Ministry of Defence
Cornish soldier killed during World War 1 is finally laid to rest
Private (Pte) Arthur Burt who served with the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry, has been honoured and has finally been laid to rest
Private (Pte) Arthur Burt who served with the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry, has finally been laid to rest after he was killed during World War 1. Private Burt was buried last week (Wednesday 10 April) during a moving ceremony at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) Guards’ Cemetery, Lesboeufs, on the Somme in France.
A bearer party from 1 RIFLES carry Private Burt’s coffin
The service, organised by the MOD’s Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC), part of Defence Business Services, was conducted by the Reverend Richard Begg CF, Chaplain to the 3rd Battalion, The Rifles.
A bugler and bearer party from1 RIFLES carry Private Burt’s to the graveside
Nicola Nash, JCCC yesterday said:
Being able to discover the identity of an unknown soldier is hugely rewarding and I feel privileged to be here to see him finally laid to rest by members of the present-day regiment. His bravery and sacrifice will always be honoured and remembered.
The firing party from 1 RIFLES fire a salute to Private Burt
Pte Burt was killed on 16 September 1916, during the Battle of Flers-Courcelette, which was part of the Battle of the Somme. He was found with several artefacts including a disc that was engraved with “Pte. A. Burt, 13201, 7th D.C.L.I.”. Following this discovery, the JCCC were then able to trace the nephew of Pte Burt, Mr Philip Lean, who provided a DNA sample which confirmed the identity of Pte Burt after more than a century.
Mr Lean and 8 members of his family were able to attend the burial to pay their respects. Brigadier Rob Thomson from the British Embassy in Paris was also in attendance. Current members of the Rifles paid their own tribute by providing the bearer and firing party.
Mr Philip Lean, nephew of Private Burt, surrounded by his family
Private Burt’s family yesterday said:
Our lad from Mevagissey was afforded an amazing military send off. Being able to be there as a family was really special and it was a privilege to attend.
Private Burt enlisted in the army as soon as war broke out in September 1914, aged 27. He signed up at the Keep in Bodmin, which had been the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry headquarters since the 1880s. Arthur joined the 7th Battalion and was soon sent to France after receiving his training. He was praised for his gallant and brave conduct during the attack on Guillemont on 31 August 1916 and was recommended for the Military Medal.
Reverend Richard Begg CF yesterday said:
It was an honour to conduct the graveside service of Pte Arthur Burt in the Guards’ Cemetery, Lesboeufs. After nearly 103 years, since he fell on the Somme, we were able to continue a work started by the Chaplains who served in World War 1, the devotion and dignity to the care of those who served and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service of their country.
Steve Arnold, CWGC Recovery Officer yesterday said:
It was a great honour to be able to recover Private Burt from the battlefield near Ginchy in 2018, over 100 years since his death. He is now at rest alongside 8 other casualties of his battalion who died at the same time. We will ensure that his grave, together with all of those who served and fell, is cared for in perpetuity.
A new headstone bearing Private Burt’s name has been provided by the CWGC, who will now care for his final resting place in perpetuity.
The headstone of Private Burt
Latest News from
Ministry of Defence
French authorities announce travel arrangements for D-Day 75 in Normandy23/05/2019 13:15:00
Vehicle permits will be required for travel in Normandy on 6 June.
F-35 Lightning aircraft take off for inaugural overseas exercise21/05/2019 13:15:00
The Royal Air Force’s newest fighter left its home base for Cyprus today to take part in its first overseas training exercise following introduction. This follows the announcement of their deployment to RAF Akrotiri in April 2019.
NCGI success at the GSE Geography in Government Awards 201921/05/2019 10:15:00
At the GSE Geography in Government Awards, 6 nominations from the National Centre for Geospatial Intelligence, part of Defence Intelligence, were shortlisted.
Graves of Two Kent Soldiers Identified a Century After Their Deaths in the Great War17/05/2019 15:15:15
The resting places of Captain (Capt) Cecil Thomas Tuff, The Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) and Captain Eric Wilson Edwards, The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment), have been identified more than a hundred years after they lost their lives during World War I.
UK and US pilots to prepare for frontline on state-of-the-art simulators17/05/2019 11:15:00
Defence Minister Stuart Andrew has announced that British pilots will be able to undertake simultaneous, virtual exercises with US counterparts based across the Atlantic using new cutting-edge simulation technology.
RAF Typhoons scramble twice in two days to intercept Russian aircraft16/05/2019 15:15:15
Royal Air Force Typhoons deployed in Estonia scramble for the first time since taking over the NATO Baltic Air Policing mission in the country.
RUSI Sea Power Conference 15 May 201916/05/2019 13:15:00
Admiral Sir Philip Jones KCB ADC DL keynote speech given yesterday at the start of the First Sea Lord’s Sea Power Conference at RUSI, London.
Defence Secretary keynote speech at the Sea Power Conference 201916/05/2019 10:15:00
Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt yesterday spoke about the Royal Navy and Global Britain.
Ilford Park Polish Home Residents Remember Those Who Fought and Died in the Capture of Monte Cassino 75 Years ago15/05/2019 15:15:15
As the sun shone down on the Ilford Park Polish Home in Devon, residents made their way from the church service remembering those who bravely fought and lost their lives during the Battle of Monte Cassino.