back to listings SME Profile: McMillan Associates
Welcome to McMillan Associates - Chartered Construction Consultants
A niche consultancy serving a global market
McMillan Associates is the specialist consultancy arm of APM Management Limited, a family-run business management, infrastructure, construction and utilities consultancy, established in 1977. It is now a highly respected cross sector consultancy handling a broad spectrum of commercial, contractual and dispute matters, as well as related areas of business management. These include risk and assurance monitoring and corporate governance reviews. McMillan Associates is also called upon to provide Interim Management support to overcome client’s short or medium term needs.
Extensive experience in construction
The company is headed by Keith McMillan, a chartered construction consultant and experienced expert witness, who brings over 40 years of construction experience to the company. Keith has worked with many of the most respected names in the construction, infrastructure and utilities industries, on projects ranging from specialist renovations and street works to the most iconic civil engineering undertakings
A career progressing from site surveyor through to Department Head and Board Room responsibilities as Commercial and Construction Director, has provided him with a wealth of experience and a comprehensive understanding of the industry. He is as at home leading a group of international construction consultants as he is heading a major commercial department or serving as an expert witness.
Construction consultancy for a broad range of clients
The McMillan Associates team has a track record of having handled a cross section of construction and infrastructure projects, from both client and contracting view points. Clients have reassurance from knowing that through experience gained on the most complex and demanding contracts, in both hands-on and executive roles, even the smallest contracts will be handled with skill and understanding.
Whilst McMillan Associates proud of its outstanding record of working with internationally renowned clients and being associated with the most prestigious projects, it is equally active in the domestic arena, providing the same effort, expertise and care to all clients.
Matters upon which we are qualified to provide our expert opinion include:
- Contracts formulation & administration.
- Operations & maintenance planning /execution.
- Construction site personal injuries.
- Site-based supervision.
- Estimating, pricing revisions & final accounts.
- Project management.
- Commercial interpretations.
- Application of good industry practice.
- Subcontract management.
Spheres of commercial activities covered:
- Building works, new & renovations.
- Utilities installation.
- Civil engineering projects.
- Heavy & light rail.
- Ports & airports.
An enviable track record, ranging from local disputes between private parties and tradesmen, to the £billion plus disputes emanating from the largest international projects.
- Acting individually or as part of a multi faceted claims team.
- Understand the root cause of the dispute.
- Research the facts not the emotional view point.
- Provide success appraisals.
- Expensive, hollow victories benefit no one.
- An extremely cost-effective way to overcome a problem.
- Interim Managers benefit from not being hindered by long term alliances or emotional attachments. They bring experience from a wider perspective, remain focussed on the given task and not side tracked by internal issues.
- Even though the requirement might be short term, the effects can be long-lasting.
- The highest level of professional support built on many years of experience.
- Major international projects and a full range of smaller domestic contracts.
- A working knowledge of most standard suites of contracts and various forms of contracting strategy.
The golden rules
- RTFC – Read the full contract
- KTF – Know the facts
- Adoption of our programme management techniques provides early warnings and affords the opportunity for mitigation before time is lost or additional costs incurred.
- Consistently updated KPIs and regular ‘end cost forecasting’. Provide the essential information
- Change control measures evaluate the impact of any proposed change before the change is implemented.
- Channel Tunnel
- Centaurus Development Islamabad
- Edinburgh Tram
- Gerrards Cross Tunnel
- Bangalore/Hyderabad Airports
- Gdansk Container Port
- Palm Jumeirah Monorail Dubai
- West Coast Mainline Upgrade
- Luanda Oil Terminals
- MIDER Refinery Germany
- British Transport Police
- Network Rail
- Mancini Legal Solicitors & Advocates
- Gilbert Stephens Solicitors
- Scott Wilson