back to listings SME Profile: S.A.WALSH - Consulting Engineers and Expert Witness Limited
Specialist Consulting Engineers and Expert Witness Limited
The Forensic Engineering Consultants to the Legal Profession
The Complete Expert Witness Service
I entered the profession as a 5 year indentured student Plumbing, Drainage, Water, Gas, Public Health Engineering apprentice during August 1964 and qualified as an Engineer in 1969.I continued my academic and practical training to complete my professional qualification when I was awarded my Chartered Engineer status in 1983. I became an Expert Witness in 1984. I became CORGI (now Gas Safe Register) 1998 and Chartered Occupational Safety and Health Practitioner in 2000.
Since 1984 to the present date I have been instructed as an Expert Witness and given oral evidence in The Royal Courts of Justice and Technology and Construction Courts together with regional County Courts I also attend The Central Criminal Court of England and Wales (known as the Old Bailey) for gross negligence and manslaughter cases and attended regional Crown Courts. I attend the Scottish and Northern Ireland Courts with their judicial systems. I have also given evidence at Arbitration, Mediation and Public Hearings.
- C.Eng. Chartered Engineer (Engineering Council No. 331040 (1983)).
- MSc. Masters of Science. Occupational Safety and Health (University of Greenwich, London). Specialising in the inhalation of Carbon Monxide from gas appliances.
- CMIOSH. Chartered Member Institution of Occupational Safety and Health and registered “Chartered Safety and Health Practitioner.
- MCIBSE. Practising Chartered Member of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
- FCIWEM. Practising Fellow Chartered Member of the Water Engineer and Environment Management (formerly Institution of the Public Health Engineers)
- FCIPHE. Practising Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers (formerly the Institute of Plumbing).
- Gas Safe. Registered Gas Safe engineer in compliance with Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 Regulation 3.
- MSoPHE Member Society of Public Health Engineers.
- CUEW (CUBS) Cardiff University Accredited Expert Witness (Bond Solon CUBS)
- MAE. Practising Member of the Academy of Experts.
- MEWI. Founding and Practising Member of the Expert Witness Institute.
- MSocEW Member of the Society of Expert Witnesses.
- RoSPA. Member of Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.
- NEWA National Expert Witness Agency
Expert Witness Formal Training Qualifications;
CUEW (CUBS); Cardiff University Accredited Expert Witness certificate by their examinations.
- Academy of Experts; The Academy’s Training Courses for the Expert.
Bond Solon; Their Expert Witness courses.
- E.W.I; Their Expert Witness courses.
Law Society; Registered with the Law Society as a “Checked” Expert Witness.
- UK Register of Experts; Approved and Registered Expert Witness.
Alternative Dispute Resolution; ADR;
- Academy of Experts training, examination and registration. Instructed as Commercial Mediator to assist in resolving parties disputes.
- Assisting to resolve customer and supplier contract disputes.
- Freeman City of London
- City Livery Company
- Worshipful Company of Plumbers
My Previous Expert Experiences;
Occupational Safety and Health
Gas Safe Registered.
- Domestic and Commercial Boiler Flue failure investigations
- Investigating Gas Appliance spillages from Natural Gas (NG) and LPG gas burning appliances producing Carbon Monoxide poisoning and fatalityReconstruction of flue pipe failures. Investigating flue discharges crossing property boundary.
- Gas pipe leaks, explosions and Meter fraud
- Investigating alleged failures of gas contractors undertaking Annual Gas Planned Maintenance Contracts to gas appliances.
- Investigating accidents, personal injury claims and fatalities during the installation of plasticised Gas Mains joined by electrofusion welding technique outside buildings including failure of pipe fittings during pressure testing of gas mains.
- Investigations of fire caused by work undertaken by Gas Safe fitters and plumbers together with fire damage to property and personal injury caused by faulty boilers and maintenance to the gas appliance.
- Assessing Commercial, Domestic and Industrial Oil and Gas piped services for safety and compliance with the Regulations
- Assessing gas flue and combustion air twin pipe systems
- Investigating Carbon Monoxide spillages in Hotels, Public areas, Holiday accommodation both in UK and Overseas.
- Audit, Inspection, Investigations of Commercial gas appliances.
- Assessing Housing Associations and Private Developers domestic and commercial gas installations and appliances.
- Recommending how to install/convert existing Housing Association housing stock from Estate central heating to individual gas boiler installations.
- Health and Safety at Work in the workplace inhalation of gas from work process or work related operations and maintenance.
- HSE prosecutions and private litigation cases for employees personal injuries due to work related activities such as working with machines, air compressor hand held devices, opening and closing entrance doors.
- Personal Injuries Investigating slips, trips and manual handing injuries together with falling from ladders, down stairs, scaffolding and working at height.
- Investigating personal injury and shock resulting in fatality to disabled persons after sanitary fitting failures, collapse, collision, and falls.
- Investigating Residents falling from windows, down stairs and other injuries at Care Homes and Hotels.
Building Services Engineering
Plumbing and Heating Engineering
- Assisting to resolve Customer and Contractor contract, provision of services and financial payments disputes.
- Investigating Domestic and Commercial Underfloor Heating systems for lack of performance..
- Investigating leaks from water, waste and/or heating systems causing property damage and personal injury.
- Investigating water pipe failures and flooding of domestic and commercial properties.
- Investigating Commercial Kitchens to resolve blocked drains with cooking oils and fats. Assisting in Tenant and Landlord disputes for drain responsibility and waste fats and oils retentions and treatment before entering the drains. Checking dirty washing practices and appropriate equipment.
- Investigating defective Planned Preventative Maintenance to Building Services in commercial, domestic and industrial properties.
- Personal injury due to scalding from hot water in bath, shower, sink, bidet and basin, and burns from hot unprotected radiator and hot surfaces. Excess hot under floor heating system resulting in personal injury to feet and other parts in contact with the floor.
- Investigations of Personal Injuries to the Disabled due to using incorrect installed/maintained sanitary fittings.
- Investigating freezing of piped systems inside buildings and assessing the thermal protection. Also investigating failed fittings due to freezing.
- Investigating “Water Hammer” and “Hydraulic Surges” in failed piped systems.
- Investigating pumped hydraulic systems in commercial and industrial properties and facilities.
- Investigating failed Fire Sprinkler systems.
- Investigating alleged failures to District Heating Installations.
- Investigating Sanitary Facilities for the Disabled
- Investigating water systems not providing service as intended due to possible design and installation considerations.
- Investing Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Systems not providing the service they were intended by Contractors.
- Investigating clean and dry compressed air and gases for 3D printing machines, and other commercial and industrial purposes.
Water Engineer and Environment Management
Public Health Engineering investigations;
- Underground drainage investigations into surcharging and flooding.
- Rainwater (surface water) into buildings.
- Surface water flooding investigations from adjacent adjoining land and sewers
- Investigating ground water and surface water into buildings due to incorrect construction, elevated ground water levels and disposal of surface water from managed catchment of housing and/or commercial development or other causes.
- Flood management failures which were designed to protect property.
- Surcharging of sewers into property and collapsing property due to washout.
- Assessment of Commercial, Industrial and Domestic large and small drainage and sewer systems following users’ complaints of flooding and emissions of sewer gases causing a nuisance and leading to personal injury by gas inhalation.
- Water leaks from plumbing components and sewage and waste water systems causing water damage and flooding to property and finishings, stock in shops and commercial property. Personal injury in flats when ceiling collapsed onto owner/user. Slipping on wet surfaces.
- Investigating alleged sewer gas emissions at farms and process plants.
- Investigating of Domestic and Commercial installations of waste water treatment systems not functioning and flooding.
- Investigating alleged Hydrogen Sulfide gas from treatment systems and septic tanks.
- Supervision and reporting of CCTV investigations into underground piped system failures including grease blockages from kitchens.
- Investigation into water logged fields, run-off from impervious areas and resolution to resolve.
- Investigating centralised drainage plant failures for hotels, commercial industrial and housing estates.
- Customer and Landlord contract disputes of Plumbing, Drainage, Hot and Cold Water systems, Heating, Air Conditioning, and gas goods and services when installations not fit for the purposes intended.
- Investigating fatality at Water Undertaking Pumping station when high pressure mains pipe joint failed.
- I accept instructions within the United Kingdom and World wide.
- I am only fluent in English.
Expert Witness Work;
I accept instructions for;
- Single Joint Expert,
- Party Appointed Expert for the Claimant (CPR Part 35)
- Party Appointed Expert for the Defendant (CPR Part 35)
- Expert for the Prosecution (CrPR Part 33)
- Expert for the Defendant (CrPR Part 33).
- Single Joint Expert in compliance with CrPR Part 33.
- Personal Injury Claims for either party or joint (CPR Part 35)
I do not accept instructions for;
- Legal Aided paid work unless the solicitors accept my terms
- Family Court
- I am willing to give 15 minutes free consultation without obligation to discuss possible instruction.
Expert Witness Instructions;
The percentage of instructions for the previous year has been approximately;
- Single Joint Expert; 20%
- Claimant; 40%
- Defendant; 40%
- Attended Court in last 3 years; 10
- Expert Reports written in last 3 years; 102