Marcus Rashford MBE backs Welsh Government decision to ensure free school meal provisions for every school holiday until Easter 2021
The Welsh Government has guaranteed free school meal provision for all school holidays up to and including Easter 2021, thanks to £11m confirmed today by Education Minister Kirsty Williams.
The move has been backed by Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford saying he welcomed ‘the Welsh Government's swift response to this urgent need in protecting the most vulnerable children across the country.’
Making the announcement ahead of the October half term through a video released on her Twitter channel, the Minister said she hoped the confirmation would provide ‘some reassurance in these times of uncertainty’.
The Minister also confirmed that more than £700k had also been allocated to support colleges with the equivalent provision for eligible learners.
Speaking today, the Minister said:
We have worked tirelessly this year to respond to the coronavirus pandemic and the countless challenges it has presented but we have not, and will not, forget those for who school is about far more than education.
I am pleased to confirm that we have today made £11m available to provide free school meal provisions over every school holiday up to and including Easter 2021.
I really hope this provides some reassurance in these times of uncertainty.
Marcus Rashford MBE added:
Holiday provision is vital to stabilising households during the school closures, given the devastating effects of COVID-19.
Having this framework in place for the foreseeable future will have a significantly positive impact on children who are struggling to engage in learning due to anxiety and fear, not to mention the noise of their rumbling stomachs.
No child in 2020 should be sat in a classroom worried about how they are going to access food during the holidays, and the impact that will have on their parents when matched with unemployment, ill health and, in some cases, personal loss.
There is still so much more work to be done to protect this next generation but I welcome the Welsh Government's swift response to this urgent need in protecting the most vulnerable children across the country. Our children and their welfare should never not be the priority.
Ensuring the continuation of free school meal provision has been a key priority for the Welsh Government as it has responded to the coronavirus pandemic - it had already allocated £41.7m before today’s announcement bringing the total now to £52.7m.
When the Minister announced she would close schools on Wednesday, March 18 she quickly confirmed that £7 million would be made available to local authorities to put in place measures to ensure that children eligible for free school meals would continue to benefit from this scheme.
Then on April 22 Wales became the first country in the UK to guarantee ongoing funding for children to continue to benefit from free school meal provision up to and including the end of the summer holidays
On September 20, after schools had reopened, the Minister confirmed at least £420,000 had been made available to ensure all pupils entitled to free school meals would continue to receive provisions if they were shielding or had to self-isolate.
Latest News from
New logos for protected food and drink products unveiled22/10/2020 16:48:00
New logos for food and drink products with European Union Protected Food Name (EUPFN) status have today been unveiled.
North Wales metro schemes benefit from over £11 million22/10/2020 14:05:00
As part of the North Wales Metro over £11 million has been allocated to schemes across the region to support sustainable ways of travelling, improve safety and reduce carbon emissions Transport and North Wales Minister Ken Skates announced today.
Health Minister awards £220m in funding for Princes Charles Hospital refurbishment22/10/2020 11:05:00
The Health Minister, Vaughan Gething has today awarded £220m in funding to Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil.
Domestic abuse and sexual violence survivors encouraged to seek help during firebreak lockdown22/10/2020 09:05:00
In a direct plea yesterday which comes as Wales moves towards the firebreak lockdown, the Deputy Minister and Chief Whip, Jane Hutt, asked friends and neighbours to look out for signs of domestic abuse, and encouraged victims and survivors to seek help and escape from their homes if necessary.
£300 million for Welsh businesses21/10/2020 16:05:00
Welsh Government is doubling the third phase of its Economic Resilience Fund, making nearly £300 million available to support businesses that continue to be affected by COVID-19.
Scheme to bring more GPs to Mid and West Wales extended for two years21/10/2020 14:05:00
Health Minister, Vaughan Gething has announced the extension of a successful scheme to help attract GPs to Mid and West Wales.
Welsh Government launches its National Strategy for Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management (FCERM)21/10/2020 11:05:00
Wales’ new flood and coastal Strategy sets out how we will help to reduce risks to communities and businesses across Wales and adapt to our changing climate.
Welsh Revenue Authority raises £300 million in tax revenue for Wales21/10/2020 09:05:00
The Welsh Revenue Authority (WRA) yesterday (20 October) published its Annual Report and Accounts 2019 to 2020, reporting £300 million tax raised during the last financial year. The revenue will directly fund public services across Wales.
£1 million fund for carers to mark launch of public consultation20/10/2020 14:05:00
A new fund of over £1m to help Wales’ unpaid carers cope with the financial pressures of COVID-19 has been announced today [Tuesday 20] by the Deputy Health Minister.