Residential Landlords Association (RLA)
Printable version

How to: Protect your home from water damage

When it comes to property maintenance, some things are the responsibility of the landlord to sort out, while other things like keeping a property tidy on a day to day basis are the responsibility of the tenant.

In this new ‘How to’ series, thanks to the RLA’s partnership with Tradepoint, we take a look at how to do some common maintenance jobs in your property. Here, we look at how to protect your home from water damage. RLA member can receive a free Tradepoint discount card, entitling them to discounts at B & Q-from kitchens to paint, find out more here.

In recent weeks, the weather has certainly felt more Autumnal in some parts of the country, with some places experiencing very heavy rainfall and even flooding.

It is therefore a good idea to keep an eye on the weather forecast, so that if a storm is likely, you will be prepared.

When heavy rain is forecast, it is a good idea to check, especially if you are in a flood risk area, that your property is protected from water damage.

One of the first things you can do is make sure that the guttering at the property is clear of debris. Once debris has been cleared, it is a good idea to wash away leftover dirt. Be sure to keep the down pipe clear wiht a debris guard.

Next, check for any gaps in window seals. and use a sealant to secure these.

If flooding is likely, or you already know you are in a flood risk area, then it is a good idea to cover any airbricks.

Advice from the RLA

In addition to the above advice from Tradepoint, the RLA recommends that landlords keep an open dialogue with tenants,so that if any water damage does occur for example through heavy rainfall, repairs can be carried out as soon as possible.

The RLA would stress that if you know that your property is on a flood plain or close to a river or other water source you should always get a bespoke quote from your insurers and ensure that you contact the company as soon as you are made aware the property has been affected by flooding.

What happens if my property is flooded?

As a landlord you are responsible for repairing flood damage, including damage to the structure, and keeping the supply of water, gas, electricity, sanitation and heating in working order and these repairs need to be made within a reasonable period of time.  The first thing to do would be to contact your insurance firm. Then collect evidence of the damage, with pictures.  Make sure electrical appliances and wiring are checked before you switch anything back on.

You can register for free flood warnings by phone, email or text message if you live in England or Wales via the Environment agency.You can call the Environment Agency’s floodline on 0845 988 1188.

You can watch this helpful Tradepoint video to learn more about this topic below.

Learn more

Three years ago, the Government’s Flood Re scheme promised to help homeowners whose properties were at risk of flooding – but this excludes the PRS. Read an article published in Residential Property Investor last year on what the impact of this has been. 


Channel website:

Original article link:

Share this article
Latest Campaign Updates Latest Research Updates Latest Research Reports
Join the NRLA Latest News NRLA Research

Latest News from
Residential Landlords Association (RLA)

Professional Diploma in Social Media for Government & Public Sector