Government must take “concrete action” to end public sector pay cap, says FDA union
Responding to reports published yesterday (04/09) that the Government will scrap the public sector pay cap FDA General Secretary Dave Penman yesterday said:
"We welcome the latest reports that ministers are considering a long overdue end to the public sector pay cap, but newspaper reports from anonymous sources mean nothing without concrete action.
"With nearly a third of our members considering leaving their post as soon as possible, we urgently need a new settlement to ensure Britain has the strong civil service it needs to tackle the unprecedented challenges facing us in the years ahead.
"While lifting the pay cap would be a great start, we hope these reports can lead to a more open dialogue about pay reform that gives departments greater freedom to pay market rates for the skills our civil service needs.
"The civil service must be properly resourced to deliver an exit from the EU that works for all industries and sections of society and that means we must be able to have grown up conversations about pay without the 1% straightjacket."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals at grade HEO and above. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, diplomats, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Matt Foster, Communications Officer, tel: 07982 514 524.
- Tommy Newell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07738 729 145.
Latest News from
NICS sickness absence levels should be a wake up call, says FDA union22/09/2017 13:20:00
FDA Assistant General Secretary Rob O’Neill yesterday responded to a new report by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA), which shows that NICS staff took an average of 12.4 days off in 2016/2017 – an increase from 11.7 days the previous year.
Pay cap announcement will satisfy no one, says FDA union13/09/2017 17:12:00
Dave Penman, General Secretary of the FDA Union for senior managers and professionals in public service has responded to yesterday's announcement on the public sector pay cap.
Report attacking DWP pay shows “blatant disregard for the facts”, says FDA union15/08/2017 10:20:00
Jawad Raza, FDA National Officer for DWP yesterday responded to a report in the Mirror naming and shaming civil servants working in the DWP for their remuneration.
Ministers’ allies are peddling myths on Senior Civil Service pay, says FDA union03/08/2017 13:32:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman yesterday responded to reports that International Development Secretary Priti Patel has called for Senior Civil Service pay to be further “restrained”.