back to listings SME Profile: Hastam
35-37 High Street, Barrow upon Soar, Loughborough, LE12 8PY
Welcome to Hastam - Trusted Safety Consultancy & Expert Witness Services
Hastam was formed in 1984 by the Aston University Health and Safety Department as a mechanism for carrying out consultancy work. It moved into the then new Aston Science Park and expanded over the following years, developing products and services for the safety managers and safety directors of medium to large organisations. Other activities such as research and development, expert witness and software development have been added in response to client demand.
Our goal is to provide our clients with the best professional health and safety advice, the most effective solution to their needs and a service that matches their expectation. We do what it takes to earn the trust and respect of our clients so that we become their partner of choice.
Some of our public sector clients Include:
- Environment Agency
- Imperial College London
Trusted Expertise: Hastam has always prided itself on being at the cutting edge of research and innovation in health and safety practice. We strive to maintain that position through collective and personal research in the fields of health, safety and risk management, continuous professional development, our thought leadership forum and investment in new technology. Our expertise is trusted by leading legal practices, government bodies, global and national companies and charities.
Clients - Building lasting relationships: We recognise that without satisfied clients we do not have a business. Our goal is to provide our clients with the best professional health and safety advice, the most effective solution to their needs and a service that matches their expectation. We do what it takes to earn the trust and respect of our clients so that we become their partner of choice.
Performance - The goal of improving every day: We have a self-critical attitude that ensures we try to do a better job every day. We strive to offer our clients a health and safety service that is affordable, reflects cutting edge research and thinking, is underpinned by professional and academic rigour but is always practical. Every day we strive to be; innovative, challenge the status quo, offer better value, reach more people, and improve the quality of our communication and service.
People - We want to see them better protected and their wellbeing enhanced: We never forget that what really matters are the lives and families of the people who work for and with our clients. Getting health and safety management right assists businesses to prosper and people to live healthy and rewarding lives. We want to contribute to ensuring fewer people suffer because of work injuries or health and safety issues. When things go wrong we want to play our part in ensuring lessons are learnt and acted on.
- Over the past decade a number of Hastam directors have acted as expert witnesses in health and safety, leading investigations, preparing reports and delivering evidence in a number of high profile cases; for example, the blast furnace explosion at the Port Talbot steel plant, the Buncefield oil storage depot explosion and the Potters Bar Rail crash. They have acted, in different cases, for both the defence and prosecution, and also for both parties in civil proceedings.
- Developing competence in health and safety is a critical success factor in preventing harm. Hastam offers a wide-range of training courses that can support development of individual and organisational competence in health and safety management and risk control as well as the transformation to a sustainable active safety culture. All Hastam’s courses support implementation of relevant good practice and conformity to OHS management standards.
- The outstanding expertise and experience of our directors and consultants makes us ideal partners for whatever health and safety management challenges you are facing. We can provide the knowledge, guidance and support you need to improve your policy, procedures, practices and performance. You will find our advice clear and solutions straightforward, simple but not simplistic. With our input your management system will be robust and provide you with high levels of protection.
- Great safety performance needs a forward thinking learning culture where everyone is engaged with improving safety. It is sustained by leaders at all levels paying active and positive attention to all aspects of health and safety. Going beyond conventional behaviour-based safety, Hastam can help you implement and sustain positive safety culture change.
- Pro-Evaluate (formerly CHASE) is a flexible, cost-effective software solution for managing audits, inspections, compliance and competence assessments, employee perception surveys and tracking improvement actions and works right across your business. It is currently being expanded to include incident reporting and risk assessment services too.
- Every organisation needs to comply fully with all relevant H&S legislation. The penalties for not doing so can be severe. So how do you know that you are compliant? The solution is to have a procedure that ensures compliance with legislation is being managed effectively. Our legal register service can give you full assurance and help you sleep at night.
- Hastam prides itself in being at the forefront internationally of research and development in safety and health. The company’s consulting has been fed by the results of academic research and teaching both at Aston University (Professor Richard Booth), and the Safety Science Group at Delft University in the Netherlands (Professor Andrew Hale). This cross-fertilisation of the results of academic study with the practical field-experience of other Hastam directors and associates has been vital in shaping Hastam over the years
- This course aims to provide an appreciation of environmental issues, key legislation, systems of work and control measures that are relevant to planning and delivering engineering projects and in maintaining plant, equipment and systems. It is designed for people in client and contractor organisations to enable them to understand how environmental issues may influence the design and delivery of engineering projects in a manufacturing environment.
- Our open courses are run up and down the UK on a variety of topics. Popular courses have been our Incident Investigation and Interview course, and also our Behavioural Safety open courses. These are ran by our experienced Hastam Directors and Consultants and are an affordable way to receive the Hastam training if you only need to send a few employees to receive this training
- A new service that Hastam has started to offer is a benchmarking membership scheme around safety culture. It is deliberately not industry specific as we think there is not enough cross sector interaction on topics such as safety culture, this enables public and private sectors to learn from each other. This membership is for high level Safety Directors and Senior Managers who are using (or looking at using) a safety maturity matrix approach to safety culture and helping them fulfil the benchmarking element of the framework, enabling the members to share info with each other about best practice on different areas of safety culture. The Safety Culture Benchmarking conferences and workshops are in collaboration with the School of Business and Economics, Loughborough University, which include discussions from academics and industry speakers on how evaluating and benchmarking safety culture can help achieve sustained improvement in safety performance.
- Our webinars aim to give knowledgeable insight and practical advice on hot topics in the health and safety industry. Our 30 years of experience and research enables us to be at the cutting edge and our aim is to provide clients with information and practical know how that they can apply to their own work environment.
- Our Directors and Consultants regularly speak at events and meetings throughout the UK and abroad. We are happy to look into specific opportunities which can be arranged upon request.