Investing in foundation industries: help to back innovators
Investors can join a programme to support businesses carrying out innovative projects that aim to reduce resources and energy use in key industries.
Foundation industries, such as the cement, glass, ceramics, paper, metals, and bulk chemical sectors, are vital for UK manufacturing. They are worth £52 billion to the economy.
However, they are responsible for 10% of UK CO2 emissions and consume lots of raw materials and energy. Manufacturing equipment has a long life, and it is difficult to introduce efficiencies that improve resource use and maintain competitiveness on the global stage.
The government’s Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund Transforming Foundation Industries Challenge is supporting innovative business projects looking at ways of reducing energy and resource use.
Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, is seeking partner investors willing to invest in businesses that carry out projects with support from the fund.
Investors must identify promising businesses
Innovate UK has up to £7 million to invest in small and medium sized enterprises in the foundation industries carrying out projects to reduce energy and resource use.
Investor partners will be expected to identify potential businesses. They could be:
- new investments for the organisation
- opportunities currently under consideration
- SMEs already in a portfolio who are looking for further investment and grant funding for a specific project element
The businesses will be asked to submit funding applications for projects that meet the objectives of the challenge:
- reducing energy costs and optimisation such as heat or energy recovery and reuse
- process measurement, optimisation and digitisation, such as sensor technology or digital tools
- waste recycling, utilisation and symbiosis, such as reuse of waste or industrial symbiosis
- new product and service development, such as new materials, new materials-based products and services, or new business models
Investors could include venture capital, angel networks, or corporate venture investors. They will be asked to make an investment that equals or exceeds the value of the Innovate UK grant.
- the competition to find investor partners is open, and the deadline for applications is at 11am on 9 December 2020
- investors must be an equity provider with the potential to act as lead investor in investments from £50,000 to £2 million
- the competition for invited business projects will open in spring 2021
- business projects could range in size between £50,000 and £2million and last up to 2 years
- a briefing event takes place on 4 November 2020
Latest News from
World’s first green submarine among winners of the UK’s biggest clean maritime competition15/09/2021 12:22:00
Winners of clean maritime competition announced as the UK's greenest cruise terminal opens in Southampton.
Five UK companies have progressed through to the next phase of a £5.5 million radioactive waste segregation competition.14/09/2021 10:12:00
The ‘Sort & Seg’ innovation competition, launched in July 2020, set the challenge of finding ways to sort and segregate mixed radioactive waste at some of the UK’s oldest nuclear sites.
Cycle 2 of Defence Innovation Loans now open12/08/2021 10:15:00
Loans up to £1.6m available. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to commercialise your defence solution
Have questions about Defence Innovation Loans? Talk to our experts27/07/2021 09:10:00
Your chance to speak to the DASA Team behind Defence Innovation Loans.
Introducing Defence Innovation Loans! Helping you make your Defence Innovation market ready24/06/2021 12:27:00
Calling all defence SMEs – loans of up to £1.6m available to help convert your mature defence innovation into a strong business proposition for defence procurement.
Business Secretary appoints Indro Mukerjee as new Innovate UK CEO06/05/2021 14:22:00
Indro Mukerjee appointed as new CEO of Innovate UK to help develop the UK's innovation capability and drive investment in research and development.
£20 million fund to propel green shipbuilding launched23/03/2021 09:10:00
Government invests £20 million to develop innovative zero emission vessels and clean port infrastructure.
Dstl and DASA speaking at Innovate Local26/02/2021 14:12:00
Dstl and DASA will be speaking at Innovate Local: Southern Pioneers on 8 to 9 March 2021.