Office of the Secretary of State for Wales
£2.2 billion of new UK investment opportunities launched
- Also published by:
- Department for International Trade
New homes and jobs will be created thanks to 11 new investment opportunities being promoted by the government.
- New £1.19 billion property investment portfolio launched in Wales
- Additional £1.01bn of investment projects launched in Durham, Harrogate, Swindon, Bournemouth, North Essex, Oxford and Bicester
- UK Government will showcase the projects at the world’s largest property exhibition MIPIM Cannes
£2.2bn worth of new investment opportunities, which will create new homes and jobs, were launched yesterday (Thursday 14 March) by the Department for International Trade.
Launched at international property event MIPIM, the new projects include an array of development opportunities in England and the government’s first Wales property investment portfolio.
Among the new investment opportunities on offer to international investors is a 444-acre ‘experiential’ resort in Oxfordshire and 3 new garden communities in North Essex, set to create more than 43,000 new homes over the next 50 years.
International Trade Secretary Dr Liam Fox MP yesterday said:
The portfolios we are showcasing at MIPIM represent the wide array of real estate investment opportunities the UK has to offer that can satisfy the needs of every type of international investor.
These developments will create more jobs and homes for our residents, delivering essential infrastructure and I am incredibly pleased my department, in conjunction with Homes England and MHCLG, have supported their launch.
Secretary of State for Wales Alun Cairns yesterday said:
This first Welsh portfolio presents a real opportunity for international investors to capitalise on our nation’s innovation and expertise.
I’m delighted to present a broad range of projects across all parts of Wales which demonstrate our strengths in sectors ranging from tourism to business and clean energy generation. Each opportunity showcases what makes our beautiful, resourceful country such an attractive destination for investment and business and I look forward to discussing them further with potential investors.
DIT will lead the government’s presence at MIPIM, where over 23,000 people are expected to attend, including investment representatives from over 100 countries.
The UK government will host a number of panel sessions at the UK pavilion throughout the week, discussing topics including the opportunities for investing in the Northern Powerhouse and devolved nations, and the impact technology will have on the real estate sector in the future.
The portfolios showcased at the UK pavilion have been put together by the DIT’s Capital Investment team which aligns with the greater governmental initiative to attract and support both local and foreign investment into infrastructure, property developments and energy projects throughout the UK.
11 new investment opportunities
- Cardiff: a mixed office and multi-storey car park development in Cardiff Central Quay
- Milford Waterfront: a leisure-focused development in Milford Haven
- Barry Island: Nells Point; a beachside tourism development on Barry Island
- Swansea: Phase 2 of a mixed development in Swansea Central The four new projects will be combined with two existing projects in Anglesey North Wales.
- Durham: Forrest Park; a logistics and light manufacturing business park on a 52-hectare site in Newton Aycliffe
- Harrogate: Future Park; a mixed manufacturing, leisure, retail, and technology development
- Swindon: Kimmerfields; a residential and commercial development with a hotel in Swindon’s business district
- Bournemouth: Winter Gardens; a residential development with restaurants, supermarkets and leisure space
- Oxford: a commercial development on the existing Culham Science Centre site on the outskirts of Oxford
- Bicester: Bicester Motion; a 444-acre ‘experiential resort’ comprising a hotel, conference centre and technology hub
- North Essex Garden Communities: three new garden communities across North Essex, providing up to 43,000 homes over the next 50 years
Latest News from
Office of the Secretary of State for Wales
Scheme for unaccompanied asylum-seeking children to be expanded07/12/2017 19:08:05
Home Office's National Transfer Scheme to be rolled out to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Chinese market access gives a multimillion pound boost for British beef18/06/2019 15:15:15
Good news for Welsh farmers who could see their beef served on Chinese dinner plates by the end of the year.
North Wales Employers’ Pledge Support to UK Armed Forces17/06/2019 12:17:00
The MOD’s Defence Electronics & Components Agency (DECA) signalled their commitment to veterans by signing the Armed Forces Covenant at a ceremony at their facility in Sealand, Deeside, recently, Friday 14 June 2019.
Welsh projects given the green light to develop the latest battery technology for electric vehicles14/06/2019 10:32:00
£1.4 million of UK Government funding allocated to battery projects across Wales.
Welsh Winners of the 2019 Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service announced03/06/2019 13:25:00
The awards recognise exceptional service volunteers make within their communities.
Alun Cairns: “The Welsh language plays a crucial role in our identity and culture”30/05/2019 10:15:00
Welsh Secretary demonstrates UK Government commitment to language in meeting with incoming Commissioner.
UK Government Minister for Wales Welcomes Progress on Mid Wales Growth Deal28/05/2019 10:05:00
Ceredigion and Powys Councils approve ‘inter-authority agreement’ committing them to collaborate on projects that benefit their regional economy.
Welsh company receives Board of Trade Award for exporting success17/05/2019 15:07:00
The International Trade Secretary awards Cardiff-based technology company Sure Chill with a Board of Trade Award (BOFTA).