Continuation of decision-making in the Council and the European Council
The President of the European Council, the President of the Commission and the Prime Minister of Croatia, yesterday held the rotating Presidency of the Council, and decided the following on the work in the Council and the European Council:
- The capacity of the Union to take decisions must be upheld so as to ensure effective Union action to limit the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and to mitigate its effects, as well as to deal with other essential challenges for the Union.
- At the same time the work of the institutions needs to be adapted to take into account the current situation and to make sure that the risk of spread of the virus is minimised.
Specifically as regards the Council, this means that:
- Essential Council meetings will be retained;
- Non-essential or non-urgent Council meetings will be cancelled or postponed and, in some cases, video conferences will be held instead; where appropriate, decisions may be taken by written procedure;
- When meetings take place, measures will be taken to ensure that the participants will be safe.
For the period until 31 March, the following essential Council meetings will be retained:
- 13 March: Justice and Home Affairs (Home)
- 17 March: Economic and Financial Affairs Council
- 23 March: Foreign Affairs Council (in agreement with HR Josep Borrell)
- 24 March: General Affairs Council
- 26-27 March: European Council
The President of the European Council, the President of the Commission and the Prime Minister of Croatia will continue to consult on an ongoing basis.
Latest News from
Ensuring accountability for Sexual Violence and other violations of International Humanitarian Law23/09/2022 16:33:00
Ensuring accountability for Sexual Violence and other violations of International Humanitarian Law (22 September 2022).
Keynote address by President von der Leyen at Princeton University23/09/2022 14:33:00
Keynote address given yesterday by President von der Leyen at Princeton University.
Experts put forward recommendations on how to harness the power of culture for sustainable development23/09/2022 13:25:00
Ahead of UNESCO's World Conference on Cultural Policies and Sustainable Development, MONDIACULT 2022, taking place in Mexico from 28 to 30 September 2022, experts have issued a new report entitled “Stormy Times.
EU innovation performance continues to improve in spite of challenges23/09/2022 12:38:00
The Commission yesterday published the 2022 edition of the European Innovation Scoreboard, which reveals that the EU's innovation performance has grown by about 10% since 2015.
Declaration of Leaders’ Summit on Global Food Security23/09/2022 11:33:00
We, the leaders of the Governments of Spain, and the United States of America, the African Union, the European Union, Colombia, Germany, Indonesia, Nigeria, having met on September 20, 2022, affirm our commitment to act with urgency, at scale and in concert, to respond to the urgent food security and nutrition needs of hundreds of millions of people around the world.
EU announces historic €715 million for the Global Fund to save millions of lives from AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria23/09/2022 10:25:00
The European Commission recently (21 September 2022) announced a new record €715 million from the EU budget to the Global Fund for the period 2023-2025 at the Fund's Seventh Replenishment Conference, hosted by US President Biden in New York.
State Aid: Commission approves up to €5.2 billion of public support by thirteen Member States for the second Important Project of Common European Interest in the hydrogen value chain23/09/2022 09:25:00
The Commission has approved, under EU State aid rules, a second Important Project of Common European Interest (‘IPCEI') to support research and innovation, first industrial deployment and construction of relevant infrastructure in the hydrogen value chain.
EU-Australia: Council adopts decision for the conclusion of a framework agreement22/09/2022 16:33:00
The Council yesterday adopted a decision on the conclusion of the framework agreement between the European Union and its member states, and Australia.
CETA turns 5: a privileged partnership for sustainable growth and secure supplies22/09/2022 15:25:00
Yesterday marked the fifth anniversary of the provisional application of the EU-Canada Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA). CETA is a central pillar of the political, trade and economic partnership between the EU and Canada.
Non-transposition of EU legislation: Commission takes action to ensure complete and timely transposition of EU directives22/09/2022 14:33:00
The Commission is adopting a package of infringement decisions due to the absence of communication by Member States of measures taken to transpose EU directives into national law (referred to as ‘non-communication infringements').