Improving the manufacture of new medicines: apply for funding
Organisations can apply for a share of up to £10 million to support the development of novel medicines, under the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund.
Innovate UK has up to £10 million to invest in projects that develop innovative manufacturing methods for producing medicines.
Funding is part of the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund to support leading-edge healthcare. This challenge will invest £181 million over 4 years to speed up patient access to new drugs and treatments. It should return £1 billion to the UK economy.
New approaches must deliver big improvements
The competition is seeking new approaches that can:
- improve commercially-viable manufacturing processes
- scale-up the production of new medicines through reliable and robust methods
- increase yield of active ingredient
- lower cost of production and goods
Medicines that are in scope are:
- advanced therapy medicinal products
- natural product medicines
- nucleic acid-based drugs
- prophylactic vaccines
- protein or peptide biopharmaceuticals
- small molecular weight pharmaceuticals
- virus and phage therapeutics
The competition will fund a variety of projects across different markets, technologies and medicines. These can include feasibility studies, industrial research and experimental development.
- the competition opens on 12 March 2018, and the deadline for applications is at midday on 9 April 2018
- projects must be led by a business and must include at least one SME
- we expect projects to have costs between £50,000 and £1.5 million and to last between 6 months and 30 months
- projects with costs below £100,000 can be led by an SME working on its own or with partners, while projects above £100,000 must be led by a business working with partners
- businesses can attract up to 70% of their project costs
- a briefing event will be held on 20 March 2018
Latest News from
Creating the 5G network: apply for funding19/03/2019 14:10:00
Businesses can apply for a share of £1 million for international partnerships that will help develop 5G internet connectivity.
Combating food shortages: apply for funding19/03/2019 11:20:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £3 million to help develop agricultural and food systems in collaboration with African partners.
World-leading UK aerospace designs: get funding for projects19/03/2019 09:10:00
New ideas sought for projects that could transform the aerospace industry through smart, energy-efficient technologies.
Collaborate in a business-academic partnership: apply for funding15/03/2019 09:10:00
A Knowledge Transfer Partnership can help UK businesses collaborate with a university, research organisation or highly qualified graduate.
Develop advanced materials with South Korea: apply for funding12/03/2019 14:10:00
Businesses can apply for a share of £2 million to develop innovative projects in collaboration with South Korean businesses.
9 women innovators get government backing for inventions with global potential08/03/2019 16:10:00
Pioneering female inventors have been awarded funding and business support to develop and grow their business.
Women in Innovation: 9 female-led businesses backed08/03/2019 15:47:00
Innovate UK has awarded funding and support to 9 of the UK’s most innovative female-led businesses, as part of its campaign to boost diversity in innovation.
Better, faster, more personalised asthma treatment27/02/2019 09:10:00
3 projects funded through a collaboration between Innovate UK and Asthma UK will help ensure asthma patients receive better treatment.