back to listings SME Profile: The Hampden Consultancy
The Hampden Consultancy
41 High Street, Prestwood, Buckinghamshire, HP16 9EJ
Tel: 01494 868868
The Hampden Consultancy, established in 1993, is the trading name of THC Consulting Engineers Limited and specialises in assisting clients in resolving technical and contractual problems with respect to mechanical & electrical engineering services that can (and often do!) occur on many construction projects, whether during the pre-contract or construction phases, or indeed post-contract.
Although ‘trouble-shooting’ and ‘problem-solving’ forms a core activity of The Hampden Consultancy, it is nonetheless our working knowledge of the total building design and construction process, including the contractual elements of building and engineering services contracts, that enables us to provide truly-independent technical advice and support to our clients, often working alongside both client-appointed design teams and on-site project teams.
In addition, by carrying out activities such as design audits both before and during the construction phases, we have ensured that projects are handed over in accordance with both individual client requirements and relevant design standards.
Indeed, our expertise has also enabled us to provide clients with credible and cost-effective solutions to problems such as:
- Development on restricted sites
- Phasing works whilst existing buildings and/or engineering services installations remained in use
- Complex building layouts requiring unusual or innovative technical solutions
- Listed buildings requiring ‘sympathetic’ treatment
- Difficulties caused by geographical locations
Whilst our expertise is in respect to healthcare engineering services working on many hospitals both in the UK and overseas, we nonetheless have a good track record of assisting clients in other industry sectors, including defence, government, commercial, retail, sheltered accommodation, private healthcare and nursing homes.
We also undertake expert witness work in respect to mechanical & electrical engineering services, being retained either directly by the instructing client or by their legal representatives. Further details can be found on the 'Expert Witness' page of our website.
The Hampden Consultancy recognises that the selection of any one professional organisation is never an easy task since many others appear to offer the same services and expertise.
However, we pride ourselves in offering the necessary professionalism and technical expertise normally only found with larger practices, coupled with the degree of personal involvement and commitment that is usually only available from a small practice, thereby enabling us to provide a quality service to our clients.
Added to this is the overriding principle of ensuring that every commission entrusted to The Hampden Consultancy is treated with the utmost diligence and to a high standard, thereby enabling individual clients’ objectives to be achieved.
Since an ever-increasing proportion of the total cost of a building is now allocated to the mechanical & electrical engineering services that it contains (due as much to their increasing complexity as to the awareness of the impact of environmental issues), building owners and occupiers demand higher levels of system performance with greater efficiency, flexibility and reliability from these same engineering services.
It is therefore essential in our view that the skills of professionally qualified engineers are employed to ensure that the most appropriate and cost effective solutions are derived.
As members of the Association of Consultancy & Engineering (ACE), we naturally subscribe to the view that the primary role of a consulting engineer is to provide impartial advice to their client and to protect his or her interest in any project, being completely independent of any contracting or manufacturing interests.
Indeed, in our view consulting engineering is not only about careful investigation, research, planning and design, but it is also about ensuring that any agreed solutions are both cost-effective and wherever possible practical, being implemented in both an organised and controlled manner, leading to a successful outcome for our clients.
Naturally such professional advice will not necessarily be the cheapest option but it will often represent a small proportion of the ‘whole life’ cost of a project.
The Hampden Consultancy is able to offer relevant expertise across a broad spectrum of activities relating to mechanical & electrical engineering services, including:
Private Finance Initiative [PFI] Schemes
- Management of PFI consortia design teams
- Advising on NHS compliance and assisting in obtaining waivers for non-compliances in respect to any derogations
- Providing strategic advice on issues pertaining to mechanical & electrical engineering services
- Assisting in the preparation of bid submission documentation
- Preparation of cost plans for PITN and FITN Stages of PFI bid submissions
- Condition surveys & site investigations
- Energy efficiency surveys & advice on energy conservation
- Feasibility studies and/or preparation of cost reports
- Assisting in the preparation of Building Log Books
- Maintenance planning, including planned preventative maintenance (PPM) scheduling
- Preparation of maintenance & facilities management contract documentation
Design & Contract Management
- Design and specification of mechanical & electrical engineering services
- Advising on the design of engineering services for sufferers of multiple chemical sensitivity
- Preparation of contract documentation
- Tender examination and evaluation
- Design audits
- Undertaking the Resident Engineer role
- Contract management, including supervision of installation works and/or cost control
- Interim measurement and issue of certificates
- Progress reports on installation works, including undertaking ‘snagging’ activities
- Independent witnessing of testing & commissioning activities
- Undertaking the Independent Certifier role
Pre-Contract, Post Contract & other activities
- Due diligence reports/technical appraisals for banks and other financial institutions
- Investigations and technical reports for insurance loss adjusters
- Identifying and resolving technical and/or contractual issues following Practical Completion or Project Handover
- Examination and evaluation of Final Accounts
- Dispute resolution, including assistance in the preparation of claims
- Acting as an expert advisor to clients considering legal proceedings involving matters pertaining to mechanical & electrical engineering services
- Acting as an expert witness (either as a party-appointed expert or a single joint expert) in relation to disputes involving mechanical & electrical engineering services
- Acting as an expert assessor under rule 35.15 of the Civil Procedure Rules in relation to disputes involving mechanical & electrical engineering services
- Acting as a non-legal expert for the purposes of expert determination
- Assisting in the preparation of technical documentation, such as Health Technical Memoranda (HTM's) and other authoritative publications
- Collating engineering services record drawings for existing buildings & preparing spreadsheets with hyperlinks to scanned record drawings
- Undertaking ‘whole life cycle costings’ in respect to mechanical & electrical engineering services
The Hampden Consultancy (in conjunction with other associated specialists where appropriate) is able to offer expertise in connection with the following work elements and specialisms relevant to mechanical & electrical engineering services, namely:
|Air compressors and compressed air services||Heating & hot water calorifiers|
|Air-conditioning and mechanical ventilation systems||Heating systems (LPHW & MPHW)|
|Boiler installations||Heat pump installations (Ground source & air-to-air)|
|Building management systems (BMS)||High-efficiency lighting schemes and their control & integration with energy management systems|
|CDM co-ordinators||Hot water services|
|Central clock installations||HV & LV power distribution systems|
|Central radio & TV reception services||Hydrotherapy pools|
|Central telephone installations||Information technology (IT) systems|
|Cold water services||Intruder surveillance, detection & alarm systems|
|Combined heat & power (CHP) installations||Lifts, hoists & escalators|
|Computer-aided design (CAD) facilities||Lightning protection/earthing/screening installations|
|Control systems||Mains water supplies to premises|
|Cooling water services||Mechanical engineering services for people suffering from 'multiple chemical sensitivity'|
|Cost consultancy (in respect to M&E engineering services)||Mechanical ventilation installations|
|Data centres||Medical gases & vacuum services|
|Defects scheduling (in respect to M&E engineering services)||Operating theatre ventilation|
|Dust extraction ventilation systems||Passive fire stopping of mechanical & electrical engineering services|
|Electrical lighting & small power installations||Planned preventative maintenance scheduling|
|Electric generation plant & systems||Pneumatic tube conveyor systems|
|Electric sub-stations & switchgear||Preparation of maintenance contract documentation|
|Energy management systems (EMS)||Public address, personnel location & call systems|
|Emergency lighting installation||Public health & plumbing service|
|Expert witness services (including acting as a Single Joint Expert)||Security & access control systems|
|External lighting installations||Steam & condensate return systems (including condensate recovery systems)|
|Fire detection & alarm systems (including radio-linked/wireless systems)||Surveying of existing mechanical & electrical engineering installations|
|Fire engineering installations||Testing & Commissioning|
|Fire stopping of mechanical & electrical engineering services||Thermal insulation (relevant to mechanical engineering services)|
|Flood lighting systems||Underfloor heating systems|
|Flue installations||Uninterruptable power systems (UPS)|
|Forensic laboratory services||Vibration control systems|
|Forensic project analysis||Water filtration & treatment systems|
|Fuel gas distribution systems||Water supply boreholes & soakaways|
|Health & safety, including compliance with CDM Regulations, in respect to M&E engineering services|