Charity regulator opens inquiry into Hospice Aid UK
Inquiry to examine financial and governance matters at the charity.
The Charity Commission has opened a statutory inquiry into Hospice Aid UK (1092575).
In 2014 the charity was the subject of a statutory inquiry. During that inquiry the Commission issued the charity’s trustees with a formal action plan, which required them to carry out certain actions in order to improve the charity’s governance, to place it in a better financial position, and ensure its agreement with direct marketing agency, Euro DM, was transparent to the public. The report of that inquiry is available on GOV.UK.
A recent review of the charity’s 2018 accounts has raised a number of concerns which resulted in the opening of this new inquiry. The inquiry will look into:
- the proportion of the charity’s income that is applied for exclusively charitable purposes
- the adequacy of the fundraising arrangements and the extent to which these are monitored and managed by the trustees
- the extent to which the charity is solvent and financially viable
- the extent to which the trustees have complied with their legal duties and the advice, guidance and directions previously issued by the Commission
- the adequacy of the trustees’ policies and procedures in relation to the recruitment, appointment, monitoring and management of staff
- the extent to which potential conflicts of interest are identified and managed
It is the Commission’s policy, after it has concluded an inquiry, to publish a report detailing what issues the inquiry looked at, what actions were undertaken as part of the inquiry and what the outcomes were. Reports of previous inquiries by the Commission are available on GOV.UK.
Notes to Editors
- The inquiry opened on 20 September 2019.
- The Charity Commission is the independent regulator of charities in England and Wales; our role is to regulate charity trustees’ compliance with the charity law framework.
Press enquiries – office hours 0300 065 2123
Press enquiries – out of hours 07785 748787
Latest News from
Kingdom Life Ministries inquiry: Charity trustees disqualified after unauthorised payments of over £450k and cash withdrawals of over £700k29/11/2019 12:20:00
The charity regulator also issued an Official Warning to Kingdom Life Ministries.
Regulator appoints interim managers to two charities under inquiry20/11/2019 14:05:00
Continued concerns about management of Deacons Charitable Trust and Jalloh Charitable Trust.
Court finds former trustees of disability charity in contempt of court14/11/2019 15:20:00
Charity Commission is successful in its first ever application to the High Court for a finding of contempt of court.
New board addresses governance failings at Christ Embassy following regulator’s inquiry14/11/2019 11:20:00
Charity Commission reports on inquiry into Christian charity.
Commission appoints interim manager to Aid Convoy08/11/2019 14:10:00
Interim manager appointed to address continued concerns at charity under inquiry.
Charity regulator helps the public give confidently ahead of Remembrance Sunday08/11/2019 12:20:00
Advice on how to ensure your charity donations reach their intended cause.
Committee seeks views on charity accounting framework04/11/2019 08:25:00
The SORP-making body is looking for engagement partners that will form key stakeholder groups to help gather feedback and ideas for change.
Regulator investigates linked charities over financial concerns01/11/2019 16:30:00
Significant discrepancies in charity accounts raise serious concerns