£250,000 fund to support Armed Forces children in schools opens
A £250,000 Welsh Government fund to support Armed Forces children in schools is now open to bids from schools.
Last month, the Education Minister, Kirsty Williams, announced that the £250,000 Supporting Service Children in Education Wales Fund would be extended into 2019-20. 27 schools across Wales received funding for projects last year.
The fund helps schools provide additional support to children from families of Service personnel. The challenges can include the effects of moving from one school to another due to the location of the posting. It can also include the effects of parents or guardians in the Armed Forces being deployed away from home, either on operation or a long term training exercise.
The fund is administered by the Supporting Service Children in Education (SSCE) Cymru project, hosted by the Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA).
The closing date for schools to submit applications is 30th September.
Kirsty Williams said:
Ensuring equity of access to education for all children and young people is one of my top priorities and I recognise the particular challenges that Service children can face.
The Supporting Service Children in Wales Fund has been extremely successful, so I’m pleased to be able to continue this funding for another year, which has supported many interesting and innovative projects for Service children in schools across Wales.
Ant Metcalfe, Area Manager for the Royal British Legion in Wales, added:
The continuation of this fund is fantastic news. We know that the children of Armed Forces personnel can face particular challenges such as frequent school moves or the emotional uncertainty that comes with having a parent deployed, so it is right that schools try to find ways to better support those children.
We have already seen some fantastic successful bids in the fund’s first year and I look forward to seeing how this money is used to assist Service children in Wales going forward.
Councillor Debbie Wilcox (Newport), WLGA Spokesperson for Education, said:
Everyone involved with SSCE Cymru, hosted by WLGA, are very pleased that Welsh Government have confirmed the continuation of this fund. Schools in Wales are doing a fantastic job of identifying the challenges Service children face in education and working with SSCE Cymru to ensure they are not disadvantaged by their Armed Forces lifestyle. The Welsh fund will go a long way in ensuring this work is continued and good practice examples are shared.
School can submit applications at: https://www.sscecymru.co.uk/funding
Latest News from
Shielding people can meet others and exercise outdoors31/05/2020 09:05:00
Changes to advice for people shielding from coronavirus are being introduced from Monday 1 June, Minister for Health and Social Services Vaughan Gething has announced today.
Stay local to keep Wales safe: changes to the lockdown announced29/05/2020 13:25:00
Plans to allow family and friends to meet outside have been unveiled by First Minister Mark Drakeford as the strict stay-at-home coronavirus (COVID-19) regulations are eased in Wales.
Wales' critical care for coronavirus in numbers29/05/2020 09:05:00
Critical care has played a crucial – and often life-saving – role in the treatment of people who have been seriously ill after contracting coronavirus in Wales.
Welsh Government announce new £20 million fund to transform homelessness services and ensure no-one need return to rough sleeping28/05/2020 14:05:00
Housing and Local Government Minister Julie James has announced new funding of up to £20 million to help ensure that no-one in emergency shelter during the coronavirus crisis has to return to the streets or unsuitable accommodation.
New £150,000 fund to help digital firms develop technology to combat coronavirus28/05/2020 09:05:00
The Welsh Government has announced a £150,000 fund for healthcare firms to find new ways to use digital technology to combat coronavirus.
£640 million reaches businesses in £2.4 billion Welsh Government COVID-19 response27/05/2020 14:05:00
The Finance Minister Rebecca Evans will set out the extraordinary steps the Welsh Government has taken to dedicate more than £2.4 billion to the coronavirus (COVID-19)crisis when the supplementary budget is published later today.
Launching risk assessment to support BAME workers27/05/2020 09:05:00
A new risk assessment was yesterday launched to support people from BAME backgrounds in the NHS and social care in Wales.
Supporting the tourism Industry as visitors are asked to visit Wales. Later.22/05/2020 16:15:00
As another bank holiday approaches Minister for the Economy, Transport and North Wales, Ken Skates has been urging people to stay home and stay local.