Office of the Secretary of State for Wales
£2.2 billion of new UK investment opportunities launched
- Also published by:
- Department for International Trade
New homes and jobs will be created thanks to 11 new investment opportunities being promoted by the government.
- New £1.19 billion property investment portfolio launched in Wales
- Additional £1.01bn of investment projects launched in Durham, Harrogate, Swindon, Bournemouth, North Essex, Oxford and Bicester
- UK Government will showcase the projects at the world’s largest property exhibition MIPIM Cannes
£2.2bn worth of new investment opportunities, which will create new homes and jobs, were launched yesterday (Thursday 14 March) by the Department for International Trade.
Launched at international property event MIPIM, the new projects include an array of development opportunities in England and the government’s first Wales property investment portfolio.
Among the new investment opportunities on offer to international investors is a 444-acre ‘experiential’ resort in Oxfordshire and 3 new garden communities in North Essex, set to create more than 43,000 new homes over the next 50 years.
International Trade Secretary Dr Liam Fox MP yesterday said:
The portfolios we are showcasing at MIPIM represent the wide array of real estate investment opportunities the UK has to offer that can satisfy the needs of every type of international investor.
These developments will create more jobs and homes for our residents, delivering essential infrastructure and I am incredibly pleased my department, in conjunction with Homes England and MHCLG, have supported their launch.
Secretary of State for Wales Alun Cairns yesterday said:
This first Welsh portfolio presents a real opportunity for international investors to capitalise on our nation’s innovation and expertise.
I’m delighted to present a broad range of projects across all parts of Wales which demonstrate our strengths in sectors ranging from tourism to business and clean energy generation. Each opportunity showcases what makes our beautiful, resourceful country such an attractive destination for investment and business and I look forward to discussing them further with potential investors.
DIT will lead the government’s presence at MIPIM, where over 23,000 people are expected to attend, including investment representatives from over 100 countries.
The UK government will host a number of panel sessions at the UK pavilion throughout the week, discussing topics including the opportunities for investing in the Northern Powerhouse and devolved nations, and the impact technology will have on the real estate sector in the future.
The portfolios showcased at the UK pavilion have been put together by the DIT’s Capital Investment team which aligns with the greater governmental initiative to attract and support both local and foreign investment into infrastructure, property developments and energy projects throughout the UK.
11 new investment opportunities
- Cardiff: a mixed office and multi-storey car park development in Cardiff Central Quay
- Milford Waterfront: a leisure-focused development in Milford Haven
- Barry Island: Nells Point; a beachside tourism development on Barry Island
- Swansea: Phase 2 of a mixed development in Swansea Central The four new projects will be combined with two existing projects in Anglesey North Wales.
- Durham: Forrest Park; a logistics and light manufacturing business park on a 52-hectare site in Newton Aycliffe
- Harrogate: Future Park; a mixed manufacturing, leisure, retail, and technology development
- Swindon: Kimmerfields; a residential and commercial development with a hotel in Swindon’s business district
- Bournemouth: Winter Gardens; a residential development with restaurants, supermarkets and leisure space
- Oxford: a commercial development on the existing Culham Science Centre site on the outskirts of Oxford
- Bicester: Bicester Motion; a 444-acre ‘experiential resort’ comprising a hotel, conference centre and technology hub
- North Essex Garden Communities: three new garden communities across North Essex, providing up to 43,000 homes over the next 50 years
Latest News from
Office of the Secretary of State for Wales
Scheme for unaccompanied asylum-seeking children to be expanded07/12/2017 19:08:05
Home Office's National Transfer Scheme to be rolled out to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Wales' potential to prosper as an exporting nation18/03/2019 15:15:15
International Trade Secretary Dr Liam Fox MP and Secretary of State for Wales Alun Cairns MP on Wales' growing export potential (15 March 2019).
Swansea Bay City Deal independent review: UK and Welsh Government response15/03/2019 12:15:00
The intended actions of the UK and Welsh Governments in response to an independent review of the Swansea Bay City Deal.
10,000 troops from 13 countries arrive in the UK for major exercise15/03/2019 10:17:00
The UK will boost its defensive capabilities by hosting a major international military exercise for two weeks from 30 March 2019.
Defence Secretary sets out ambitious Defence Prosperity Programme14/03/2019 13:17:00
Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has reaffirmed his commitment to growing Defence’s contribution to UK economic growth.
Nine female innovators receive UK Government funding to develop inventions with global potential12/03/2019 13:51:00
Welsh innovator Dr. Jessica Bruce among female innovators receiving £50,000 UK Government funding on International Women’s Day.
Welsh Secretary launches Wales-France business forum11/03/2019 17:02:00
Alun Cairns outlines ambitions for the new forum at launch reception in the British Embassy in Paris.
Welsh Secretary discusses Wylfa Newydd Future at Hitachi HQ18/02/2019 16:20:00
Alun Cairns meets representatives from the firm at the start of Japanese visit.