NHS Digital has today published national statistics about activity at sexual and reproductive health services in 2017-18
Regional data available in this report.
Download the infographic: Sexual and Reproductive Health infographic
Statistics on Sexual and Reproductive Health Services, England 2017-183 also includes information about some non-NHS services such as family planning clinics, community contraception clinics and young people's services.
The report contains:
- a demographic breakdown of service users4
- information about the provision of contraception, including emergency contraception, amongst other sexual health services
- numbers of vasectomies and sterilisations at both sexual and reproductive health services and NHS hospitals over a ten-year period5
Detailed information about sexually transmitted disease screening or treatment is not provided - this information is available from the Genitourinary Medicine Clinic Activity Dataset6.
This report does not cover all the ways in which a person may access reproductive.
It excludes services provided in outpatient clinics and those provided by general practitioners7, as well as contraceptives purchased over the counter at a pharmacy or in other retail settings (unless otherwise stated).
Changes over time presented in this report may be due to the way people access contraceptive health services rather than changes in contraceptive use.
Read the full report
Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Notes to editors
- NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2017/18 financial year, NHS Digital published 275 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
- This is a National Statistics publication. National statistics are statistics that meet the highest standards of trustworthiness, quality and public value.
- This report presents key findings. A wider range of data is published in the accompanying Excel spreadsheets. Full details of the data sources and other information can be found in the appendices, and data quality issues are covered in the data quality statement.
- Regional statistics and an age breakdown are included.
- The latest Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) are included on vasectomies and sterilisations, which are provisional. Data is given a provisional status when it may change over time as more updates are provided, although the difference between provisional and final figures is expected to be small.
- The Genitourinary Medicine Clinic Activity dataset is a Public Health England publication and can be found here.
- A small amount of data from GPs may be included where sexual and reproductive health services sub-contract to GPs, or where sexual and reproductive health services undertake activity on GP premises.
- For media enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0300 30 33 888.
Latest News from
Health Secretary: My tech vision will help build most advanced health and care system in the world18/10/2018 15:15:15
Outdated and obstructive NHS IT systems will become a thing of the past, Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said yesterday as he launched his technology vision.
20.1 per cent of 10 to 11 year olds and 9.5 per cent of 4 to 5 year olds are obese12/10/2018 09:15:00
Analysis on severely obese children included in child measurement report for first time.
Partnership with Great Ormond Street Hospital for new technology innovation centre announced11/10/2018 16:15:00
A new technology innovation centre yesterday opened at Great Ormond Street Hospital, with backing from us and several technology companies, to transform the use of technology including artificial intelligence in healthcare and improve patient outcomes.
New interactive online data tool provides easier access to mental health statistics10/10/2018 16:15:00
National mental health statistics that shed new light on care and treatment for patients are now available at the click of a mouse thanks to the latest interactive data hub created by NHS Digital.
NHS Digital welcomes funding for joint project with MHRA on creating synthetic devices08/10/2018 12:15:00
NHS Digital’s deputy chief executive has welcomed news that the government has awarded funding for a project which will see us work with MHRA in developing synthetic datasets.
1.4 percentage point increase in people paying for some of their social care03/10/2018 09:15:00
The proportion of people receiving council funded or managed care, who report that they or their family pay for some of their care and support has risen from 35.3 per cent in 2016/17 to 36.7 per cent in 2017/18, according to figures released by NHS Digital.
Leeds is the first city to go live with GP Connect01/10/2018 09:15:00
GP practices and clinical staff can share and view authorised information and data between IT systems, quickly and efficiently, using GP Connect.
Sarah Wilkinson delivers keynote speech at UK Health Show29/09/2018 08:10:00
NHS Digital CEO, Sarah Wilkinson, told clinicians and senior health leaders how a ‘new wave of data’ offers huge advantages to the health and care sector, in a keynote speech at the UK Health Show this week.