back to listings SME Profile: Lucid Support Services
Lucid Support Services
8 Clarendon Drive
T: 01908 690000
Lucid was founded over 15 years ago with the intention of providing clients and consultants across the UK with a professional, pragmatic and honest service with the highest levels of integrity. Since then, we have grown year on year in size and reputation. Now working for and exclusively providing our service to some of the largest, quickest growing and industry leading companies in the country.
Lucid is a specialist IT services company that provides clients with: temporary, project and back fill IT staff and teams. We also offer audit and installation project delivery.
Based in Central Milton Keynes, we cover the whole of the UK and parts of Europe.
Lucid are proud to be Gold Members of the “The Association of Recruitment Consultancies” (ARC). ARC are responsible for insuring high levels of ethics are upheld in recruitment organisations throughout the UK, as well as providing up to date information and guidance on employment law and legislation, ensuring that Lucid is always in the know.
We work extremely hard to ensure the experience clients and consultants receive from every department at Lucid is exemplary. We have internal standards that maintain service levels, actively promoting and rewarding excellence, and we do not set sales targets (because we believe this would pressure staff to act outside of our core beliefs of service-first).
We are a people business and we understand people need to be treated with respect and courtesy. We also realise that working with people can bring certain challenges, almost daily, and there is always something different and new circumstances to consider. This requires everyone within Lucid to be emphatic and realistic.
Standards / Personnel / Delivery
We strive to achieve the highest standards of integrity in our business. In order to deliver this, it requires all at Lucid to be realistic and honest with clients and consultants at all times. We believe this is the only way to build trust and the best way of cultivating longstanding and productive working relationships for both parties.
Although it sounds a little “cheesy” – We have an internal “Karma Neutral” policy. Because we work with people; we are always faced with difficult and sometimes complex problems and situations, being honest and truthful, however tough, is the only way for us.
In a recent survey of a large customer with multiple buying managers: 90% rated Lucid’s ability to “deal with and resolve problems” as “Excellent” (highest mark) the remaining 10% scored Lucid as “Good”.
Every one of Lucid’s customers has an experienced and dedicated Account Management team, which includes:
Account Manager (main point of contact)
2 x Junior Account Managers
This approach enables Lucid to fully understand your business, ensures you always have someone available who knows you and your requirements (regardless of holiday, sickness or prior engagements) and a readily available escalation process.
Lucid prides itself on a rapid, relevant and cost effective service.
Every client can expect two-three fully qualified and relevant candidate CVs within 24 hours of registering the need.
Every candidate submitted to a client will have gone through an interview process to identify the very best available. Permission to represent will be asked and agreed prior to submittal.
We DO NOT inundate you with CVs. It’s our job to filter, interview, filter again and pick the best candidates for the role.
We DO NOT send unsolicited emails, spam or blanket marketing
The most important thing to point out is that Lucid is incredibility good at what is does. The senior management team have over 80 years combined IT recruitment experience; we are driven, motivated and committed to the company and clients we serve.
Lucid is a proud supplier to our Nations Central and Local Government.
We have been providing cost effect solutions for over a decade, allowing clients to receive a top class service whilst saving the tax payer money.
Lucid are suppliers into Government via CCS G-Cloud and DOS frameworks.
Works include: full project delivery teams, project and programme management solutions, specialist consultancy, training, digital outcomes and cloud based solutions.
Lucid is able to provide MOD and Government Security Cleared project staff including: DBS, NPPV, SC and DV.