Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
£1.7m back pay identified for a record 16,000 workers as 260 employers are named and shamed for underpaying minimum wage rates
Retail, hospitality and hairdressing businesses were among the most prolific offenders named in this round.
- government has identified £1.7 million in back pay for 16,000 workers – more workers than in any previous naming round
- 260 employers named and fined a total of £1.3 million for underpaying the National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) today (8 December 2017) named 260 employers for failing to pay 16,000 workers at least minimum wage rates.
Government investigators identified £1.7 million in back pay for some of the UK’s lowest paid workers and fined employers £1.3 million for underpayment.
Retail, hairdressing and hospitality businesses were among the most prolific offenders in this round. Common reasons for errors made include: failing to pay workers travelling between jobs, deducting money from pay for uniforms and not paying for overtime.
Business Minister Margot James said:
There is no excuse for not paying staff the wages they’re entitled to and the government will come down hard on businesses that break the rules.
That’s why today we are naming hundreds of employers who have been short changing their workers; and to ensure there are consequences for their wallets as well as their reputation, we’ve levied millions in back pay and fines.
Bryan Sanderson, Chairman of the Low Pay Commission, said:
The Low Pay Commission’s conversations with employers suggest that the risk of being named is encouraging businesses to focus on compliance.
Further, it is good to see that HMRC continues to target large employers who have underpaid a large number of workers, as well as cases involving only a few workers, where workers are at risk of the most serious exploitation. It is imperative that the government keeps up the pressure on all employers who commit breaches of minimum wage law.
If workers are concerned they are not being paid the correct rates then they can seek advice from workplace experts Acas.
Since 2013, the scheme has identified £8 million in back pay for 58,000 workers, with 1,500 employers fined a total of £5 million. This year the government will spend a record £25.3 million on minimum wage enforcement.
Rates will rise again in April 2018, giving young workers in particular the biggest pay boost in a decade.
For more information about your pay, or if you think you might be being underpaid, visit our dedicated National Minimum and Living Wage website.
The 260 employers named today are:
- The Best Connection Group Limited, Bromsgrove B61, failed to pay £469,273.83 to 2558 workers.
- Qualitycourse Limited trading as Transline Group, Calderdale HD6, failed to pay £310,302.12 to 1421 workers.
- Primark Stores Limited, Reading RG1, failed to pay £231,973.12 to 9735 workers.
- SportsDirect.com Retail Limited, Bolsover NG20, failed to pay £167,036.24 to 383 workers.
- Edward Mackay Contractor Ltd, Highland KW9, failed to pay £51,403.65 to 4 workers.
- Payerise 72 Limited, Kingston upon Thames KT3, failed to pay £29,979.27 to 130 workers.
- Mr Percy John Puddepha, Mrs Rosemary Puddepha, Mr Brian Puddepha and Ms Diana Puddepha trading as The Pines Hotel, Purbeck BH19, failed to pay £20,557.68 to 15 workers.
- Ramside Estates Limited, County Durham DH1, failed to pay £17,536.59 to 8 workers.
- Bedruthan Hotel Limited, Cornwall TR8, failed to pay £14,215.61 to 22 workers.
- First Rate FX Limited, Tower Hamlets E14, failed to pay £11,802.36 to 4 workers.
- D MacGillivray & Co Ltd, Na h-Eileanan Siar HS7, failed to pay £11,656.93 to 11 workers.
- Bournemouth Brewing Group Limited, Poole BH17, failed to pay £11,387.84 to 1 worker.
- Willerby Manor Hotels Limited, East Riding of Yorkshire HU10, failed to pay £10,133.13 to 37 workers.
- The Message Enterprise Centre trading as Shine Hair & Beauty, Manchester M22, failed to pay £9,936.05 to 7 workers.
- Headlam Leisure Limited trading as Headlam Hall Hotel, County Durham DL2, failed to pay £9,157.42 to 8 workers.
- Sabai Hairdressing Ltd., Newcastle upon Tyne NE1, failed to pay £8,144.38 to 6 workers.
- Regal Amusement Machines Sales Limited trading as Regal Gaming and Leisure, South Ribble PR5, failed to pay £8,081.93 to 74 workers.
- Global Voices Ltd, Stirling FK9, failed to pay £8,026.13 to 4 workers.
- Mrs Hardeep Sodhi and Mrs Salma Choudhary trading as Cape Hill Solicitors, Sandwell B66, failed to pay £7,917.22 to 1 worker.
- Cuba Lily (North East) Limited, County Durham DH1, failed to pay £7,917.09 to 26 workers.
- Black Yak Ltd, East Riding of Yorkshire YO25, failed to pay £7,728.09 to 2 workers.
- Low Wood Hotel (1958) Limited trading as Low Wood Bay, South Lakeland LA23, failed to pay £7,341.25 to 34 workers.
- Martin Bros. Removals Limited, Wiltshire BA12, failed to pay £7,251.55 to 3 workers.
- Nine Grounds Limited Alchemy, Bristol BS31, failed to pay £7,198.84 to 49 workers.
- Little People (Stanningley) Limited, Leeds LS28, failed to pay £7,035.11 to 5 workers.
- Dunnes Stores (Bangor) Limited, Belfast BT1, failed to pay £6,951.17 to 804 workers.
- Craydawn Pendley Manor Limited trading as Pendley Manor Hotel, Dacorum HP23, failed to pay £6,048.74 to 4 workers.
- Crook & Crook Limited, Highland IV2, failed to pay £5,726.77 to 2 workers.
- Mr Rex Hanson and Mr Robin Wright trading as Hanson & Wright, North Lincolnshire DN17, failed to pay £5,533.05 to 1 worker.
- Mobeen Restaurant And Takeaway Limited, Waltham Forest E10, failed to pay £5,433.99 to 1 worker.
- Mr Martin Brindley Station Cars, Wrexham LL11, failed to pay £5,303.74 to 1 worker.
- The New Ocean Hotel Limited, North Somerset BS23, failed to pay £5,206.33 to 11 workers.
- Brownbridge Limited, Bury BL9, failed to pay £5,174.82 to 5 workers.
- Premier Carewaiting Limited, Redbridge IG1, failed to pay £5,123.52 to 9 workers.
- Y & V Partners Limited trading as Imperial Oriental, Redbridge IG7, failed to pay £5,027.34 to 2 workers.
- Mrs Felicity Anne Reay trading as Cornhill Carriage Company, Northumberland TD12, failed to pay £4,974.26 to 1 worker.
- Fingerprints Nursery Ltd, Kirklees BD19, failed to pay £4,686.88 to 1 worker.
- Northumberland Hotel LLP trading as The Northumberland Hotel, Edinburgh EH16, failed to pay £4,685.39 to 2 workers.
- Mr Jeffrey Spencer Dennis trading as Spencer Dennis Joinery, Wirral CH41, failed to pay £4,653.32 to 1 worker.
- The Manor House Hotel (Castle Combe) Limited trading as The Manor House Hotel & Golf Club, Wiltshire SN14, failed to pay £4,613.85 to 9 workers.
- Keystone Properties (UK) Limited, Rochdale OL16, failed to pay £4,395.86 to 4 workers.
- Salon Syndicate Limited trading as Shapes, Edinburgh EH15, failed to pay £4,111.12 to 4 workers.
- Shield On-Site Services Ltd, Herefordshire HR9, failed to pay £3,912.24 to 1 worker.
- Mr Nicholas Jesse Mitchell and Mrs Angela Marie Mitchell trading as Alter Ego, Colchester CO1, failed to pay £3,722.17 to 5 workers.
- International Subcontracting Solutions Ltd, Guernsey GY10, failed to pay £3,664.89 to 1 worker.
- GST Partners trading as The Five Bells, St Edmundsbury CO10, failed to pay £3,574.18 to 2 workers.
- Loubnan Natural Foods Ltd, Ealing NW10, failed to pay £3,472.98 to 13 workers.
- Khela Enterprises Limited, Rotherham S60, failed to pay £3,380.31 to 2 workers.
- Mr Richard Short trading as Richard Short Plumbing and Heating, Worthing BN14, failed to pay £3,317.71 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Rena Muir trading as TRC Hair Design, Renfrewshire PA1, failed to pay £3,315.07 to 1 worker.
- Atlas Property Management Limited trading as Taylor Viscount Estate Agents, Bournemouth BH7, failed to pay £3,267.35 to 1 worker.
- UK Legion Marketing Ltd., Wirral CH41, failed to pay £3,227.56 to 1 worker.
- Total Site Maintenance Limited, Neath Port Talbot SA12, failed to pay £3,176.62 to 127 workers.
- Spina Ltd, Camden NW6, failed to pay £3,154.18 to 1 worker.
- Eventful Temps Ltd., Leicester LE4, failed to pay £3,087.52 to 39 workers.
- A Consultancy Services Limited trading as The Fallowfield Lodge, Manchester M14, failed to pay £2,995.41 to 7 workers.
- The Bear & Pheasant Limited, Stafford ST17, failed to pay £2,975.25 to 1 worker.
- Higginshaw Abattoir Limited, Oldham OL2, failed to pay £2,879.12 to 1 worker.
- Mr Dhimiter Arkelaos trading as Handy Andy Car Wash, Renfrewshire G51, failed to pay £2,852.76 to 2 workers.
- Future Salons South Ltd trading as Philola, West Berkshire RG14, failed to pay £2,842.6 to 1 worker.
- Hughes & Daughters Care Ltd trading as Blue Ribbon Community Care Tyne and Wear, Sunderland SR2, failed to pay £2,789.06 to 22 workers.
- Motherwell Football and Athletic Club Limited (The) trading as Motherwell F.C., North Lanarkshire ML1, failed to pay £2,755.34 to 12 workers.
- Methodist Holiday Hotels Limited trading as Raven Hall Hotel, Scarborough YO13, failed to pay £2,754.57 to 5 workers.
- Viking Energy Solutions Limited, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 failed to pay £2,606.97 to 19 workers.
- Vernon Community College C.I.C., Nottingham NG1, failed to pay £2,532.28 to 2 workers.
- Orient Property Services Ltd., Redbridge IG3, failed to pay £2,520.6 to 1 worker.
- G3rry Limited trading as Hughes Chemist, Glasgow City G41, failed to pay £2,423.74 to 2 workers.
- Rare Fashion Limited, Wiltshire L5, failed to pay £2,410.13 to 1 worker.
- Greenock Morton Football Club Limited trading as Greenock Morton F.C., Inverclyde PA15, failed to pay £2,382.46 to 6 workers.
- The Holiday and Flight Centre Limited, South Lanarkshire ML3, failed to pay £2,242.08 to 1 worker.
- Barbara Daley Hair & Beauty Limited, Liverpool L1, failed to pay £2,200.18 to 4 workers.
- Mr Ryan Edge trading as Francis and Ashley Hairdressing (previous owner), Dudley DY8, failed to pay £2,196.33 to 1 worker.
- Energy Controls Limited, Calderdale HX5, failed to pay £2,136.86 to 1 worker.
- Moorlands Travel (Kelty) Limited, Fife KY4, failed to pay £2,110.8 to 2 workers.
- Advanced Building (NW) Ltd., Salford M28, failed to pay £2,027.04 to 1 worker.
- AAM & Sons Limited trading as Cheeky Monkees Day Nursery, Stockton-on-Tees TS19, failed to pay £2,002.24 to 38 workers.
- Crystal Elderly Care Ltd., Croydon CR5, failed to pay £1,980.71 to 1 worker.
- The Works Stores Limited, North Warwickshire B46, failed to pay £1,963.01 to 41 workers.
- The Style Guru Limited, West Berkshire RG7, failed to pay £1,926.98 to 5 workers.
- Smile and Implant Ltd., Leicester LE3, failed to pay £1,917.04 to 1 worker.
- PC Solve Ltd trading as Ink2Print, Peterborough PE1, failed to pay £1,901.6 to 1 worker.
- Pizza Inn Wembley Ltd., Brent HA0, failed to pay £1,824.38 to 1 worker.
- Few Inns Limited trading as The Boot Inn, West Oxfordshire OX29, failed to pay £1,820.07 to 1 worker.
- Annandale Bed and Bath Service Limited, Dumfries and Galloway DG10, failed to pay £1,803.22 to 3 workers.
- Gisburne Park Estates Limited trading as Ribblesdale Park, Ribble Valley BB7, failed to pay £1,792.17 to 1 worker.
- Ms Fiona Victoria Marden trading as Legends, Wealden BN27, failed to pay £1,750.39 to 1 worker.
- Ambleside Inns Limited trading as The Alexandra, East Riding of Yorkshire HU18, failed to pay £1,741.78 to 2 workers.
- John Olivers (Ipswich) Limited, Ipswich IP4, failed to pay £1,662.84 to 7 workers.
- Bristol Rovers Football Club Limited trading as Bristol Rovers F.C., Bristol, BS7 failed to pay £1,651.86 to 52 workers.
- Antoniou Hair Fashions Limited trading as Antoniou Hair and Beauty, Canterbury CT1, failed to pay £1,629.17 to 16 workers.
- Elmic Limited Monroes, Dudley DY8, failed to pay £1,598.06 to 1 worker.
- Heyrod Construction Limited, Oldham OL9, failed to pay £1,588.6 to 1 worker.
- Norella Limited trading as Alexsa, Mansfield NG18, failed to pay £1,566.28 to 2 workers.
- Influence Conditioned Air Limited, Glasgow City G2, failed to pay £1,551.32 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Jennifer Preece trading as DNL Family Barbers, Cheshire East CW5, failed to pay £1,495.52 to 3 workers.
- Shawn Associates Limited, Luton LU1, failed to pay £1,458.77 to 1 worker.
- Mr Prem Kumar and Mrs Suresh Kumar trading as Acklam Road Post Office, Middlesbrough TS5, failed to pay £1,453.37 to 2 workers.
- Nightingales UK Limited, Warrington WA1, failed to pay £1,453.22 to 4 workers.
- Anthony John Salons Limited, Lichfield WS14, failed to pay £1,448.79 to 9 workers.
- Hillfoot Homes Limited, Clackmannanshire FK14, failed to pay £1,439.36 to 2 workers.
- Mr Bharat Savjani and Mr Vikesh Savjani trading as Sussex Service Station, Birmingham B12, failed to pay £1,430.66 to 11 workers.
- Rochdale Plastics Ltd, Rochdale OL16, failed to pay £1,411.93 to 1 worker.
- N K Hair Studio Limited, Oldham OL3, failed to pay £1,411.12 to 2 workers.
- Mrs Therese McMonagle trading as Teri’s Hair Salon, South Ayrshire KA9, failed to pay £1,408.92 to 2 workers.
- DGC Building Services Limited, Dudley DY1, failed to pay £1,377.84 to 3 workers.
- Subway South Limited trading as Subway, Bournemouth BH9, failed to pay £1,361.38 to 2 workers.
- Mrs Safira Pandor trading as Al Noor Playgroup, Kirklees WF13, failed to pay £1,297.72 to 1 worker.
- Nicholas Anthony Hairdressers Ltd, Bedford MK40, failed to pay £1,279.42 to 1 worker.
- Brynamman One Stop Limited, Neath Port Talbot SA18, failed to pay £1,252.76 to 1 worker.
- Provectus Medical Limited, Pendle BB9, failed to pay £1,224.51 to 1 worker.
- Lavender House (Ashburton) Limited trading as Lavender House Hotel, Teignbridge TQ13, failed to pay £1,220.24 to 1 worker.
- ERWA Limited Hand Car Wash, Walsall WS2, failed to pay £1,212.96 to 3 workers.
- Little and Shooting Stars Ltd, Wakefield WF5, failed to pay £1,192.97 to 1 worker.
- BM&AA Soluction Limited trading as A & K Hair Design, City of Edinburgh EH10, failed to pay £1,172.83 to 1 worker.
- Everstar Properties Limited, Harrow HA2, failed to pay £1,166.06 to 2 workers.
- AEH Hotels Limited trading as The Manor At Sway Hotel & Restaurant, New Forest SO41 failed to pay £1,165.72 to 2 workers.
- Whelan HotelCo Limited trading as The Wrightington Hotel and Country Club, West Lancashire WN6, failed to pay £1,142.32 to 19 workers.
- 5th Generation Limited, Oldham M35, failed to pay £1,125.34 to 1 worker.
- Blushes Hairdressing Ltd, Cheltenham GL50, failed to pay £1,112.94 to 2 workers.
- S M W Construction Limited, Preston PR1, failed to pay £1,090.71 to 3 workers.
- Mrs Sharon E Daniels trading as Clippers, Ashfield NG17, failed to pay £1,017.68 to 2 workers.
- Philosophi Limited, Glasgow City G1, failed to pay £1,012.49 to 1 worker.
- Innovate Services Limited, Woking KT14, failed to pay £1,010.18 to 2 workers.
- B & E Travel Limited trading as Barrhead Travel, Fife KY7, failed to pay £994.56 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Parvinder Kaur trading as Monkbridge Off Licence, Leeds LS6, failed to pay £986.56 to 1 worker.
- Jasi Company (UK) Limited trading as Costcutter, Plymouth PL2, failed to pay £981.56 to 1 worker.
- Admiral Care Ltd, Portsmouth PO3, failed to pay 954.23 to 1 worker.
- Mr Ali Goultekin and Mrs Gulsin Goultekin trading as Go West, Greenwich SE3, failed to pay £946.6 to 1 worker.
- Synergie+ Plus Ltd trading as Fit4less, Peterborough PE1, failed to pay £944.07 to 2 workers.
- May’s @ The Hollybush Ltd trading as The Hollybush Inn, East Ayrshire KA6, failed to pay £935.81 to 1 worker.
- Sandersons (UK) Limited trading as Sandersons Bakery, Blackburn with Darwen BB1, failed to pay £910.6 to 1 worker.
- Arran Brew Ltd, North Ayrshire KA27, failed to pay £872.77 to 2 workers.
- Ron Skinner & Sons Ltd, Blaenau Gwent NP22, failed to pay £863.5 to 2 workers.
- Mr Roger Simpson and Ms Emma Jones trading as Brightsparks Purley Way, Croydon CR0
failed to pay £847.69 to 1 worker.
- Swissport Ltd, Halton WA7, failed to pay £841.34 to 5 workers.
- Hardwick Supermarket Ltd trading as Hardwick Frozen Foods, Stockton-on-Tees TS19, failed to pay £837.2 to 1 worker.
- Ms Kate Ellen Khan and Ms Hayley Twist trading as Toybox Private Nursery, Wakefield WF1, failed to pay £828.03 to 2 workers.
- MMJ London Limited trading as Melissa McArthur Jewellery, Hammersmith and Fulham W6, failed to pay £819.02 to 1 worker.
- N & J Oxby Limited trading as Elite, Doncaster DN10, failed to pay £806.32 to 1 worker.
- Mr Mark Ghani trading as Sync Plumbing & Heating Solutions, Wigan WN2, failed to pay £782.16 to 1 worker.
- The Trouville Hotel LLP trading The Trouvile Hotel, Bournemouth BH2, failed to pay £781.51 to 11 workers.
- Mrs Andrea McKie trading as Angels Assisted Living Services, Northumberland NE42, failed to pay £772.45 to 1 worker.
- Mr Arie Ahmed Rasoul trading as Mini Sam, Corby NN17, failed to pay £771.76 to 1 worker.
- Budock Vean Hotel Limited, Cornwall TR11, failed to pay £765.58 to 1 worker.
- The Gentry Grooming Co (Merchandising) Limited, Salford M3, failed to pay £765.33 to 1 worker.
- Mr Robert Beercock trading as beercocks, East Riding of Yorkshire HU13, failed to pay £744.04 to 10 workers.
- Grayshott Leisure Limited trading as Grayshott Spa (under previous ownership), East Hampshire GU26, failed to pay £733.87 to 6 workers.
- Elenaz Limited trading as Ozmen Local, North East Derbyshire S21, failed to pay £702.16 to 1 worker.
- Alderforce North Limited trading as KFC, Brent HA9, failed to pay £699.79 to 23 workers.
- Mrs Arusha Korrin and Mr Anush Prem Korrin trading as Café Loco Shrub Hill, Worcester WR4, failed to pay £697.25 to 4 workers.
- Mr Karwan Kader Hassan trading as Best Hand Car Wash, Derby DE23, failed to pay £695.90 to 3 workers.
- Mr Darren Beaman trading as Darren Beaman Tailoring, Leeds LS11, failed to pay £689.90 to 1 worker.
- Mr Aidas Armonas trading as The Hand Car Wash People, Bath and North East Somerset BA2, failed to pay £660.19 to 6 workers.
- Rothwell & Robertson Limited trading as Ye Olde Bull’s Head Inn, Isle of Anglesey LL58, failed to pay £627.53 to 1 worker.
- Amish Wholesalers Limited, Barking and Dagenham IG11, failed to pay £624.79 to 7 workers.
- Mrs Lynne McCullough trading as Lynne Capelli Salon, West Dunbartonshire G82, failed to pay £620.65 to 3 workers.
- Tots N Tykes (Leeds) Limited trading as Tots N Tykes, Leeds LS28, failed to pay £619.73 to 3 workers.
- Mr Keith David Fearn trading as The Monaco Hotel, Merton BS23, failed to pay £607.76 to 1 worker.
- Nelson Recruitment Services Ltd, Birmingham B44, failed to pay £601.77 to 64 workers.
- Star Alliance FM Limited, Redbridge IG3, failed to pay £594.95 to 2 workers.
- Nursery on the Green (UK) Limited, Merton CR4, failed to pay £586.24 to 8 workers.
- Charlotte Murray Limited, Haringey N10, failed to pay £585.20 to 2 workers.
- Fletcher Contract Cleaning Limited, Allerdale CA7, failed to pay £569.04 to 10 workers.
- Copart UK Limited, Bedford MK43 failed to pay £567.06 to 4 workers.
- Shorter & Co (London) Limited, Greenwich SE3, failed to pay 560.28 to 6 workers.
- Kids in Charge (Making a Choice for a Better Future) Ltd, Redbridge IG1, failed to pay £552.15 to 1 worker.
- Forever Warm Homes Ltd, Newry, Mourne and Down BT35, failed to pay £535.68 to 1 worker.
- Gordon Hotels Limited trading as The Queens Hotel, Bournemouth BH1, failed to pay £534.18 to 3 workers.
- Essex and Suffolk Quality Care Ltd., Tendring CO16, failed to pay £517.4 to 2 workers.
- Edmundson Electrical Limited, Cheshire East WA16, failed to pay £507.09 to 1 worker.
- Falkirk Football and Athletic Club (The) trading as Falkirk Athletic F.C., Falkirk FK2, failed to pay £494.51 to 1 worker.
- Y2K Hair & Beauty Limited, Wiltshire SN15, failed to pay £483.5 to 1 worker.
- Mr Giovanni Francis Calandra trading as Calandras Menswear, Herefordshire HR1, failed to pay £481.66 to 1 worker.
- LFH (Woolley Grange) Limited trading as Woolley Grange Hotel, Wiltshire BA15, failed to pay £469.14 to 1 worker.
- 28 Low Street Limited trading as KH Hair, Ashfield NG17, failed to pay £465.29 to 2 workers.
Latest News from
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
Business Secretary outlines departmental action following Carillion liquidation16/01/2018 15:25:00
The business department sets out the steps being taken following Carillion’s liquidation.
Funding for thousands of electric car charge points unused by councils15/01/2018 10:12:10
Ministers write to local councils urging them to take up electric car charge-point funding.
Government agrees landmark Sector Deal to establish UK as world leader in future of mobility10/01/2018 17:02:00
First Automotive Sector Deal between government and industry is announced.
Government launches Small Business Commissioner to help small firms resolve payment disputes21/12/2017 08:10:00
The Small Business Commissioner will drive a culture change in payment practises to ensure small businesses are treated fairly.