Funding split change to school building programme could save local authorities millions – Kirsty Williams
A significant change to how money is invested in the flagship 21st Century Schools and Education Programme could save local authorities and colleges millions of pounds, Education Secretary Kirsty Williams announced yesterday.
Under changes planned for Band B of the programme, the Welsh Government will cover 65% of the capital costs for a new school building or project, with local authorities and colleges covering the remaining 35%.
The Welsh Government will also increase its share of capital funding for facilities for pupils with additional learning needs and those in pupil referral units to 75%, with delivery partners meeting the remaining 25% of the costs.
Previously, the match funding for the capital programme was typically 50-50.
The change in match funding will be introduced for Band B of the programme, which starts in April next year.
Band B will include additional investment with a capital value of around £500m funded through the new, made-in-Wales, Mutual Investment Model.
Education Secretary Kirsty Williams said:
“We are all working against a backdrop of austerity but if we can ease the funding pressures on local authorities and colleges, then we will do so.
“This change has the potential to save local authorities and colleges millions of pounds which could be invested elsewhere in our education system.
“I’m not pretending that this is going to solve every issue, but making such a significant change to our flagship school building programme shows we are willing to take a different approach and explore alternative ways of funding.
WLGA Leader, Councillor Debbie Wilcox (Newport), said:
“This is a very welcome announcement from the Welsh Government and will help alleviate some of the pressures faced by our councils.
“WLGA strongly supports the 21st Century Schools and Education Programme. The programme represents the largest investment in our schools and colleges since the 1960s. It is an excellent example of what can be achieved when local government and the Welsh Government work together and has transformed the school estate across the length and breadth of Wales.
“This investment will help take Band B of the programme to a new level and I look forward to seeing the many fantastic school and college buildings that will be delivered as a result of this renewed partnership with the Welsh Government.”
Latest News from
£3.25 million is improving empty properties in Gwynedd and Anglesey17/06/2019 11:05:00
Empty houses in Gwynedd and Anglesey have been transformed back into homes thanks to £3.25 million of Welsh Government regeneration investment.
Public Service Boards ‘key’ to increasing local procurement – Lee Waters14/06/2019 14:05:00
Deputy Economy Minister, Lee Waters yesterday encouraged Wales’ Public Service Boards to increase local procurement as part of his drive to create stronger local supply chains and build wealth in communities across Wales.
Healthy and Active Fund in Action14/06/2019 11:05:00
Welsh Government, Sport Wales and Public Health Wales have come together to deliver the first phase of the £5.4 million Healthy and Active Fund (HAF) - aiming to improve mental and physical health by enabling the adoption of healthy and active lifestyles across Wales.
How can it be right for a big person to hit a little person? – Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services14/06/2019 09:05:00
How can it be right for a big person to hit a little person? Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services Julie Morgan has said in her final evidence session at the Children, Young People and Education Committee.
New EU-backed project to open up Welsh and Irish Sea Ports to tourism13/06/2019 16:05:00
5 Welsh and Irish Sea ports are set to benefit from a new €2.6 million EU-funded project to help turn them from passage points to key tourist sites – improving tourism opportunities, tourist experiences, and the livelihoods of coastal communities on both sides of the Irish Sea.
Parliament should compel the Government to bring forward a referendum bill by end of July – First Minister13/06/2019 14:05:00
The House of Commons has an opportunity to seize control of the Brexit agenda - and it should not stop at preventing a no deal but take steps to force the Government to bring forward a referendum bill by the end of July, the First Minister of Wales, Mark Drakeford, has said.
“Closer Wales-Ireland relations crucial for our economic futures” – Eluned Morgan13/06/2019 12:18:00
Ireland is Wales’ closest and most important European partner – and the Welsh Government is determined to build closer relations with its nearest European neighbour, whether or not Brexit happens, Minister for International Relations Eluned Morgan will say today.
“I recognise the importance of a healthy retail sector in Wales” Finance Minister tells Welsh retail sector13/06/2019 11:05:00
The Minister for Finance, Rebecca Evans yesterday met with the Head of the Welsh Retail Consortium, Sara Jones, to explore opportunities to work together to help revive struggling high streets and town centres in Wales.
Up to 80 well paid jobs to be created at new software development hub thanks to Welsh Government funding13/06/2019 09:05:00
The Welsh Government is investing over £650,000 in a growing fintech company in order to create 80 well paid jobs at a new software development hub in Cardiff.