back to listings SME Profile: Making Business Matter Limited
Making Business Matter
Sticky Learning House
We are a training provider to the UK grocery industry specialising in suppliers to the big four supermarkets. Our clients want to secure more profitable wins by using more effective ‘soft skills’. The reason they choose us is because of our combination of relevant experience and our unique training method – ‘Sticky Learning ®’.
About MBM: We Understand the World of UK Supermarkets and Their Suppliers
Supplying the big four supermarkets can be very demanding, as you know, and we know from being on both sides of the fence. Having the best people is essential to delivering profitable wins, and whilst ‘people are your best asset’ is a hackneyed term, we all know that they can make or break your profit. A bad meeting, a poor negotiation, recommendations not accepted, can be disastrous.
MBM understand this industry and can build a People Development Programme with you, for you, that helps you to achieve your business’ goals.
How MBM Began
Our founder, Darren A. Smith created MBM after spending 12 years at a big four UK supermarket as a Category Manager, he saw the need to help suppliers work better with retailers.
The low point of what he saw, having sat through over 2,000 supplier presentations, was a 3.5 hour presentation on frozen carrots presented by 126 slides, a man who turned-up with no pen, paper or bag to a meeting, and presentation after presentation that was poorly thought through for a retailer or has no actionable insights.
Of course, there were many suppliers that presented, negotiated and influenced very effectively. The opportunity gap was and is to make the the good, better, and the better, best.
Our Unique Training Method
Our best work is done through a programme. Not one day training courses because they have a limited effect. Sticky Learning ® is the term we use to headline our approach to training. In essence, our programmes are 6 months each and include 4 main parts; Learning To Learn, Foundation day, Advanced day, and the Sticky Pieces that the Learner completes in-between the 2 course days to keep their learning alive. Couple this with our comprehensive 5 level evaluation and you have a training provider that cares about your learners’ learning for the long term and your return on investment.
- Communication Skills Training
- Conflict Resolution Training
- Creating a Business Plan for Suppliers
- HBDI Training
- Influencing Skills Training
- Learning to Learn
- Myers Briggs
- People Management Course
- Presentation Skills Training
- Time Management Courses
- Employee Engagement
- Category Management Training
- Executive Coaching
- Must Win Meetings
- Negotiation Skills Training
- Leadership Training
- Sales Skills Training
- Team Building
- Training Needs Analysis
- Understanding UK Supermarkets and the UK Grocery Market
- Category Management
- Must Win Meetings
- GSCOP: Books Author
- Negotiating with Buyers
- Supplier Time Management
Our best work is done with suppliers to the big four UK supermarkets because we know the industry and all of the people who work for MBM have either worked for a supplier or a retailer. Yes, of course, we have worked with a few other companies. After all, who can resist working with great brands, such as NHS or McDonald’s? The vast majority of our clients are suppliers to the big four supermarkets.
Our training is not with the people who work in production; instead, our very best work is done with retailer facing people because we have been working with those types of people for over a decade. We understand the challenges between supermarkets & suppliers, category managers & buyers, shoppers & the category. We have not trained people on the production lines or in the factories because this is not where we do our best work. Whilst the majority of the training is transferable, we prefer to focus on the Account Managers, Category Managers, NPD teams and supply chain personnel because this is where we believe we can make the biggest difference for you.
Your Next Step
QUALIFICATIONS & ACCREDITATIONS
Our qualifications across the team are shown below:
- Licensed HBDI ® practitioner.
- BA Hons French language and literature.
- Associate Member of the Institute of Training and Development.
- Diploma in Business Coaching.
- Certificate in Workplace Counselling.
- Licensed Firo-B practitioner.
- Vocational Qualifications & Training.
- CPCAB Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills.
- CPCAB Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies.
- CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling.
- Introduction to Counselling (D171).
- Understanding Fear and Sadness (D240).
- Exploring Psychology (DSE212).
- IPD Certificate in Training & Development.
- FIRO-B Measures Licence.
- MBTI Licence (Steps 1 and 2).
- Saville & Holdsworth OPQ Licence; Occupational Testing Licence.
- Member of CIPD.
- Licensed Myers Briggs (MBTI) practitioner.