Ministry of Defence
Autonomous supply to military front line: apply for contracts
- Also published by:
- Innovate UK
Businesses can apply for a share of up to a possible £3 million for supplying the military front line through autonomous systems.
The Ministry of Defence is to invest in projects that look at ways of using autonomous systems in the ‘last mile’ of the supply chain to front-line military operations.
Up to £1.5 million is available in the first phase of the competition. There is up to an additional £1.5 million in phase 2 that includes proposed system designs. This will only be available to projects funded through phase 1.
A third phase could include a longer period of trials and evaluation of promising proposals.
Last mile supply
Last-mile resupply involves delivery of combat materials from a physical base or logistics vehicle and is often challenging because of the hostile and contested environment. Although described as last-mile, real-life distances could be up to 30km in some instances.
Current ways of supplying the front line involve transport aircraft, helicopters, large trucks, trailers with quad bikes and soldiers on foot.
The challenge areas
This funding competition is particularly looking for solutions in 3 challenge areas:
- unmanned air and ground load-carrying platforms
- technologies and systems that allow load-carrying platforms to operate autonomously
- technologies to autonomously predict, plan, track and optimise re-supply demands from military users
The competition is for fully funded contracts under SBRI (Small Business Research Initiative).
- the competition is open, and the deadline for applications is midday on 21 June 2017
- the competition is for fully funded development contracts
- phase 1 contracts are likely to be worth between £40,000 and £80,000 and last up to 6 months
- a networking event for potential applicants will take place on 23 May 2017
- there will be a webinar for potential applicants on 30 May 2017
Latest News from
Ministry of Defence
HMS Sutherland to deploy to Asia Pacific, Defence Secretary announces on-board24/11/2017 16:25:00
The UK will send a second warship to the Asia Pacific region to strengthen relations with allies in the area.
MSPs discover more about life in the naval service24/11/2017 15:25:00
A cross party group of Members of the Scottish Parliament (MSPs) discovered more about life in the naval service at Royal Marines Condor, Arbroath, today.
Ministry of Defence awards celebrate commitment to the environment23/11/2017 13:15:35
MOD Sanctuary Awards recognise the commitment to sustainability from staff, volunteers, industry partners and contractors across the defence estate.
Military Aviation Authorities (MAA) certification of the P-8A Poseidon Maritime Patrol aircraft23/11/2017 10:15:59
This article focuses on the MAA certification of the Boeing P-8A Poseidon Maritime Patrol aircraft, prior to it entering front line service.