and deterrents.
Civil service must be properly resourced to deliver Government commitments following UK exit from EU, says FDA27/06/2016 10:20:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has responded to the UK's vote to leave the European Union.