IKM Solutions Ltd
West Sussex RH14 9PB
Telephone: (+44) 07710 296329
Information And Knowledge Management
Cost Effective Support For Your Business
IKM Solutions Ltd supports organisations in bringing information under control. IM provides a basis for reducing costs and exploiting information for competitive advantage.
We can advise on information risks, such as how to comply with legal and regulatory requirements, and to retain the right information for contractual reasons.
Loss of knowledge can be a concern, for example when restructuring, merging, downsizing or just planning for staff to retire or leave.
Key Information Concepts
File structure – being able to save information into a regular structure to demonstrate due diligence and compliance.
Search – use of metadata and context to aid the business use of information
Governance – determine who manages the information, sets policy, has information access, and equally important – who is denied access.
Retention – knowing how long to keep information, and why.
Knowledge capture – knowing what you will need from key people and resources to maintain your business in the future.
Information And Knowledge Are Intertwined And Should Be Governed As Such
Information – how is it structured?
Who manages it?
How long do you (should you) keep it?
What are the risks?
Knowledge – is it valuable?
Can it be captured?
How do you use it to benefit your organisation?
Information and knowledge – considered in isolation or together?
How IKM Solutions Can Help You
Here Are Some Of The Typical Services We Offer Based On The More Frequently Requested Assignments That We See. If You Have Other IM Or KM Queries Please Contact Us To Find Out More.
- KM Training – One Day awareness training for information professionals and those getting to grips with Knowledge Management perhaps as a new part of their existing role. Courses are arranged via AIIM UK.
- File structure – defining a file structure to suit the various types of filing you may need, including EDRMS, Sharepoint, NTFS or other filestores. We usually examine how these structures relate to paper files and other media.
- Metadata standards, and defining adequate elements of metadata to facilitate Search, Retention, and perhaps regulatory compliance.
- IM Governance to ensure there are policies and standards to work to, as well as escalation routes for end-users, admin and records managers.
- Defining and applying Retention schedules. As information piles up, either physically or electronically, how do you define what to keep and for how long? Some things can be scheduled according to well-defined rules, others require more business insight to determine what is the best policy.
- Certified AIIM training, onsite or in classes arranged through AIIM UK. We can assist with ERM, ECM, Information Governance or Taxonomy & Metadata courses.
- CIO Coaching and mentoring to support key managers who often specialise in other disciplines rather than IM. In many cases the CIO may appreciate occasional support when there are key events, changes in operational focus or changes in the regulations.
- Freedom of Information or other compliance healthchecks, working with you to identify current process gaps, benchmarking with other organisations, or assessing resource requirements.
OUR EXPERTISE HAS BEEN GATHERED WITHIN THESE SECTORS:
- Local Authorities
- Not for profit
Government agency – The client was ramping up Records Management use and required assistance with bringing in stronger RM governance, experienced support for a new team, and experience in sorting out a chaotic shared repository prior to migrating into a cleaner RM environment.
Government arms-length agency – This project needed a better approach to knowledge capture and retention, as well as improving information governance and records management. We assessed and advised our client on the setup, closure and lessons-learned basis for managing long term projects. The need to map knowledge assets to enduring business functions was an important element of understanding and applying knowledge management for this client.