WiredGov Newswire (news from other organisations)
FRC: Review of 2016 Audit Standards
The Financial Reporting Council (FRC) is consulting with stakeholders to determine how effective the changes to ethical and auditing standards in 2016 have been in delivering high quality audit, and whether further steps are now needed to strengthen auditor independence, reduce conflicts, improve quality and preserve trust in independent audit.
The standards were introduced to support the implementation of new UK legislation in June 2016 addressing the requirements of the EU’s Audit Regulation and Directive.
The aims of the review of the standards are to:
- gather feedback on whether the changes made to standards have had the desired impact on auditor independence, prevention of conflicts and on audit quality. Responses to the call for feedback will supplement lessons learned from the FRC’s own audit inspection and enforcement work,
- consider whether further measures are needed to address weaknesses, and ensure that audit better meets the expectations of those who rely on it, and
- consider whether auditor reporting and communication with those charged with governance could be further strengthened to better meet the needs and expectations of users.
Mike Suffield, Executive Director for Audit at the FRC, said,
“High-profile audit failures and a fall in quality identified by our inspection work make this the right time to look afresh at the standards that we introduced in 2016. Through this review we aim to address potential weaknesses and ensure that audit better meets the expectations of those who rely on it.”
Feedback and responses to the FRC’s review questions (LINK) should be sent by email to AAT@frc.org.uk and marked for the attention of James Ferris. Feedback should be received by 5pm on Friday, 15 February 2019.
Notes to editors:
- The FRC’s mission is to promote transparency and integrity in business. The FRC sets the UK Corporate Governance and Stewardship Codes and UK standards for accounting and actuarial work; monitors and takes action to promote the quality of corporate reporting; and operates independent enforcement arrangements for accountants and actuaries. As the competent authority for audit in the UK the FRC sets auditing and ethical standards and monitors and enforces audit quality.
- All Press enquiries should be directed to:
- Peter Timberlake, Head of Communications, on telephone: 020 7492 2397/ 07768 502332, or email: email@example.com.
- Rita Carolan, Communications Manager, on telephone: 020 7492 2307 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alana Sinnen, Communications Manager, on telephone: 020 7492 2395 or email: email@example.com.
Latest News from
WiredGov Newswire (news from other organisations)
Unite: Birmingham NHS maintenance & facilities staff to strike in ‘transfer to tax avoiding company’ row14/06/2019 16:05:00
About 40 NHS maintenance and facilities staff at Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, who face being transferred to a wholly owned subsidiary (WOS) designed to avoid paying tax, will strike for three days later this month.
CIPD - People Skills Hub launched to help small firms improve their people management skills13/06/2019 16:40:00
Free online hub launched to help smaller firms improve their people management knowledge, processes and practices
New approach to leadership development, diversity and supporting CEOs required – new NHS Confederation report13/06/2019 15:40:00
A report published today by the NHS Confederation outlines the views of new NHS chief executives on the changes in leadership approach and culture that they believe will be required if the NHS is to meet the ambitions of the Long Term Plan.
TUC: Every worker deserves the right to guaranteed hours13/06/2019 15:18:00
617,000 people working less than 16 hours want more hours.
Wales Audit Office - Four health boards in Wales over-spend again13/06/2019 14:40:00
Some positive progress but Auditor General unable to give a clean bill of health to four health board accounts for third year running
CBI responds to Net-Zero announcement13/06/2019 14:37:00
The CBI responded to the Prime Minister's announcement that the UK will be the first country in the world to legislate to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
CIPD comments on latest official labour market statistics13/06/2019 13:40:00
More older workers and women are entering the UK labour market
FRC: Sanctions against PwC and partners in relation to Redcentric plc13/06/2019 13:15:00
The Financial Reporting Council (FRC) has issued a Final Decision Notice under the Audit Enforcement Procedure and imposed sanctions against PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (“PwC”), and two partners Jaskamal Sarai and Arif Ahmad, in relation to the statutory audits of the financial statements of Redcentric plc for the financial years ending 31 March 2015 (“FY2015”) and 31 March 2016 (“FY2016”).
Buy Now Pay Later rules won’t stop people being hit by these unexpected costs, says Citizens Advice13/06/2019 12:40:00
The Financial Conduct Authority’s rules on Buy Now Pay Later borrowing won’t stop people being hit by unexpected costs, says Citizens Advice.