Improving the manufacture of new medicines: apply for funding
Organisations can apply for a share of up to £10 million to support the development of novel medicines, under the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund.
Innovate UK has up to £10 million to invest in projects that develop innovative manufacturing methods for producing medicines.
Funding is part of the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund to support leading-edge healthcare. This challenge will invest £181 million over 4 years to speed up patient access to new drugs and treatments. It should return £1 billion to the UK economy.
New approaches must deliver big improvements
The competition is seeking new approaches that can:
- improve commercially-viable manufacturing processes
- scale-up the production of new medicines through reliable and robust methods
- increase yield of active ingredient
- lower cost of production and goods
Medicines that are in scope are:
- advanced therapy medicinal products
- natural product medicines
- nucleic acid-based drugs
- prophylactic vaccines
- protein or peptide biopharmaceuticals
- small molecular weight pharmaceuticals
- virus and phage therapeutics
The competition will fund a variety of projects across different markets, technologies and medicines. These can include feasibility studies, industrial research and experimental development.
- the competition opens on 12 March 2018, and the deadline for applications is at midday on 9 April 2018
- projects must be led by a business and must include at least one SME
- we expect projects to have costs between £50,000 and £1.5 million and to last between 6 months and 30 months
- projects with costs below £100,000 can be led by an SME working on its own or with partners, while projects above £100,000 must be led by a business working with partners
- businesses can attract up to 70% of their project costs
- a briefing event will be held on 20 March 2018
Latest News from
Rugby fan urges people to be on the ball when it comes to knowing their pulse18/11/2019 13:20:00
A rugby fan from Widnes is urging people to be on the ball and “know their pulse” during Global AF Aware Week 2019.
Game-changing ideas for aerospace: apply for funding14/11/2019 12:20:00
Organisations can put forward innovative ideas for design and propulsion technologies that could drive growth in the UK aerospace industry.
Work with Israeli partners on business ideas: apply for funding12/11/2019 09:10:00
UK businesses can apply for a share of £1.5 million to work with partners in Israel on innovative products and services that target global markets.
Work with US partners on wind farm innovation: apply for funding11/11/2019 12:25:00
UK businesses can apply for a share of up to £1.5 million to work with US partners on the $40 million US offshore wind development programme.
Transforming foundation industries: apply for a fast start project31/10/2019 09:10:00
UK businesses can apply for a share of £5 million for fast start projects to improve the resource and energy efficiency of foundation industries.
Decarbonising the UK’s industry: apply for phase 1 funding30/10/2019 13:20:00
2 phase 1 competitions for businesses to help achieve a world-first, net zero-emission industrial area by 2040.
Robots on the rise and heading for Cumbria29/10/2019 14:17:00
A range of innovative robotic systems will be on display at an event in Cumbria next month as an £8.5 million competition moves to the next stage.
Building centres to drive electric revolution: apply for funding24/10/2019 11:15:00
Up to £30 million to set up flagship centres supporting the manufacturing supply chain in the latest power electronics, machines and drives.