FDA welcomes “overdue” lifting of 1% pay cap in Scotland
FDA welcomes overdue lifting of 1% pay cap in Scotland
The FDA has welcomed the announcement by Scottish Cabinet Secretary for Finance, Derek Mackay, that the 1% pay cap affecting civil servants will be lifted in Scotland from next year.
The announcement follows meetings last month between the FDA and other civil service unions and Mr Mackay and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, where we pressed the case for ending the cap.
Responding to the move, FDA National Officer for Scotland Allan Sampson said: "We welcome the Scottish Government's commitment to end the pay cap, which has resulted in a massive decrease in the value of our members' take-home pay since 2010.
“With inflation now rising sharply, and predicted to rise further, the removal of this cap is both necessary and overdue.
“We now have to urgently explore ways to ensure members can benefit from this change of approach as early as possible."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals at grade HEO and above. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, diplomats, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants’ union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
For further information contact:
- Allan Sampson, FDA National Officer for Scotland, tel: 0131 226 4708
- Matt Foster, FDA Communications Officer, tel: 07982 514 524
Latest News from
Pay cap announcement will satisfy no one, says FDA union13/09/2017 17:12:00
Dave Penman, General Secretary of the FDA Union for senior managers and professionals in public service has responded to yesterday's announcement on the public sector pay cap.
Government must take “concrete action” to end public sector pay cap, says FDA union05/09/2017 09:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman yesterday responded to reports published that the Government will scrap the public sector pay cap.
Report attacking DWP pay shows “blatant disregard for the facts”, says FDA union15/08/2017 10:20:00
Jawad Raza, FDA National Officer for DWP yesterday responded to a report in the Mirror naming and shaming civil servants working in the DWP for their remuneration.
Ministers’ allies are peddling myths on Senior Civil Service pay, says FDA union03/08/2017 13:32:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman yesterday responded to reports that International Development Secretary Priti Patel has called for Senior Civil Service pay to be further “restrained”.