|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
World-leading UK FinTech firms discuss sector plans at roundtable
Leading FinTech firms meet with City Minister, Simon Kirby to discuss how to build on the previous success of the sector.
Yesterday (01 November 2016), some of Britain’s cutting-edge FinTech companies met with Simon Kirby, the Economic Secretary to the Treasury, to discuss how the UK’s world-leading FinTech sector can build on its previous success and take advantage of the opportunities ahead.
Earlier this year London was voted the global FinTech capital and in October 2016 the Treasury unveiled plans to hold a new international FinTech conference in London designed to attract more investment into the sector.
The meeting was the first of 2 roundtables with the sector, taking place over 2 days, at which the government is listening to the issues affecting the sector and the plans it has to grow and develop.
Attendees included chief executives from across the FinTech industry, financial regulators and Eileen Burbidge, HM Treasury’s FinTech envoy. Robin Walker, a Minister for the Department for Exiting the European Union, and Mark Garnier, the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for International Trade, will also represent the government.
In his opening statement the Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Simon Kirby, said:
FinTech is one of the shining lights of the UK economy. It is expanding rapidly, receiving high levels of investment, and employing some of the brightest minds the UK, Europe, and the World have to offer.
I am determined to see FinTech remain one of our great British success stories.
Tuesday 1 November:
- Simon Kirby, Economic Secretary to the Treasury
- Robin Walker, Minister at Department for Exiting the European Union
- Chris Woolard, Director of Strategy and Competition. Financial Conduct Authority
- Eileen Burbidge, Treasury’s FinTech Envoy and CEO of Passion Capital
- Lawrence Wintermeyer, CEO, Innovate Finance
- Paul Cassey, General Counsel, Crowd Cube
- Jeff Lynn, CEO, Seedrs
- Martin Cook, UK Gen Counsel, Funding Circle
- Andrew Lawson, Chief Product Officer, Zopa
- John Battersby, Director of Policy and Comms, Ratesetter
- Simon Brown, Enterprise business architect, Atom Bank
- Paul Rippon, Deputy CEO, Monzo
- Ruth Handcock, Chief Customer Officer, Tandem
- Diana Paredes, CEO, Suade
- Eamon Jubbawy, COO and Co-founder, Onfido
- Justin Fitzpatrick, COO and Co-founder, DueDil
- Sharn Kaur, International Head of Compliance, Circle
Latest News from
UK Government proposes new approach to boost banking competition and resolve RBS’ State aid commitments20/02/2017 14:25:35
The UK Government has proposed a radical new plan that would see RBS fund and deliver a series of initiatives, worth around £750 million, to boost competition in today’s UK business banking market.
Chancellor's speech at the National Cyber Security Centre opening15/02/2017 13:37:38
"We are investing another £1.9 billion to further bolster our armoury against cyber-attack in this Parliament" says Chancellor Philip Hammond.
Chief Secretary meets Fife businesses to hear growth plans15/02/2017 11:10:20
David Gauke met with Dunfermline businesses before chairing latest Devolved Administration Finance Minister meeting in Edinburgh.
6 weeks until the pound stops being round15/02/2017 09:10:05
With only 6 weeks until the historic new 12-sided pound enters circulation, the Commercial Secretary to the Treasury visits the Royal Mint.