Government Communications Service
Enter the Public Service Communications Excellence Awards 2019
Tell us about your excellent public service communications. Enter the joint GCS, LGA and LG Communications Public Service Communications Awards 2019.
From ensuring a diverse workforce and recruiting front line personnel to raising the revenue that supports essential public services, excellent public service communication has an extraordinary capacity to improve peoples’ lives.
Regardless of budget, discipline or channel we are seeking the best of the best, public service communications campaigns that make a real difference. From low cost / no cost and grassroots community engagement to large scale information campaigns, organisational change communications or large scale public information campaigns.
About the Awards
The Public Service Communications Excellence Awards were jointly developed by GCS, LG Communications (LGComms), and the Local Government Association (LGA) to celebrate excellence in public service communications campaigns and programmes.
They are free to enter and open to all public service communications professionals working in central and local government, health, emergency services and wider public service organisations.
A panel of senior public service communications professionals will assess entries against the Government Communications Service OASIS (Objectives, Audience insight, Strategy, Implementation, Scoring evaluation and outcomes) campaign planning model.
Winners will be announced at a special evening awards event and ceremony to be held 5 November at the Science and Industry Museum, Manchester as part of this year’s Public Service Communications Academy 2019, 5-6 November.
How to enter
There are two ways of entering the awards:
- Complete and return the Public Service Communcations Excellence Awards 2019 entry form to tell us about your world class public service communications; or
- Get creative and submit a short video (three minutes maximum) to showcase your campaign, using the OASIS framework to tell us how your communications made a difference.
Submit completed entries to GCSawards@cabinetoffice.gov.uk by close 30 September 2019.
Please ensure that your entry:
- Has been signed off by the Director or equivalent Head of Communications for your organisation;
- That you are content for this information to be shared with the participating professions and partners. Material from entries may be used in post-event publications and online to promote excellence and best practice in public service communications. Where applicable entrants should clearly mark any sensitive information or parts of their entry as ‘not for publication’;
- You have included all the information requested in the form, including campaign budget; and
- Include a named contact (include email and telephone) for any follow up queries.
Last year’s Excellence Award winners
HM Revenue & Customs: Self Assessment 2018
- London Borough of Waltham Forest: London Borough of Culture
- Counter Terrorism Policing: Action Counters Terrorism
- Department of Work and Pensions: Get to know your pension
- Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency: #FakeMeds
- Health and Safety Executive: Go Home Healthy
- Salisbury Council / Wiltshire Public Services Partnership: Wiltshire Public Services Partnership
- South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue: Our Firefighting Mum
- Ministry of Justice: MoJ Values
- Lancashire County Council: Thinking about Adoption?
- Scottish Government and Transport Scotland: Breathtaking Roads
- St George’s University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust: Nursing Recruitment
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Food is GREAT
- Department for International Development: Soccer Aid for UNICEF and UK Aid Match
- Birmingham City Council: Commonwealth Games HandoverManchester City Council: Manchester Together
- Network Rail: Small Talk Saves Lives
- Hertfordshire County Council: #justtalk
- Home Office: Disruptive Effects for Maritime Port Security
- Innovate UK: Women in Innovation
- Royal Air Force: RAF 100
Latest News from
Government Communications Service
GCS Apprenticeship and Internship 202020/11/2019 13:10:00
GCS are now accepting applications from departments, agencies and ALBs to host a GCS intern or apprenticeship for the programmes starting in 2020.
Public Service Communications Awards 201807/11/2019 15:20:00
Now in their fifth year, the Public Service Communications Excellence Awards were jointly developed by the leading public service communications professions – Government Communication Service (GCS) and LG communications – to celebrate excellence in public service communications campaigns.
Modern Communications Operating Model (MCOM 2.0) published05/11/2019 16:20:00
Government Communication Service (GCS) today launched the Modern Communications Operating Model: A blueprint for government communication (MCOM 2.0). MCOM 2.0 sets out the fundamental model and practices for effective public service communications.
How can you help your organisation live its values04/11/2019 17:05:00
Blog post by: Sara Vogt, Friday, 1 November 2019.
Shortlist announced Communications Excellence Awards28/10/2019 10:25:00
Congratulations to the shortlisted entries and a huge thank you to everyone who entered this year’s awards.
Congratulations to the Ministry of Defence for winning Campaign of the Month24/09/2019 09:10:00
The Ministry of Defence’s D-Day 75 campaign has won August’s GCS Campaign of the Month competition. This campaign marked the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings, placing Veterans at the heart of the campaign.