Charity regulator opens inquiry into Hospice Aid UK
Inquiry to examine financial and governance matters at the charity.
The Charity Commission has opened a statutory inquiry into Hospice Aid UK (1092575).
In 2014 the charity was the subject of a statutory inquiry. During that inquiry the Commission issued the charity’s trustees with a formal action plan, which required them to carry out certain actions in order to improve the charity’s governance, to place it in a better financial position, and ensure its agreement with direct marketing agency, Euro DM, was transparent to the public. The report of that inquiry is available on GOV.UK.
A recent review of the charity’s 2018 accounts has raised a number of concerns which resulted in the opening of this new inquiry. The inquiry will look into:
- the proportion of the charity’s income that is applied for exclusively charitable purposes
- the adequacy of the fundraising arrangements and the extent to which these are monitored and managed by the trustees
- the extent to which the charity is solvent and financially viable
- the extent to which the trustees have complied with their legal duties and the advice, guidance and directions previously issued by the Commission
- the adequacy of the trustees’ policies and procedures in relation to the recruitment, appointment, monitoring and management of staff
- the extent to which potential conflicts of interest are identified and managed
It is the Commission’s policy, after it has concluded an inquiry, to publish a report detailing what issues the inquiry looked at, what actions were undertaken as part of the inquiry and what the outcomes were. Reports of previous inquiries by the Commission are available on GOV.UK.
Notes to Editors
- The inquiry opened on 20 September 2019.
- The Charity Commission is the independent regulator of charities in England and Wales; our role is to regulate charity trustees’ compliance with the charity law framework.
Press enquiries – office hours 0300 065 2123
Press enquiries – out of hours 07785 748787
Latest News from
Regulator opens statutory inquiry into Birmingham-based education charity, after continued non-compliance with governance requirements10/08/2020 12:20:00
The Charity Commission has opened a statutory inquiry into the Birmingham Education Trust over concerns about the management of the charity by its trustees.
Regulator urges donors to support registered charities to help those affected by Covid-19 around the world29/07/2020 12:20:00
The Disasters Emergency Committee Coronavirus Appeal brings together 14 UK registered charities.
Charity Commission Annual Public Meeting28/07/2020 09:20:00
Charity Commission Chair, Baroness Stowell, CEO and other directors invite you to the Annual Public Meeting on Thursday 1st October 2020 at 11am.
Convenors of SORP engagement discussions announced09/07/2020 09:20:00
SORP engagement process begins as convenors are appointed to take forward discussions on the next SORP.
Charity Commission launches statutory inquiry over concerns at Devon homelessness charity07/07/2020 09:20:00
Regulator escalates probe into management and administration of Humanity Torbay.
Charities receive over £32 million from dormant trusts03/07/2020 15:10:00
Charity Commission and UK Community Foundations call for more charities to join programme to release charity money, as future funding announced by DCMS
Charity Commission concludes inquiry prompted by dispute at South London charity03/07/2020 09:20:00
Charity Commission criticises a group of trustees of Wimbledon and Putney Commons Conservators over long-running dispute.
Christ Church Oxford - mediation required by charity regulator29/06/2020 15:20:00
The Charity Commission has told both sides in the dispute to enter talks.