Serious Fraud Office
Ex-CEO and COO of collapsed oil giant, Afren Plc, charged with Money Laundering and Fraud over $400m Nigerian business deals
Today the Serious Fraud Office will bring charges against the ex-Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer of former FTSE 250 oil and gas exploration company, Afren Plc.
Osman Shahenshah and Shahid Ullah stand accused over payments they received via secret companies they controlled relating to over $400m of Nigeria business deals.
The alleged fraud is claimed to have led to the collapse of the $2.6bn oil giant by their administrators, who in related civil claims are seeking damages in excess of $500m from the defendants and a Nigerian associate.
Shahenshah and Ullah will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court tomorrow, charged with the following offences:
- Two counts of fraud by abuse of position, contrary to sections 1 and 4 of the Fraud Act 2006.
- One count of money laundering, contrary to section 328 of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
- One count of money laundering, contrary to section 329 of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
Case updates will be available on our website.
Notes to editors:
- The SFO opened its investigation into Afren Plc in June 2015. It has not been previously announced.
- Osman Shahenshah was the Chief Executive Officer, Shahid Ullah was the Chief Operating Officer of Afren Plc
- Afren Plc was an oil and gas exploration and production company, founded in 2004. The company is now in administration.
- The strict liability rule in the Contempt of Court Act 1981 applies.
Latest News from
Serious Fraud Office
Two charged in SFO’s Unaoil investigation17/11/2017 17:02:00
Yesterday the Serious Fraud Office charged two individuals in relation to the Unaoil investigation.
Guilty pleas in the United States arising from investigations into Rolls-Royce’s former Energy Division09/11/2017 09:15:00
Three ex-employees of Rolls-Royce’s former Energy division, James Finley, Keith Barnett and Louis Zuurhout, have pleaded guilty to bribery and corruption offences in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio Eastern Division.
Three men sentenced in $20m Angolan oil corruption case23/10/2017 11:20:00
Three former senior employees of the F.H Bertling group were recently sentenced at Southwark Crown Court.
SFO secures seven convictions in $20m F.H. Bertling corruption case26/09/2017 15:05:00
It can today be reported that F.H Bertling Ltd and six current and former employees have been convicted of conspiracy to make corrupt payments to an Angolan state oil company agent, Sonangol, to secure and retain a freight and forwarding contract worth approximately $20m.