Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation board announced
The UK Government have announced the Board members for the newly established Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation.
Today the UK Government have announced the Board members for the newly established Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation. Chaired by Roger Taylor, the board will have a key role in shaping the preliminary phase of the Centre’s activities, advising government on the measures which are needed to ensure the safe, ethical and innovative uses of data and AI.
The following people have been appointed today as the Centre’s Board members:
- Edwina Dunn, CEO of StarCount; founder and former CEO of Dunnhumby
- Professor Luciano Floridi, Professor of Philosophy and Ethics of Information at Oxford University. Director of the Digital Ethics Lab, Oxford Internet Institute, Chair of The Alan Turing Institute’s Data Ethics Group
- Dame Patricia Hodgson, former Chair of Ofcom
- Dr Susan Liautaud, Public Policy School at Stanford University; Founder of the Ethics Incubator
- Baroness (Kate) Rock, Member of the House of Lords Select Committee on AI
- Rt Revd Dr Steven Croft, Bishop of Oxford; Member of the Lords Select Committee on Artificial Intelligence
- Richard Sargeant, Chief Commercial Officer, ASI Data Science
- Kriti Sharma, VP Artificial Intelligence at Sage Group
- Dame Glenys Stacey (appointment February 2019), Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Probation
- Dr Adrian Weller, Senior Fellow in Machine Learning Cambridge University, Programme Director for AI at the Alan Turing Institute
- Professor Lord (Robert) Winston, Professor of Science and Society at Imperial College London. Chairman of the Genesis Research Trust.
techUK’s head of cloud, data analytics and AI Sue Daley welcomed the appointments made today:
“This is another important step forward in the establishment of the Centre we hope will play an important role in ensuring the UK is world leading in the development and use of responsible tech. To do that there is a real need to build the knowledge, capability and capacity needed to ensure that AI is developed and used in a way that is beneficial and ethical. The CDEI will have a vital role to play in supporting this and techUK is pleased to see a strong mix of backgrounds and world-leading expertise on the Board. The success of the Centre’s work will depend on industry being properly engaged. This is why techUK has suggested the creation of an industry expert working group that could provide direct input, advice and technical expertise to support the Centre’s Chair and Board as it begins its important work.”
Latest News from
The techUK podcast: Collaboration for public services25/06/2019 14:25:00
This month techUK's podcast explores how to make the most of technology tools that enable greater collaboration, and drive improvements in public service delivery.
Data report highlights full impact of data24/06/2019 13:25:00
A report released today by Dun & Bradstreet has shone a light on the way business leaders think about the role of data and how organisations are making the most of their data assets.
NAO Report on Data use in Government24/06/2019 11:25:00
techUK's take on the NAO's report on using data across Government...
Bank of England joins drive towards digital finance24/06/2019 09:25:00
Bank of England Governor, Mark Carney, announces sweeping new approaches to bring the financial system into synch with the digital age.
Why don’t more women found tech startups?21/06/2019 14:25:00
Sunday 23 June brings International Women in Engineering Day, a celebration of women working in engineering and the opportunities available. #INWED19.
A change of leadership at Government Digital Service20/06/2019 14:25:00
Kevin Cunnington appointed as Director General in the International Government Service.
National Data Strategy open call for evidence19/06/2019 16:25:00
DCMS has put out a call for evidence on the UK Government’s National Data Strategy.
Early Tech Career Network: Cyber Security Summer event19/06/2019 11:25:00
The next techUK Early Tech Career Network event will provide an introduction to Cyber Security with some fantastic guest speakers. Register now!