Innovation in UK aerospace: funding for projects
Organisations are invited to submit ideas that promote competition and innovation in the UK aerospace industry.
To ensure that the UK remains at the pinnacle of civil aerospace innovation, organisations are invited to express an interest in a competition worth £150 million a year with their ideas for pioneering aerospace design and manufacturing projects. The best projects will then be invited to apply for grant funding.
The competition is part of the UK Aerospace Research and Technology programme, a joint £3.9 billion investment between government and industry, which will help strengthen the UK’s leading position in civil aerospace.
Innovate UK, the Aerospace Technology Institute and Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy will coordinate and manage the programme.
Aerospace of the future
This competition provides funding for industrial research or capital investment projects. They must:
- strengthen UK whole-aircraft design and system integration
- future-proof systems technologies in the UK – specifically, smart, connected and more electric aircrafts
- secure the UK’s world-leading position in large, complex aviation structures, particularly wings
- advanced the next generation of propulsion technologies, particularly large turbofans
Projects must align with priorities within the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy.
- the competition will open on 4 March 2019, and the deadline for expressions of interest is at midday on 20 March 2019
- UK-based business, research and technology groups and academic organisations can be the project lead, depending on the project type
- businesses could attract up to 50% of project costs for industry-led research projects. Single applicants in capital investment projects and partners in industry-led research collaborations could attract up to 100%
- organisations must sign up to the ATI framework agreement
Latest News from
Take a game-changing idea to market: apply for an innovation loan18/09/2019 09:10:00
Small businesses can apply for loans of up to £1 million to help them turn their game-changing ideas into new products, processes or services.
Healthy low-fat insect and plant protein launched in Wales17/09/2019 15:37:00
SBRI-supported Bug Farm Foods has developed VEXo, a protein that can be used like minced meat, at its new R&D facility in St David’s.
Supporting healthy and active later life: apply for funding17/09/2019 09:10:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £37.5 million to develop ideas that could help people to enjoy healthier and more active lives in older age.
Developing affordable urban heat networks - apply for funding12/09/2019 09:20:00
SBRI competition inviting businesses to develop lower cost heating and water infrastructure in Wales
Transforming lives in developing countries: apply for funding05/09/2019 10:05:00
Organisations can apply for a share of up to £9.3 million to trial innovations that tackle global societal challenges in low-income and emerging economies.
Improving safety and security on railways: apply for contracts05/09/2019 09:05:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £3 million for projects that develop automated examination of tunnels or use analytics to improve station security.
Improving data access for service sector: apply for funding29/08/2019 09:10:00
Projects can apply for a share of £3.5 million to speed up use of artificial intelligence and data technologies in accountancy, insurance and legal services.
Advancing aerospace designs: funding for projects27/08/2019 10:15:00
Innovative projects delivering smart, energy-efficient technologies that could bolster the UK aerospace industry are invited to a regular call for ideas.