European Globalisation Adjustment Fund: €5.4 million to support 801 dismissed workers in air transport and warehousing in Sardinia
The European Commission yesterday proposed to support over 800 dismissed workers in Sardinia, Italy. These 801 people include 611 former Air Italy workers and 190 former workers of Porto Canale in Cagliari, who lost their jobs as a consequence of restructuring and globalisation.
The proposed €5.4 million from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund for Displaced Workers (EGF) will help these workers to find new jobs through further education or training, or to start their own business.
Commissioner for Jobs and Social Rights, Nicolas Schmit, yesterday said:
"Sardinia has a small labour market due to its insularity and location far away from the mainland. The Commission has proposed the €5.4 million financial support from the European Globalisation Fund to give the dismissed workers additional active labour market measures they need to relaunch their careers.”
The redundancies in Porto Canale are related to the end of operations at the port of Cagliari, following the relocation of cargo shipping operations to locations that offer land connections with the rest of Italy and Europe. The dismissals in the airline Air Italy are the result of various issues that were unforeseen and meant that Air Italy could not create business as planned. This led Air Italy to stop operations in February 2020.
The €5.4 million in support from the EGF will help the Sardinian authorities to finance measures including career guidance and individualised job-search support. Training will also help to improve digital skills of dismissed workers and therefore contribute to the digital transition in the logistics and goods movements sectors. Participants can receive allowances for participating in these support measures.
The total estimated cost of the support measures is €6.3 million, of which the EGF will cover 85% (€5.4 million). The Region of Sardinia will cover the remaining 15%.
The Commission's proposals require approval by the European Parliament and the Council.
Latest News from
European Semester Spring Package: Sustaining a green and sustainable recovery in the face of increased uncertainty24/05/2022 10:25:00
The European Commission's 2022 European Semester Spring Package provides Member States with support and guidance two years on from the first impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and in the midst of Russia's ongoing invasion of Ukraine.
Commission (Eurostat) publishes 2022 report on Sustainable Development Goals in the European Union24/05/2022 09:25:00
Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union, yesterday published the ‘Sustainable development in the European Union – 2022 monitoring report on progress towards the SDGs in an EU context', which provides a statistical overview of progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the EU.
State aid: Commission approves €16 million Finnish scheme to support farmers in context of Russia's invasion of Ukraine23/05/2022 16:33:00
The European Commission has approved a €16 million Finnish scheme to support the agricultural sector in the context of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Hong Kong: EU report sees a continued deterioration of fundamental freedoms23/05/2022 15:25:00
The European Commission and the High Representative recently (20 May 2022) reported on political and economic developments in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
Increased support for EU farmers through rural development funds23/05/2022 14:33:00
The European Commission proposed an exceptional measure funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) to allow Member States to pay a one-off lump sum to farmers and agri-food businesses affected by significant increases in input costs.
Macao: EU report highlights increasing challenges to political rights and fundamental freedoms23/05/2022 13:25:00
The European Commission and the High Representative recently (20 May 2022) reported on political and economic developments in the Macao Special Administrative Region, covering 2021.
EU disburses €600 million in Macro-Financial Assistance to Ukraine23/05/2022 12:38:00
The European Commission, on behalf of the EU, recently (20 May 2022) disbursed €600 million in Macro-Financial Assistance (MFA) to Ukraine. Following Russia's unprovoked and unjustified invasion, this urgent financial support helps Ukraine address its acute financing gap related to its exceptional humanitarian and defence needs.
State aid: Commission approves €500 million Luxembourgish scheme to support companies in context of Russia's invasion of Ukraine23/05/2022 11:33:00
The European Commission has approved a €500 million Luxembourgish guarantee scheme to support companies across sectors in the context of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.