Hospital admission statistics published
Statistics on NHS admissions into hospitals in England have been published today by NHS Digital.
The Hospital Admitted Patient Care Activity report records a range of information around Finished Consultant Episodes (FCEs)2 and Finished Admission Episodes (FAEs)3 over the 2017-18 financial year.
These episodes do not count individual people or patients, as the same person could be admitted on multiple occasions or seen by multiple consultants.
Data is recorded from NHS hospitals in England, as well as work commissioned by the NHS to independent providers in England.
The report uses data from the Hospital Episode Statistics (HES)4, a valuable national data asset used for purposes such as health service planning.
Each record in HES includes key information including details of the patient (age, gender, geographic details), when they were treated and what they were treated for. All published figures are aggregated and anonymous.
This data is useful for the NHS to understand frontline demand and forward planning.
Data in the report includes information on:
- Causes of admissions
- Diagnoses on admission
- Procedures carried out
- Patient demographics
- Regional or organisational breakdowns
- Changes over time
Read the full report
Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Notes to editors
- NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2017-18 financial year, NHS Digital published 275 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
- Finished consultant episode (FCE) is a continuous period of admitted patient care under one consultant within one healthcare provider. FCEs are counted against the year in which they end. Figures do not represent the number of different patients, as a person may have more than one episode of care within the same stay in hospital or in different stays in the same year.
- Finished admission episodes (FAE) is the first period of inpatient care under one consultant within one healthcare provider. FAEs are counted against the year in which the admission episode finishes. Admissions do not represent the number of inpatients, as a person may have more than one admission within the year.
- Hospital Episode Statistics are compiled from data sent by more than 210 NHS trusts in England and approximately 250 independent providers for activity commissioned by the NHS.
- For media enquiries please contact email@example.com or telephone 0300 30 33 888.
Latest News from
Health Secretary: My tech vision will help build most advanced health and care system in the world18/10/2018 15:15:15
Outdated and obstructive NHS IT systems will become a thing of the past, Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said yesterday as he launched his technology vision.
20.1 per cent of 10 to 11 year olds and 9.5 per cent of 4 to 5 year olds are obese12/10/2018 09:15:00
Analysis on severely obese children included in child measurement report for first time.
Partnership with Great Ormond Street Hospital for new technology innovation centre announced11/10/2018 16:15:00
A new technology innovation centre yesterday opened at Great Ormond Street Hospital, with backing from us and several technology companies, to transform the use of technology including artificial intelligence in healthcare and improve patient outcomes.
New interactive online data tool provides easier access to mental health statistics10/10/2018 16:15:00
National mental health statistics that shed new light on care and treatment for patients are now available at the click of a mouse thanks to the latest interactive data hub created by NHS Digital.
NHS Digital welcomes funding for joint project with MHRA on creating synthetic devices08/10/2018 12:15:00
NHS Digital’s deputy chief executive has welcomed news that the government has awarded funding for a project which will see us work with MHRA in developing synthetic datasets.
1.4 percentage point increase in people paying for some of their social care03/10/2018 09:15:00
The proportion of people receiving council funded or managed care, who report that they or their family pay for some of their care and support has risen from 35.3 per cent in 2016/17 to 36.7 per cent in 2017/18, according to figures released by NHS Digital.
Leeds is the first city to go live with GP Connect01/10/2018 09:15:00
GP practices and clinical staff can share and view authorised information and data between IT systems, quickly and efficiently, using GP Connect.
Sarah Wilkinson delivers keynote speech at UK Health Show29/09/2018 08:10:00
NHS Digital CEO, Sarah Wilkinson, told clinicians and senior health leaders how a ‘new wave of data’ offers huge advantages to the health and care sector, in a keynote speech at the UK Health Show this week.