back to listings SME Profile: People Business
Douglas House, 71 Brox Road, Ottershaw, Surrey, KT16 0LZ
Welcome to People Business - We are experts in the business of people
People Business offers reliable expertise in all aspects of HR and people development.
Our flexibility makes us different.
We offer a wide range of quality services on a flexible contracted or ad hoc basis. Whether it's providing consultancy across the entire HR spectrum or working with you on just one focused project, we offer practical support in a professional but relaxed way to help you achieve the best possible results.
The main areas in which we provide support are:
- HR Consultancy
- Executive Coaching
- Management Coaching
- HR Audit
- Performance Management
- Recruitment, Assessment and Selection
- Training and Development
- Psychometric Testing
Whether you are a start-up, small-to-medium sized business, or a large corporation, we provide tailored HR support, working with you both on-site and off-site for all your HR needs.
Whether it’s providing consultancy across the entire HR spectrum, working on just one focused project, or helping to get the basics in place, we always offer practical support in a professional but relaxed way.
We can respond quickly to changing needs, flexing our services to ensure that you get the right support when and where you need it in order to achieve the best possible results.
We can help you with:
- Creating an HR strategy
- Developing good people practices
- HR planning
- Recruitment and assessment
- Executive profiling and assessment
- Compensation and benefits
- Legal advice
- Policies and procedures
- Employee contracts of employment
- Handling redundancy
- Employee relations
What’s different with us is the way in which our HR consulting works. We offer a range of quality services on a flexible contracted or ad hoc basis. For example we can:
- Place someone on-site on a short or long–term basis to address your priorities
- Work collaboratively with you to deliver specific objectives
- Make progress on developmental projects that have been under-resourced
- Manage and coordinate recruitment campaigns
- Provide telephone advice and guidance on employee relations issues
People at the top of organisations have accountability for results and the responsibility for leading and coaching others, yet often have the least support.
- Who do directors talk to when they are leading and managing change?
- What do they do if they have a sense that things are not as they should be and the actions/ activities that have worked for them in the past are not producing the results they now need?
- How do executives achieve a healthy balance between focusing on performance and inspiring people to be committed to the organisation’s goals rather than just be compliant?
- What can they do if the management team needs to work better together?
- What are their abilities and potential?
If you or an executive you know have asked these questions, then executive coaching will help you find the answers. Executive coaching is the ultimate in a tailored development programme that usually takes place over 6, 9, or 12 one-and-a-half-hour coaching sessions. Occasionally it may continue for longer or shift into a maintenance programme of a twice-yearly meeting with quarterly progress calls.
Are you new to managing people or are you looking to develop your management abilities? Transitioning from technical roles to management requires completely different skills and capabilities. Managing just one or a team of people creates expectations on you from the start. For many, this is often whilst continuing to perform their "day job" or even whilst running/growing a business.
Do you often think:
- “I want to realise the capabilities and skills of my team”
- “I want to better organise the roles and activities that the team performs”
- “I want to develop myself and my team to handle change and even conflict”
If so, management coaching can help. As experts in working with all levels of managers across SMEs and larger corporations, we can support you in what can be the most challenging and rewarding part of your role by:
- Identifying areas for your personal and professional development as a manager
- Increasing your awareness of your management style and behaviours
- Developing both confidence and competence
Becoming the kind of manager that can influence, motivate, and deliver results takes time and willingness to achieve. Management coaching is a positive and developmentally focussed approach to achieving your management goals. Working confidentially on a one-to-one basis with a People Business coach means that we work in partnership and in a supportive way to help you grow and develop as a manager.
Our HR Audit is a unique process that enables you to fully understand how people are being managed in your organisation. It’s a holistic but simple tool that reviews the impact on your people’s performance of:
- HR strategy and the extent to which it supports business goals and objectives
- HR policies, procedures, and interventions and how effectively they are delivered
- Leadership/management style and the prevailing culture
- Organisational and communication processes
The results will show you what is currently working in your organisation - and where improvements can be made. Additionally, it helps you to identify the issues that are having the biggest impact on motivation, morale, and work performance, offering recommendations about ways we can support your business in order to resolve those issues.
Performance management in any organisation is at the heart of managing people. The process of performance management contributes to the effectiveness of individuals and teams in order to achieve high levels of organisational performance.
Consider the following questions:
- How well do you communicate what is expected from individuals and teams?
- Do you measure both what people do and how they do it?
- Do you develop performance to support your business goals?
Embedding the management of performance into your organisational culture is one of the ways in which your business will continue to grow and flourish. People Business has expertise in designing and reviewing performance management processes to ensure that they genuinely inspire and motivate the people in your organisation. We will partner with you to understand your business performance objectives, and propose solutions which fit. In discovering the real purpose of your performance review processes and considering the experiences of those involved with them, we will help your organisation to:
- Focus on performance and improving performance
- Manage deterioration in performance
- Replace processes which aren’t delivering, with more innovative approaches that still achieve the necessary results
We will work with you and your managers to consider the cycle of planning, performing, reviewing, learning, and revising how things are done to help you reach the highest performance levels.
People Business are specialists in designing recruitment, assessment, and selection processes that truly distinguish the exceptional from the average.
We regularly help clients with their recruitment challenges, and can support you in a number of ways such as:
- Managing “one off” recruitment campaigns or projects to recruit for specialist roles
- Recruiting and assessing senior candidates
- Providing a “second opinion” on candidates you interview
- Managing graduate recruitment campaigns
- Working with you to redesign your recruitment processes to ensure that they are attracting the quality and quantity of candidates that you need, e.g. job descriptions, person specifications, sourcing and screening candidates, selection methods, tracking progress, making the final offer
- Providing additional support for volume interviewing, e.g. design and carry out telephone interviewing or provide experienced recruiters for face-to-face interviewing
- Offering expert interview coaching
- Designing robust assessment and development centres
We are also qualified to administer a variety of psychometric testing, through our partners, that cover personality (MBTI and Hogan), behaviour (FIRO-B), emotional intelligence (ECI) and ability (SHL) to ensure that the critical behaviours, skills, and attitudes necessary for high performance are measured appropriately at the selection stage. In addition, we use simple but powerful tools (Wave) to uncover the patterns that drive people’s behaviour and increase the likelihood of you finding candidates that will be successful at their jobs
When it comes to training, People Business believe in creating lasting change, which means partnering with you to develop the right solution from the start. Our training and development is bespoke, so you can expect a training course that is completely designed to your needs. Having an initial training-needs discussion with you enables us to design a training course that is a good fit and is designed with a purpose in mind.
Our training is a lot of fun
We are convinced that learning should be fun, so our highly interactive sessions produce learning that is gained from doing, listening, touching - and sometimes even tasting! Our training is high-quality. We know that people learn better when they experience learning at its best.
We use first-rate training tools, and enjoy mixing it up with new activities and games that we experiment with on our own team - only the very best exercises make it into our training!
Some of our favourite training sessions we have run:
- A lesson on maintaining exceptional standards from celebrated BBC chef Raymond Blanc at Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, delivered to a senior team
- A build-a-tower communications exercise we designed for a construction company about the importance of clear written communications (see how they did)
- Myers-Briggs personality type training for a senior team that struggled to run effective meetings and agree on decisions
- A circus-themed training day for a team with issues about stepping out of their comfort zone and trusting each other. Tight-rope or trapeze, anyone?
- A training course full of mini-sessions, so that the content could be flexed to match the participants on the day
- Numerous "Train the Trainer" sessions so that companies can deliver their bespoke courses in-house
Quality that you don’t find in larger training companies. When we design training for your business, we want to find the best approach to create lasting change. Our training sessions are focused on end results, real-life application of learning within a work context to ensure that participants come away from the session feeling energised and with an action plan they are committed to implementing.
We deliver specialised training solutions for leadership teams, executives, individuals, project teams, sales teams, and virtual teams of all shapes and sizes and in any industry. We will create exercises to adapt to the style and seniority of your participants. Examples include:
- Leading and Managing Others
- The Good Boss Questionnaire
- Working with Teams
- Building Skills
- Developing Yourself
- Train the Trainer