The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has launched a Grants Programme to ‘promote & support independent, innovative research & solutions focused on privacy and data protection issues’. There will be a number of grants awarded each year. Awards will be for a minimum £20,000 and a maximum £100,000.
The objectives of the ICO Grants Programme are to:
Proposals do not need to be technology based but must have practical application and provide real world solutions that are of clear public benefit to the UK.
- Support & encourage research & privacy enhancing solutions in significant areas of data protection risk, focused on projects that will make a real different to the UK public.
- Increase awareness of privacy enhancing solutions with data controllers across the UK.
- Improve understanding of how individuals view privacy issues, interactions with new technologies & promote better public awareness.
- Promote uptake & application of research results by relevant stakeholders, including policy makers.
- Develop existing privacy research capacity in academic and not-for-profit sectors.