Illegal Newquay gas fitter sentenced for undertaking unregistered gaswork
16 Sep 2016 02:39 PM
An unregistered gas fitter has been order to complete 250 hours of community service for illegally installing a LPG gas boiler and hob at a Newquay home as well as producing fraudulent documentation.
Dean Marshall, aged 47, of Dukes Way, Newquay, installed the gas boiler and gas hob at a property on Chynowen Lane, Newquay several years after his registration with Gas Safe Register had lapsed, meaning he wasn’t permitted to carry out gas work. His previous registration with Gas Safe Register did not cover any work on any LPG gas appliances as he had never completed the proper training for this work. Despite this he continued to use the Gas Safe Register logo on paperwork he issued.
Truro Crown Court heard on 15 September, that Mr Marshall’s illegal gaswork came to light when the homeowner, who had been repeatedly asking for the commission documentation for the new boiler, noticed that Dean Marshall had used another name and registration number on the commissioning certificate.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Dean Marshall had fraudulently used a Gas Safe registered engineers details to deceive the homeowners.
Mr Marshall pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(3), 3(7), and 33(2) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was sentenced to undertake 250 hours unpaid work for each offence to run concurrently and ordered to pay £4,966.42 in costs.
HSE Inspector Simon Jones, speaking after the hearing, said:
“Only engineers registered with Gas Safe can legally carry out gas work.
“Mr Marshall undertook gaswork which he knew he shouldn’t do. He compounded his illegal work by fraudulently using firstly the Gas Safe Register logo on his paperwork and then the details of a properly registered gas engineer on a commissioning certificate that he issued in a clear attempt to deceive the homeowners.
“If gas appliances, such as ovens, cookers and boilers, are not properly installed there is a risk of fire, explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning.”
Further information on domestic gas safety issues can be found on the HSE website at http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/
Notes to Editors:
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement. www.hse.gov.uk
- More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at:www.legislation.gov.uk/
- HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk