Dangers of swallowing mini magnet toys
Public Health Wales are warning parents of the dangers of toys with mini magnets this Christmas. It follows the case of a schoolboy from South Wales who had emergency surgery after swallowing 52 magnets from a fidget toy.
Jude is usually an energetic five year old, so his Mum Lynsey got concerned when her son began getting what she thought were recurring sickness bugs. They went to the doctor, where he was diagnosed with a virus, but the bouts of sickness continued for several weeks. One night he was in a lot of pain, so she took him to A & E. A physical examination and blood tests showed nothing abnormal. It wasn’t until the doctors scanned Jude’s stomach and spotted what they thought was a necklace that the problem became clear. Jude had 52 magnetic balls stuck together in a ring in his bowel. 7 hours of emergency surgery followed. Doctors had to cut the bowel in five places as the magnets were trapped. They also had to remove his appendix as one of the magnets had joined it to his bowel.
It was a week before Jude could get out of bed, but his Mum Lynsey is very relieved that he has now made a good recovery from his surgery. She urges other parents not to buy these toys at all;
“It was lucky that he was operated on that night or it could have been fatal. You don’t expect something so bad to happen from a child’s toy.”
Ingestion of mini magnets and button batteries can cause serious internal injuries if swallowed. Multiple magnets can stick together inside a child’s stomach resulting in the need for major abdominal surgery. Studies show that in around 40% of cases, children swallow the item without anyone noticing. In many cases the child may not initially show any clinical symptoms or signs either.
Sarah Jones, Consultant in Environmental Public Health, said:
“We are asking parents to think carefully before buying products containing magnets and button batteries for children. Mini magnet toys don’t make good stocking fillers. They should always be stored out of the reach of small children. Similar dangers come from children swallowing button batteries too. Parents should make sure the button battery compartment is properly closed and secure on all toys before giving them to children.”
Original article link: https://phw.nhs.wales/news/dangers-of-swallowing-mini-magnet-toys/
Latest News from
Official statistics show an increase in non-melanoma skin cancer cases in Wales31/03/2023 09:20:00
The first release of official statistics on non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC) - the most common form of cancer in Wales - has shown a seven per cent increase in cases over a four year period.
Number of people attending safe needle and syringe programmes falls by 27 per cent29/03/2023 09:15:00
The number of people who regularly attended needle and syringe programmes (NSP) in Wales in order to access safe equipment to inject drugs, reduced by more than a quarter in 2021-22, compared to 2019-20.
Primary care save 44,000 kg CO2 in first year of new greener scheme24/03/2023 10:15:00
GPs, community optometrists, community pharmacy and primary care dental practices across Wales have saved an estimated 44,088 CO2 this year – the equivalent of four round the world flights, or boiling more than seven million litres of water, by taking part in the Greener Primary Care Wales Framework and Award Scheme from Public Health Wales.
Behaviourally informed communications: A tool21/03/2023 09:15:00
science to better understand human behaviour can lead to more effective communication.
Addressing vaccine hesitancy and misinformation protects public health13/03/2023 16:25:00
While vaccinations are the most effective way to save lives and protect public health worldwide, public hesitancy, driven by misinformation, can reduce the success of vaccination programmes, disease elimination, or eradication, says a new report from Public Health Wales.
People in Wales help others to protect and improve their own mental well-being22/02/2023 13:10:00
Nearly three-quarters of people (73 per cent) in Wales actively choose to help others in order to protect and improve their own mental well-being, according to a new survey released by Public Health Wales.
Procurement doesn't have to cost the earth08/02/2023 12:15:00
Public Health Wales is urging anyone in the public sector to download their new guide and start reducing costs and cutting carbon whenever they are sourcing goods or services.
Harmful gambling; Early education key to addressing urgent public health issue01/02/2023 13:10:00
Early education, screening by frontline services and continued support through post-recovery are among the actions needed if Wales wants to reduce the devastating harms caused by gambling, says a new report from Public Health Wales.
Public Health Wales and Hywel Dda University Health Board response to independent review into Llwynhendy TB outbreak.30/01/2023 09:20:00
Public Health Wales and Hywel Dda University Health Board (UHB) have welcomed the publication of the independent review into the longstanding Llwynhendy tuberculosis (TB) outbreak, and have committed to learning lessons to build on the improvements that have already been made and acknowledged by the report.