back to listings SME Profile: T Sumner Smith Limited
T Sumner Smith Limited (TSS)
T. Sumner Smith Limited (TSS) are providers of white and grey collar services to the infrastructure sector, with experience in utilities, telecoms, rail, civils, earthworks and traditional construction. Services include:
- Commercial, Quantity Surveying and Cost Management
- Project management
- HSEQ management support, training and CDM compliance
- Audits and inspections (Assets, structures, sites) ~ low and high level
- Asbestos training for licensed and non-licensed operations
In 2012 the business strengthened their established team with additional industry experienced employees to enhance the skills within the team and to ensure that the business continued to offer a broad range of services, knowledge and innovation to our Clients. The company age profile spans generations, from graduates studying via day release to Directors with more than 40 years of industry knowledge and experience.
In 2014, the business established a training and safety consultancy (TASC) division which delivers HSEQ support and training to industry.
Commercial and Quantity Surveying
Tel: 0161 359 3234
TASC (Training and Safety Consultancy)
Tel: 03333 114410
Our Aims and Objectives
Our corporate aims and objectives are set out below which our team strive to achieve on a day by day basis on each project that we work on:
- We provide clients with a first class, cost-effective, outcome-based service that helps them fulfil their business needs.
- We have a can-do attitude and ensure that client goal alignment is a priority.
- We provide infrastructure clients with a one-stop-shop service and facilitate solutions through excellence.
We are regulated by the RICS and hold ISO 9001 and 14001 and BS OHSAS18001 and are accredited by Achilles UVDB for the range of services below:
- Financial Consultancy
- Health and Safety Consultancy
- Risk Management Consultancy
- Financial Audit Services
- Asset Management/Operation Services
- Quantity Surveying
- Surveying Services
- Project Management Consultancy
- Overhead line condition surveys
- Quality inspection of new constructed and/or refurbished overhead lines and associated equipment
- Overhead Line Inspection, Maintenance and Repair worker
- Overhead Line Services of Tree Cutting
- Overhead Line Services – Tower Painting
Our commercial management is headed up by our Managing Director who is a Chartered Member of RICS who is supported in his role by a dedicated team of professional commercial managers and quantity surveyors.
Operating within your team or independently outside your business we offer the total commercial management service with key disciplines as listed below. Our range of services span the project spectrum from initial budgets, models and procurement routes to final account and contract close out. We have operated across public and private sectors in a variety of arenas giving us a wealth of knowledge and experience.
- Prepare and present financial models relating to business opportunities
- Selection of appropriate procurement strategy(ies)
- Bid analysis, authorisation procedures, forming part of bid teams and providing commercial authorisation
- Review and implement commercial and contractual mechanisms
- Manage contractual conflicts and risks
- Identification and evaluation of commercial opportunities
- Assessment and evaluation of project budget, costs and value
- Project full life cycle management relating to commercial and contractual issues
- Administering commercial/contractual issues
- Implementation of back to back supply chain mechanisms on bespoke contracts
- Post contract management
Our utility route feasibility service facilitates network operators to achieve a cost-effective route solution with risks identified and mitigated within the planning stage. Through detailed analysis we provide a route solution pre-tender thus minimising change and associated impact on time, cost and quality. On each project our professional service allows peace of mind for our clients, safe in the knowledge that the project detail has been fully investigated prior to construction. Our in-house team of engineers have numerous years of experience within the utility industry and specifically in utility feasibility studies. Past projects range from 500m to 15km, across different locations varying from installations through inner city London to rural landscapes.
TSS can provide solutions from early planning stage onwards in order to minimise project risk via a combination of the following:
- Carrying out trial hole investigations in utility congested areas to minimise the likelihood of aborted installations and subsequent financial variations, delays and programme disruption
- Manage wayleave and easement negotiations at the planning stage to minimise any associated risks to cost and programme
- Liaison with third parties such as the Local Authority, Environment Agency, Network Rail and others to ensure their full cooperation prior to the tender stage.
- Produce a detailed report with a full level of information to enable clients to plan accurately and contractors to estimate competitively.
We can tailor our range of services to suit our client’s specific needs and or the requirements of their projects, form initial outline plans, assisting with procurement routes to project delivery close out. Operating within your team or independently outside your business we offer a bespoke service with key disciplines below. Whilst our specialism is infrastructure our team have operated across public and private sectors in a variety of arenas giving us a wealth of knowledge and experience.
- Development of the project plan
- Management and engagement of project stakeholders
- Monitoring and management of project risk, budgets and schedule
- Delivery team management inclusive of robust documented meetings
- Procurement and supply chain management
All TSS operational staff hold a NRSWA Streetworks Supervisors card and can offer a broad range of services including, but not limited to the following:
- Pre-site surveys
- Auditing of Signing, Lighting and Guarding
- Monitoring excavations in the highway network
- Monitoring reinstatements and compaction of back filled materials
- Inspection of completed works
- Scope management of consequential damage repair works
- Highway asset condition audits
As a business, we can provide clients with guidance and assistance in all of the CDM Duty Holder positions.
In line with the CDM 2015 Regulations, we can provide clients with Principal Designer services and or provide the clients appointed Principal Designer with guidance and assistance in relation to the health and safety aspects of their role.
Within the CDM role we can provide a broad spectrum of services which can be delivered as part of your delivery team or as an independent party. As part of this role we can provide clients with support in the following areas:
- Advise clients how to achieve compliance with their CDM duties
- Input during initial Design Team Meetings to assist in a pro-active solution
- Completion and maintenance of F10 notifications to Health and Safety Executive
- Attend and co-ordinate regular design and planning meetings
- Manage the flow of Health and Safety information between Clients, Designers and Contractor
- Assist with the production of the Pre-Construction Plan
- Review of design information and risk assessments
- Review the resources and competences of the Principal Designer, the Designers and the Principle Contractor
- Facilitate good communication between Clients, Designers and Contractors
- Ensure that a suitable Construction Phase Plan is in place before construction work begins.
- Planning and Coordination of the Health and Safety File
We can provide a full range of HSEQ management services for clients, including but not limited to the following:
- Developing and maintaining HSEQ management systems in line with the requirements of ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and BS OHSAS 18001.
- Audits and inspections (Management system audits, site audits and inspections, office and depot audits and inspections).
- Developing and implementing HSEQ improvement plans to assist clients to enhance their HSEQ performance.
- CDM support.
- RAMS (Risk assessments and method statements).
- Accident investigations.
- Health and Safety support following accidents / incidents or following interventions by the enforcing authorities (HSE, EA, ORR).
- Contractor safety support.
- Tender and PQQ support.
- HSEQ support, including the provision of interim HSEQ management at all levels (HSEQ director, HSEQ manager and HSEQ advisor).
- HSEQ support following major contract wins / contract mobilisations.
We can provide a full range of HSEQ training for clients, including but not limited to the following:
- UKATA-approved asbestos training including:
- Licensable – New Operative, Operative Refresher, New Supervisor, Supervisor Refresher, New Manager / Director and Manager / Director Refresher.
- Non-Licensable – HSG210 and HSG210 Refresher.
- Asbestos Awareness.
- Bespoke asbestos training:
- Non-Licensable (HSG210) training for the Utilities Sectors (i.e. training for operatives who work with asbestos cement mains, must remove gaskets that contain asbestos.
- IOSH Managing Safely training.
- Manual handling training.
- Risk assessment.
- Accident investigation training.
- Induction training.
Our dedicated HSEQ Team is headed up by our HSEQ Director who is a Chartered Fellow of IOSH who has 30+ years HSEQ management experience. The HSEQ Director is supported in his role by a dedicated team of HSEQ professionals whose qualifications range from Tech IOSH to Chartered Members of IOSH.