NHS Digital publishes NHS Payments to General Practice, England, 2019/20 report
NHS Digital has today published the NHS Payments to General Practice in England annual report.
The report details payments to general practice services providers by the NHS over the past financial year.
Included in the report is a breakdown of payments made through the Global Sum1, Balance of Primary Medical Services (PMS) expenditure2, Quality Outcomes Framework (QOF)3 and Local Incentive Schemes4.
The report also estimates how much the total payments covered in this publication equates to per registered patient in England5, although this is not a count of money spent per person.
Also included in the report for the first time is payments made to Primary Care Networks across four separate categories. These categories are: PCN Participation, PCN Support, PCN Workforce and PCN Leadership.
Payments to 7,001 general practice service providers in England are covered by the figures.
The data is reported at individual practice, Clinical Commissioning Group, regional and national level.5
Read the full report
Notes for editors
- Global Sum Payments are a contribution towards the contractor’s costs in delivering essential and additional services, including staff costs. Global Sum allocates money in accordance with perceived need. Figures are calculated quarterly, paid on a monthly basis and may change from one quarter to the next according to patient turnover and demographics. Global Sum is the main payment to practices and is based upon each practice’s registered patient list which is adjusted according to the Carr-Hill Formula to take into consideration differences in the age and sex of the patients as well as any in nursing or residential care, additional patient need due to medical conditions, patient turnover and unavoidable costs based upon rurality and staff market forces for the area.
- Primary Medical Services contracts are locally negotiated, but Balance of Primary Medical Services (PMS) expenditure payments are similar to Global Sum and Minimum Practice Income Guarantee (MPIG) in General Medical Services payments.
- Total QOF Payments is comprised of Quality Aspiration Payments and Quality Achievement Payments. Aspiration Payments are a part payment in advance in respect of achievement under the Quality and Outcomes Framework.
- Total Local Incentive Schemes (LIS) are comprised of GP Extended Hours Access (a locally-developed service to provide extended hours access) and Other LIS (locally-developed services designed to meet local health needs). LIS replaces the previous "Local Enhanced Services" and "National Enhanced Services".
- Average payment per patient amounts are not representative of the amount of funding available to spend on direct patient care. Average payments per patient at GP practice, CCG, region or national level should be treated with caution as some patients may be double-counted – for example due to practice closure – while conversely no information relating to patient list size is known for 115 practices.
- Average payment per patient amounts should not be compared with those presented in previous editions of this publication due to a change in methodology in 2019, although revised figures at England level for 2016/17 and 2017/18 have been calculated and are presented in the accompanying web page at https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/nhs-payments-to-general-practice/england-2019-20.
Latest News from
Survey conducted in July 2020 shows one in six children having a probable mental disorder22/10/2020 14:15:00
The proportion of children experiencing a probable mental disorder has increased over the past three years, from one in nine in 2017 to one in six in July this year.
The next generation of NHS innovation - embracing the digital revolution15/10/2020 09:15:00
Keynote by NHS Digital's CEO Sarah Wilkinson (delivered for Public Policy Projects on Saturday 10 October).
Celebrating Ada Lovelace Day at NHS Digital13/10/2020 14:15:00
To celebrate Ada Lovelace day, NHS Digital is hosting several internal events to celebrate women in technology.
Annual Hospital Outpatient report published for 2019/2009/10/2020 09:15:00
NHS Digital yesterday published the annual Hospital Outpatient Activity report, covering outpatient activity in the NHS and NHS-commissioned activity in the independent sector.
MS Teams use in the NHS soars as pandemic continues06/10/2020 09:15:00
Over 65 million messages have been sent on the platform since the week it was rolled out across the NHS by NHS Digital.
Surge in people checking their risk of type 2 diabetes28/09/2020 15:15:00
Almost 300,000 people have accessed the tool to check their risk of type 2 diabetes online less than two months after the NHS fast tracked access to its world leading Healthier You Diabetes Prevention Programme.
Milestone for NHS Vaccine Research Registry as it supports new COVID-19 trial28/09/2020 12:25:00
10,000 UK volunteers are being invited to join a leading phase three COVID-19 vaccine trial - as the number of people signed up to a registry developed by NHS Digital passes 250,000.
Statistics published for all routine childhood vaccinations in England in 2019-2025/09/2020 09:15:00
Coverage for all routine childhood vaccinations administered to children under five in England in 2019-20 were published yesterday.