Commission announces inquiry into funds connected with Sikh Youth UK
Charity regulator investigating funds held by unregistered organisation
The Charity Commission, has opened a statutory inquiry into funds held by and raised in connection with Sikh Youth UK. Sikh Youth UK is not a registered charity, however the Commission has jurisdiction due to the funds being charitable.
In October 2018, West Midlands Police notified the Commission of concerns relating to the organisation’s receipt and use of charitable funds. The Commission exercised its powers under Section 52 of the Charities Act 2011 to obtain copies of bank statements. The Commission’s analysis of the information obtained to date has identified a number of regulatory concerns which warrant further investigation.
The Commission therefore opened a statutory inquiry on 15 November 2018. The Commission has been unable to announce its investigation before now so as to avoid prejudicing criminal proceedings.
The inquiry is examining:
- whether those in control of charitable funds have properly exercised their legal duties and responsibilities under charity law in the administration of charitable funds held by the organisation;
- the financial management of the organisation;
- whether there has been private benefit to the trustees of the organisation;
- the organisation’s partnerships with other charities;
- the conduct of the trustees
The inquiry will also examine the organisation’s status in order to determine whether it is a charity in law. Those running the organisation have not applied to register with the Commission*.
It is the Commission’s policy, after it has concluded an inquiry, to publish a report detailing what issues the inquiry looked at, what actions were undertaken as part of the inquiry and what the outcomes were. Reports of previous inquiries by the Commission are available on GOV.UK.
Notes to Editors
- The Charity Commission is the independent regulator of charities in England and Wales. To find out more about our work see the about us page on GOV.UK.
- Search for charities on our check charity tool.
- While the Commission has been working closely with West Midlands Police throughout the inquiry, the Commission’s case is separate from any investigation the police may be carrying out in respect of the organisation, its trustees or individuals linked to the organisation. The Commission does not investigate criminal allegations; these should be reported to the police.
- The opening an inquiry is not in itself a finding of wrongdoing.
- *If an organisation meets both the legal test for being a charity and the registration criteria then its trustees are under a legal requirement to apply to register with the Commission.
Press enquiries – office hours 0300 065 2123
Press enquiries – out of hours 07785 748787
Latest News from
Commission inquiry finds charity was not carrying out any charitable or other activities16/08/2019 13:10:00
Charity watchdog removes Future Vision Consortium from the charity register
London school sold and shut by trustee who acted ‘without considering consequences’16/08/2019 09:10:00
Regulator intervention leads to reopening of Grangewood Independent School after serious mismanagement by trustee
Commission appoints interim manager to Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries International02/08/2019 16:20:00
Interim manager appointed to address continued concerns at charity under inquiry.
Regulator finds ‘trustees placed charitable funds at risk’, as it announces inquiry into fund for Rohingya refugees25/07/2019 12:20:00
Charity Commission issues advice to donors as it announces statutory inquiry.
Charity that ran a bar turns around following statutory inquiry19/07/2019 12:20:00
Charity regulator’s investigation leads to improved governance at Cymmer Workmen’s Hall and Institute.
New Charity Inquiry: Avicenna Global18/07/2019 09:20:00
Charity regulator opens inquiry into educational charity.
Regulating charities in line with changing needs in society17/07/2019 11:33:00
Charity Commission Chief Executive, Helen Stephenson CBE, yesterday delivered a welcome plenary at Nonprofit Academic Centers Council Biennial Conference 2019.
Regulator investigating eight linked fraudulent charities09/07/2019 16:37:00
Commission announces class inquiry following money laundering sentencing.