Charity Commission
Printable version

Charity annual return service 2017

The 2017 annual return service is available. You will need to submit your annual return for 2016 before you can do the return for 2017.

All charities have a legal responsibility to prepare and send an annual return to the Charity Commission. Failing to do so risks the public’s trust in your charity and its reputation.

The annual return service for 2017 is now available.

If you are having difficulties logging into the system, it could be that the service is experiencing high demand at that time – try it again later.

What you need to submit depends on your annual income. If your charity’s income is:

  • under £10,000, then you just need to submit your charity’s income and expenditure figures - the easiest way to do this is through the annual return service
  • between £10,001 and £25,000, you need to complete an annual return form
  • more than £25,001, you must submit an annual return form with a set of annual accounts as well as an independent examiners’ or audit report and a trustees’ annual report (TAR)

Our guide to the accounting essentials for charities will help you understand the type of accounts your charity has to prepare, and whether they need an audit or independent examination.

All Charitable Incorporated Organisation’s (CIO) need to submit an annual return and annual accounts. If your CIO has an income over £25,000 you also need to submit an independent examiners’ or audit report along with a trustees’ annual report.

Channel website:

Share this article

Latest News from
Charity Commission