Alex Salmond investigation: FDA response
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman, responding to today’s announcement regarding the investigation into Alex Salmond, said:
“The decision today to set aside the investigation into former First Minister Alex Salmond is hugely regrettable. The women who have come forward in this case deserve to have their complaints investigated fairly and a conclusion reached.
”This decision relates to a procedural flaw in how the investigation was conducted. It does not challenge the process itself or make judgement on the substance of the case. In these circumstances, subject to the wishes of the complainants, we would call on the Scottish Government to re-investigate the complaints at the most appropriate time.”
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the union for senior managers and professionals in public service, representing more than 18,000 members at grades HEO and above. Membership includes senior civil servants, government policy advisors, prosecutors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across the Government and the NHS.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk. General Secretary Dave Penman tweets as @FDAGenSec.
- For more information contact:
- FDA Communications Officer Tommy Newell on 020 7401 5588 or 07738 729 145 or email on email@example.com
- FDA Communications Officer Laura Gilbert on 020 7401 5589 or email on firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Scottish Government's public sector pay policy can be viewed here.
Latest News from
FDA opposes Treasury halting public sector pension scheme valuations31/01/2019 15:37:00
Yesterday, Chief Secretary to the Treasury Liz Truss announced that the Government will be pausing one element of the valuations of public service pensions.
The FDA responds to ERG Vice Chairman Mark Francois's attack on civil servants24/01/2019 10:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman yesterday responded to comments Mark Francois made in a recent Conservative Home interview.
The FDA wins overtime for Government Legal Department21/01/2019 09:20:00
After almost two years of campaigning, the FDA has won overtime payment for Grade 6 and Grade 7 GLD staff.
Civil service turnover: Without fundamental reform, Government “will only repeat mistakes of the past”16/01/2019 14:10:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman responded to the Institute for Government’s report Moving on: the costs of high staff turnover in the civil service.
Gender pay gap data "no early Christmas gift"21/12/2018 13:25:00
On 19 December, 18 Government departments published their gender pay gap data. Despite the timing, these findings are no early Christmas gift.
Scottish Government doesn’t truly value the work of FDA members13/12/2018 13:33:00
FDA National Officer Allan Sampson yesterday responded to the announcement of the Scottish Government’s public sector pay policy.
Standards Committee response: FDA raises concerns MPs may "kick Dame Laura's recommendations into the long grass"11/12/2018 13:25:00
FDA Assistant General Secretary Amy Leversidge yesterday responded to the House of Commons Committee on Standards initial proposals following the Dame Laura Cox report.
Depression, breakdowns and departments under pressure: the FDA finds the real impact of unsustainable workloads in the civil service07/12/2018 16:10:00
Excessive working hours culture is decreasing public sector productivity and negatively impacting the health and wellbeing of civil servants, an FDA study has found.
New harassment inquiry must not delay implementation of Dame Laura Cox’s recommendations, says FDA07/12/2018 10:25:00
FDA Assistant General Secretary Amy Leversidge yesterday responded to the announcement that Gemma White QC has been appointed to conduct an independent inquiry into the bullying and harassment of MPs’ parliamentary staff.