NHS payments to General Practice report published
The NHS Payments to General Practice, England, 2017/18 report has been published by NHS Digital.
The report provides details on payments to providers of general practice services in England in the past financial year.
The report includes a breakdown of payments made through the Global Sum1, Balance of Primary Medical Services (PMS) expenditure2, Quality Outcomes Framework (QOF)3 and Enhanced Services4, including an estimate of how much the NHS paid per registered patient in England5.
The data covers payments to 7,543 general practice service providers across England.
The figures are reported at individual practice, Clinical Commissioning Group, regional and national level.
Also published is the General Practice workforce, Final 30 September 2018 report. This report presents data about GPs, Nurses, Direct Patient Care and Admin/Non-Clinical staff in general practice, along with information on their patients, practices, and the services they provide.
Read the full report
Notes to editors
- Global Sum Payments are a contribution towards the contractor’s costs in delivering essential and additional services, including staff costs. Global Sum allocates money in accordance with perceived need. Figures are calculated quarterly, paid on a monthly basis and may change from one quarter to the next according to patient turnover and demographics.
- Primary Medical Services contracts are locally negotiated, but are similar to Global Sum and Minimum Practice Income Guarantee (MPIG) in General Medical Services.
- Total QOF Payments is comprised of Quality Aspiration Payments and Quality Achievement Payments. Aspiration Payments are a part payment in advance in respect of achievement under the Quality and Outcomes Framework.
- Details of Directed Enhanced Services can be found at https://www.england.nhs.uk/commissioning/gp-contract/. Total Local Enhanced Services (LES) is comprised of GP Extended Hours Access (a locally-developed service to provide extended hours access) and other LES (locally-developed services designed to meet local health needs) "Local Enhanced Services " replaces the previous "Local Enhanced Services" and "National Enhanced Services" (NES).
- Average payments per patient at CCG, region or national level should be treated with caution as some patients may be double-counted – for example due to practice closure – while conversely no information relating to patient list size is known for 108 practices.
- NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2017/18 financial year, NHS Digital published 275 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
- For media enquiries please contact email@example.com or telephone 0300 30 33 888.
NHS Digital must be quoted as the source of this information.
Latest News from
Invitation to Tender launched for GP IT Futures programme24/05/2019 11:15:00
NHS Digital has issued an invitation to tender for existing and new suppliers to deliver a new IT systems framework for primary care.
Health Secretary: Ambitious tech overhaul will make NHS most advanced health and care system in the world24/05/2019 10:15:00
Top technology companies will be challenged to develop new, innovative GP IT systems to empower patients to access more health services online and through their phones, Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced yesterday.
Summary Hospital-level Mortality Indicator (SHMI) is updated16/05/2019 14:15:00
The SHMI reports on mortality at trust level across the NHS in England. Methodological changes will be made from today’s publication.
NHS 111 online hits one million triages mark15/05/2019 14:15:00
NHS 111 online has been used more than one million times to get people the medical help they need since its launch in December 2017.
NHS Digital reaches agreement to offer NHS organisations discounted access to cloud services15/05/2019 09:15:00
NHS Digital has reached an agreement with software firm VMware to provide NHS organisations with discounted access to VWware Cloud on Amazon Web Services (AWS).
NHS Digital chief nurse calls on nurses and midwives to continue to take the lead on digital revolution13/05/2019 16:15:00
To mark International Nurses’ Day NHS Digital’s acting chief nurse, Caron Swinscoe, wrote about how small technological and information sharing advances have the chance to make a real difference to nurses and midwives on the frontline and the patients they care for.
NHS Fit Notes report allows for regional comparisons to be made for the first time10/05/2019 09:15:00
Coverage in NHS Digital’s latest fit notes publication has increased to include data from 96% of GP practices.
711,000 hospital admissions where obesity was a factor in 2017/1809/05/2019 12:15:00
Admissions to NHS hospitals, where obesity was recorded as either a primary or secondary diagnosis, increased by 15% (94,000) on 2016/17.