European Council (Art. 50) 21 March 2019
- The European Council takes note of the letter of Prime Minister Theresa May of 20 March 2019.
- In response, the European Council approves the Instrument relating to the Withdrawal Agreement and the Joint Statement supplementing the Political Declaration agreed between the European Commission and the government of the United Kingdom in Strasbourg on 11 March 2019.
- The European Council agrees to an extension until 22 May 2019, provided the Withdrawal Agreement is approved by the House of Commons next week. If the Withdrawal Agreement is not approved by the House of Commons next week, the European Council agrees to an extension until 12 April 2019 and expects the United Kingdom to indicate a way forward before this date for consideration by the European Council.
- The European Council reiterates that there can be no opening of the Withdrawal Agreement that was agreed between the Union and the United Kingdom in November 2018. Any unilateral commitment, statement or other act should be compatible with the letter and the spirit of the Withdrawal Agreement.
- The European Council calls for work to be continued on preparedness and contingency at all levels for the consequences of the United Kingdom’s withdrawal, taking into account all possible outcomes.
- The European Council will remain seized of the matter.
Latest News from
The Conference on the Future of Europe gets green light from the Council08/03/2021 16:33:00
The Council of the EU gave its approval to the joint declaration on the Conference on the Future of Europe, aimed at involving citizens in a wide-ranging debate on Europe's future in the coming decade and beyond, including in the light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Statement by President von der Leyen following her phone call with President of the United States Joe Biden08/03/2021 15:25:00
Statement given recently (05 March 2021) by President von der Leyen following her phone call with President of the United States Joe Biden.
EU adopts €130 million support package for Syrian refugees and local communities in Jordan and Lebanon08/03/2021 13:25:00
The European Union, via the Regional Trust Fund in Response to the Syrian crisis, recently (04 March 2021) adopted a €130 million assistance package to support Syrian refugees and local communities in Jordan and Lebanon in key areas such as social protection, healthcare services or waste management.
International Women's Day 2021: COVID-19 pandemic is a major challenge for gender equality08/03/2021 12:38:00
Tthe Commission recently published its 2021 report on gender equality in the EU, that shows the negative impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on women.
EU and U.S. agree to suspend all tariffs linked to the Airbus and Boeing disputes08/03/2021 11:33:00
The EU and U.S. recently (05 March 2021) agreed to suspend all retaliatory tariffs on EU and U.S. exports imposed in the Airbus and Boeing disputes for a four-month period.
The European Pillar of Social Rights: turning principles into actions05/03/2021 10:38:00
The Commission yesterday set out its ambition for a strong Social Europe that focuses on jobs and skills for the future and paves the way for a fair, inclusive and resilient socio-economic recovery. T
Council approves €330 billion cohesion legislative package05/03/2021 09:25:00
The EU is making available over €330 billion for regional and local projects in 2021-2027 through the structural funds to help reduce economic disparities and boost the recovery from the pandemic.
Pay Transparency: Commission proposes measures to ensure equal pay for equal work05/03/2021 08:15:00
The European Commission yesterday presented a proposal on pay transparency to ensure that women and men in the EU get equal pay for equal work.
EIB provides €7.5 million to Austrian artificial intelligence software innovator Cortical.io04/03/2021 16:33:00
The European Investment Bank (EIB) is providing €7.5 million to Cortical.io AG, an Austrian software company developing innovative artificial intelligence technology based on a Natural Language Understanding (NLU) approach that can interpret and process human language text.