Serious Fraud Office
Anna Machkevitch found guilty of failing to comply with a Section 2 notice
Anna Machkevitch was today found guilty of failing to supply documents required by the SFO, contrary to Section 2 (3) of the Criminal Justice Act 1987.
District Judge John Zani ruled that Ms Machkevitch had unlawfully refused to comply fully with the Serious Fraud Office’s Section 2 request for documents.
She was ordered to pay a fine of £800, victim surcharge of £181 and the SFO’s full costs.
Lisa Osofsky, Director of the Serious Fraud Office, said:
“By failing to comply with our request, Ms Machkevitch has wilfully obstructed our investigative efforts.
“Section 2 powers are a fundamental part of how the SFO investigates and prosecutes serious fraud, bribery and corruption, and we are committed to challenging what we see as unreasonable non-compliance.”
Under a Section 2(3) notice, the SFO requested documents in relation to its ongoing investigation into suspected fraud, bribery and corruption at the Eurasian Natural Resources Company (ENRC), but Ms Machkevitch failed to provide all of the documents requested. Compliance with a request made under Section 2 is a legal requirement.
Ms Machkevitch is not a suspect in the investigation into ENRC. This prosecution was a separate matter relating to Section 2 non-compliance.
Notes to Editors:
- The trial began on 8 January 2020 at Hendon Magistrates’ Court. Following the trial on this date, District Judge John Zani adjourned the matter to 30 January 2020 at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.
- A Section 2 Notice, compelling Anna Machkevitch to supply documents, was issued in December 2018.
- Ms Machkevitch is not a suspect in the investigation into ENRC.
- Section 2 Notices are routinely issued to individuals who appear to have information of relevance to SFO investigations. Compliance is a legal requirement: under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice Act 1987, the Director of the Serious Fraud Office is empowered to compel individuals to appear for interview by SFO staff, produce specified documents requested by the SFO, and answer questions of provide information requested by the SFO. More information on the SFO’s Section 2 powers can be found on our website at www.sfo.gov.uk/publications/corporate-information/sfo-historical-background-powers/
- The investigation into Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation was announced in April 2013. Further information can be found on our website at www.sfo.gov.uk/cases/enrc
- Anna Machkevitch is represented by David Whittaker QC and Clair Dobbin, instructed by Hallinan Blackburn Gittings & Nott LLP
- The SFO was represented by Jonathan Hall QC and Mohsin Zaidi
- Trial was before District Judge John Zani
- The value of the SFO’s costs will be agreed by the two parties.
Latest News from
Serious Fraud Office
“Effective and proactive” recovery of the proceeds of crime23/07/2021 15:05:00
The Serious Fraud Office (SFO) has been praised by HM Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate (HMCPSI) for its work to recover the proceeds of crime, with cases “handled proactively and efficiently by dedicated and skilled staff.”
We’re defending the UK as a safe place for business30/06/2021 13:05:00
With every technological leap, the nature of global economic crime changes, too. The criminals we investigate move money and information around the world with increasing ease, speed and secrecy.
Former Unaoil executive ordered to pay £402k in confiscation18/06/2021 12:33:00
Following a hearing at Southwark Crown Court before HHJ Beddoe, the SFO yesterday secured a £402,465.65 confiscation order by consent against former Unaoil executive Basil Al Jarah.
SFO seizes £248k from fraudster with account forfeiture order08/06/2021 13:05:00
The Serious Fraud Office (SFO) has secured an account forfeiture order against an account linked to the criminal gains of Virendra Rastogi, one of the architects of a $700m global fraud.
SFO confirms investigation into Gupta Family Group Alliance17/05/2021 08:05:00
The SFO is investigating suspected fraud, fraudulent trading and money laundering in relation to the financing and conduct of the business of companies within the Gupta Family Group Alliance (GFG), including its financing arrangements with Greensill Capital UK Ltd.
SFO publishes Annual Business Plan 2021/2214/05/2021 12:05:00
The Serious Fraud Office yesterday published its Business Plan for 2021/22.
Serco Geografix Ltd Statement of Facts published28/04/2021 15:05:00
The Serious Fraud Office can now publish the Statement of Facts from its Deferred Prosecution Agreement with Serco Geografix Ltd, after reporting restrictions on its publication were lifted.
SFO offers no evidence against Nicholas Woods and Simon Marshall27/04/2021 12:05:00
The SFO has offered no evidence against Nicholas Woods and Simon Marshall. The Judge has directed the jury to return verdicts of not guilty.