Exam Top Tips: Preparing for your ITIL and PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
Blog posted by: Amy Metcalfe and Craig Smith, AXELOS Publications Team, 12 March 2020.
Here are our top tips to assist you on your ITIL® or PRINCE2® journey:
- Start with an official training course and exam. We recommend aspiring project and service managers begin their journey with an official course from an accredited training provider. The accompanying certification will demonstrate to your colleagues and employers that you have acquired a strong understanding of our best practice.
- Read around the topic. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the pre-course reading that the trainer provides. It will give you a basis of knowledge on which to build your learning. Additionally, there is a wide variety of interesting and relevant content on our website (axelos.com) that will illuminate and enthuse you.
- Make lots of notes. Making notes will embed the learning in your mind. (Make sure your notes are legible, so you can read them when revising).
- Ask questions. The trainer is there to help. Ask as many questions as you like to ensure you understand the concepts and exam format. (Remember, there are no stupid questions!)
- Use real world examples. Your trainer will use real examples from the world of service management and project management to bring the best practice to life. Don’t be afraid to ask how ITIL or PRINCE2 relates to your own working experience.
- Sit the sample papers. The sample papers help you to become familiar with the exam format and allow you to benchmark your knowledge. Studying the questions you got right, as well as the ones you got wrong, will help you clarify your understanding of the learning rationale.
Be aware: the sample papers that you sit on Day One will contain questions about material that won’t have been introduced at that point. Don’t be discouraged! Those topics will be covered on Day Two.
Download the sample papers.
- Use study aids. We worked with our official publisher, TSO, to create revision apps for ITIL 4 Foundation and PRINCE2 Foundation. They contain hundreds of sample questions, along with the rationales for the answers.
- Join AXELOS' Successful Candidates Register. The trainer will ask you to join the Successful Candidates Register. The Register allows employers, recruiters and training organizations to affirm that you’re certified, which can open the door to future work or further certification.
Latest News from
How to manage a global team working from home27/05/2020 13:20:00
Blog posted by: Allan Thomson – PPM Product Ambassador, AXELOS, 26 May 2020.
How Technology is changing the way we work26/05/2020 13:20:00
Blog posted by: Rasha Akar, AXELOS Social Media Lead, 22 May 2020.
IT and the CIO: custodians of “employee experience”21/05/2020 17:14:00
Blog posted by: Bob Roark – service management expert at Bobroark.com, 21 May 2020.
ITIL 4 and automation – opening up improvement and transformation20/05/2020 13:20:00
Blog posted by: Charlie Miles – Pink Elephant, 19 May 2020.
ITIL 4: getting in shape for modern service management18/05/2020 13:20:00
Blog posted by: Barry Corless – lead author, ITIL 4 incident and problem management practices, 15 May 2020.
PRINCE2: 30 years-plus giving "accidental project management" coherent principles14/05/2020 15:20:00
Blog posted by: John Edmonds – PPM Portfolio Development Manager, AXELOS, 14 May 2020.
Cultural transformation – vital for business and digital transformation success13/05/2020 13:20:00
Blog posted by: Leif Andersson – Owner, coach at Illumineight, 12 May 2020.
ITIL 4 Specialist Create, Deliver and Support: optimizing work methods11/05/2020 11:20:00
Blog posted by: David Billouz – Founder, Ociris and ITIL Product Ambassador, 07 May 2020.