Independent Police Complaints Commission
Printable version

IPCC investigates Northumbria Police’s contact with a man before his death

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating a series of interactions between Northumbria Police and a man before and after he was involved in a road traffic incident near Hadston in Northumberland.

Matthew Drummond, 38, was involved in a collision with a bus while walking on the northbound carriageway of the A1068 at around 6:05am on 13 November 2014. He died in the Royal Victoria Infirmary as a result of his injuries on 16 November 2014.

Mr Drummond had been arrested in Berwick on the 12 November and transported to custody in Bedlington Police Station. His detention was refused due to him being intoxicated and he was then taken to Wansbeck Hospital.

Police were called to the hospital at around 1am on 13 November by A&E staff after they had discharged Mr Drummond and he was initially refusing to leave. Police spoke with Mr Drummond, who then left the hospital on foot.

The IPCC investigation will examine:

       - the actions and decision-making of the police officers who arrested Mr Drummond;
       - the circumstances around police attendance at the hospital and the decision to allow him to leave the hospital;
       - the actions of police officers who attended the scene after the collision.

Investigators have interviewed a number of witnesses including police officers, paramedics and motorists who attended the scene of the collision. CCTV footage from the custody suite has also been obtained and analysed.

Commissioner Carl Gumsley said: “I would like to express my condolences to Mr Drummond’s family at this difficult time. The investigation is making good progress as we seek to establish exactly what happened during the various interactions between Mr Drummond and Northumbria Police.”


Channel website:

Share this article

Latest News from
Independent Police Complaints Commission

Government Webinar Series