Crown Prosecution Service
CPS authorises additional charges against Kevin Spacey
Rosemary Ainslie, Head of the CPS Special Crime Division, said: “The CPS has authorised additional criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 63, for a number of sexual assaults against one man between 2001 and 2004.
"The CPS has also authorised one charge of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent. The authority to charge follows a review of the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police in its investigation.
"The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr Spacey are active and that he has the right to a fair trial."
It is extremely important there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.
The function of the CPS is not to decide whether a person is guilty of a criminal offence, but to make fair, independent and objective assessments about whether it is appropriate to present charges for a criminal court to consider.
The CPS assessment of any case is not in any sense a finding of, or implication of, any guilt or criminal conduct. It is not a finding of fact, which can only be made by a court, but rather an assessment of what it might be possible to prove to a court, in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors.
Notes to editors
- The CPS has authorised a further 7 charges against Kevin Spacey Fowler (DOB: 26/07/1959) for:
- Three offences of Indecent Assault in accordance with S15 of the Sexual Offences Act 1956 and in the alternative, two offences of Sexual Assault in accordance with Section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and one offence of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent contrary to Section 4(1) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 as the offending may straddle the commencement date for the 2003 Act,
- One offence of Sexual Assault in accordance with Section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003
- All the above charges are in relation to one complainant (adult, male).
- On 26/5/2022, the CPS authorised charges against Kevin Spacey Fowler (DOB: 26/07/1959) for:
- Sexual assault 1 – March 2005 London (complainant 1)
- Sexual assault 2 – March 2005 London (complainant 1)
- Sexual assault 3 – August 2008 London (complainant 2)
- Causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent - August 2008 London (complainant 2)
- Sexual assault 4 - April 2013 Gloucestershire (complainant 3)
- Four offences of sexual assault, contrary to section 3(1) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and one offence of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent, contrary to sections 4(1) and (4) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
- The CPS Special Crime Division deals with the most complex and sensitive cases in England and Wales including disasters, serious criminal allegations against police officers, corporate manslaughter and election offences.
Latest News from
Crown Prosecution Service
Road haulage operators convicted of involvement in an over £100m money laundering scam22/11/2022 10:20:00
Six defendants including a senior manager and two drivers of a road haulage business have been found guilty on Friday 18 November 2022 of running a large-scale money laundering operation involving in excess of £100 million in cash.
Burnley man jailed for murdering mother-of-two Katie Kenyon with axe18/11/2022 10:10:00
Andrew Burfield, 51, from Burnley, has been given a life sentence for murdering 33-year-old Katie Kenyon in April this year.
Gang leader avoids an extra seven years in prison by paying back the proceeds of his part in a dirty cash laundering operation15/11/2022 15:38:00
A well-known criminal gang leader has avoided another seven years being added onto his seven-year prison sentence after paying back £1,243,270.75, of his ill-gotten gains from a money laundering operation.
Fraudster sentenced for scam to deprive SKY TV of potentially over £13m revenue14/11/2022 15:33:00
Halton Mark Anthony Powell, 44, has been sentenced to two years and four-and-a-half months after pleading guilty to supplying articles for use in a fraud at Southwark Crown Court on 11 November 2022.
Online predator jailed for sexually abusing girls as young as 1214/11/2022 12:20:00
An online predator who forced young girls to sign a sexual contract with him has been jailed.
Couple sentenced to life for murder of 15-year-old boy following a campaign of torture and abuse07/11/2022 13:38:00
A couple who subjected a 15-year-old boy to a sustained campaign of physical and mental abuse have been sentenced to life imprisonment for his murder, at Leeds Crown Court recently (03 November 2022).
Serial romance fraudster scammed over £324,000 from victims04/11/2022 14:10:00
A high-value serial romance fraudster was yesterday (3 November 2022) found guilty of duping victims out of just over £324,000 in an investment scam.
Police officer and former constable sentenced for sharing grossly offensive WhatsApp messages03/11/2022 13:20:00
A serving police officer and an ex-police constable have been sentenced after being convicted of sending grossly offensive messages on a WhatsApp group.