Department for Work and Pensions
50PLUS Champions doubled ahead of National Older Workers Week
The number of 50PLUS Champions helping older workers into work has been doubled in Jobcentres up and down the country, the Minister for Employment has announced.
- Network of dedicated 50PLUS Champions across Great Britain is increased ahead of National Older Workers Week
- This builds on millions invested to support the over 50s into work as Minister for Employment and B&Q back older workers
Ahead of https://www.nationalolderworkersweek.co.uk, 77 50PLUS Champions – up from 37 – are now in place across England, Wales and Scotland, working directly with Jobcentres and employers to remove barriers that are keeping older people out of work.
50PLUS Champions work with jobseekers to change preconceptions about hiring older workers and ensure Jobcentre staff are supporting jobseekers to find roles or opportunities tailored to their skills to deliver for employers.
There are 83,000 more over 50s in work compared to this time last year. The DWP is supporting older jobseekers, with Midlife MOTs both online and in Jobcentres, helping people assess their skills and, make long-term plans for their work, wealth and wellbeing.
The news comes following a recent visit made by the new Minister for Employment, Jo Churchill, to B&Q’s New Malden branch. The company prides itself on having a multi-generational workforce with 35 percent of staff being over 50.
Minister for Employment, Jo Churchill MP yesterday said:
I know that work brings benefits to all ages, whether that’s improved wellbeing, making important friendships, or earning more.
As a Government, we are working hard to get more people into work and tackle inactivity.
Doubling the number of our 50PLUS Champions means even more jobseekers can access tailored support.
On this National Older Workers Week, I urge all businesses to step up and put age diversity at the heart of what they do.
Andy Moat, B&Q’s HR Director added:
We were delighted to recently welcome the new Minister for Employment to B&Q New Malden for her to hear at first hand from some of our older workers the benefits of working.
B&Q is a very multigenerational workforce, and we believe in creating an environment where people can grow, thrive, and truly be themselves.
We do this in many ways, including through our Apprenticeship programme, and we have Apprentices aged from 17 to 70 years studying to gain new knowledge and skills to help develop their careers, whilst continuing to earn the same rate of pay as others doing their role.
While in New Malden, the Minister saw first-hand how the business is supporting the over 50s into work, meeting with older Apprentices who highlighted the impact retraining can have on this age group.
The Government is investing £6 billion to tackle economic inactivity to get more people into work, including older people. This includes £2.5 billion announced this week as part of our Back to Work Plan, an ambitious package of employment support which will keep more people in work by helping them to manage their health conditions.
To mark National Older Workers Week, the DWP is organising numerous events across Great Britain, including jobs fairs in Oldham, Edinburgh, Bath and Newport all specifically targeted at jobseekers who are over 50.
- In the Spring Budget, the Chancellor announced an expansion of the Midlife MOT offer, with an ambition to reach up to 40,000 customers a year. This week DWP, HMT and DHSC announced a new Back to Work Plan to help 1.1 million people with long-term health conditions, disabilities or long-term unemployment to look for and stay in work.
- The Midlife MOT website is available online for anyone who wishes to access it, signposting towards financial, health and career guidance. The free website brings together trusted services such as the NHS and help like a jobseeker toolkit and charity resources.
- 50PLUS Champions are championing the needs of older workers, alongside supporting and upskilling Job Centre Work Coaches to maximise employment outcomes for this age group.
- https://www.nationalolderworkersweek.co.uk which was founded by Working Wise takes place from Monday 20th to Friday 24th November 2023.
- The week is in its third year and this year, Working Wise will host a series of events during National Older Workers Week, including sharing the latest insights and best practice to eliminate age bias.
Follow DWP on:
Latest News from
Department for Work and Pensions
Up to £600 winter support for Welsh pensioners29/11/2023 12:15:00
Payments of up to £600 are landing directly in the bank accounts of over 600,000 pensioners in Wales for the second year running.
Countdown to Deadline Day: Claim Pension Credit by 10 December and score extra £30029/11/2023 10:10:10
Those who apply before the deadline could qualify for an extra £300 Cost of Living boost thanks to Pension Credit backdating rules.
Up to £600 winter support for pensioners arriving in bank accounts27/11/2023 16:10:00
Payments of up to £600 are landing directly in the bank accounts of around 11.5 million UK pensioners for the second year running.
Autumn Statement ushers in new era of welfare reform24/11/2023 11:20:00
A bold new vision for welfare backed by nearly £30 billion has been set out by Work and Pensions Secretary Mel Stride.
Changes to data protection laws to unlock post-Brexit opportunity23/11/2023 13:12:00
Common sense changes to the Data Protection and Digital Information Bill will safeguard the public, prevent fraud, and unlock post-Brexit opportunities.
New ‘Chance to Work Guarantee’ will remove barriers to work for millions23/11/2023 12:10:00
A new ‘Chance to Work Guarantee’ will transform the prospects of millions of people currently out of work, supporting them to realise their aspirations and potential.
Employment support launched for over a million people17/11/2023 10:07:00
New Back to Work Plan to help up to 1,100,000 people with long-term health conditions, disabilities or long-term unemployment to look for and stay in work.
New Government Planner to help thousands of disabled university students into work15/11/2023 10:05:00
Hundreds of thousands of disabled university and higher education students are set to benefit from a new Government planner to help ease their transition into work.