NHS payments to General Practice report published
The NHS Payments to General Practice, England, 2017/18 report has been published by NHS Digital.
The report provides details on payments to providers of general practice services in England in the past financial year.
The report includes a breakdown of payments made through the Global Sum1, Balance of Primary Medical Services (PMS) expenditure2, Quality Outcomes Framework (QOF)3 and Enhanced Services4, including an estimate of how much the NHS paid per registered patient in England5.
The data covers payments to 7,543 general practice service providers across England.
The figures are reported at individual practice, Clinical Commissioning Group, regional and national level.
Also published is the General Practice workforce, Final 30 September 2018 report. This report presents data about GPs, Nurses, Direct Patient Care and Admin/Non-Clinical staff in general practice, along with information on their patients, practices, and the services they provide.
Read the full report
Notes to editors
- Global Sum Payments are a contribution towards the contractor’s costs in delivering essential and additional services, including staff costs. Global Sum allocates money in accordance with perceived need. Figures are calculated quarterly, paid on a monthly basis and may change from one quarter to the next according to patient turnover and demographics.
- Primary Medical Services contracts are locally negotiated, but are similar to Global Sum and Minimum Practice Income Guarantee (MPIG) in General Medical Services.
- Total QOF Payments is comprised of Quality Aspiration Payments and Quality Achievement Payments. Aspiration Payments are a part payment in advance in respect of achievement under the Quality and Outcomes Framework.
- Details of Directed Enhanced Services can be found at https://www.england.nhs.uk/commissioning/gp-contract/. Total Local Enhanced Services (LES) is comprised of GP Extended Hours Access (a locally-developed service to provide extended hours access) and other LES (locally-developed services designed to meet local health needs) "Local Enhanced Services " replaces the previous "Local Enhanced Services" and "National Enhanced Services" (NES).
- Average payments per patient at CCG, region or national level should be treated with caution as some patients may be double-counted – for example due to practice closure – while conversely no information relating to patient list size is known for 108 practices.
- NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2017/18 financial year, NHS Digital published 275 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
- For media enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0300 30 33 888.
NHS Digital must be quoted as the source of this information.
Latest News from
NHS login launches pilot to develop the service for future users08/02/2019 12:15:00
The aim of the pilot is to build a responsive and efficient process which allows partner services to connect and use NHS login.
338,000 admitted to hospital as a result of alcohol in 2017/1805/02/2019 13:15:00
There were 338,000 admissions to hospital in 2017/18 where the main cause was due to drinking alcohol, according to new figures published today.
Data Security and Protection Toolkit helps care providers get online with NHSmail04/02/2019 11:05:00
Care providers can now gain access to NHSmail, once they have completed the entry level of the online Data Security and Protection Toolkit (DSPT), NHS Digital has announced.
More than £1m available for innovative digital social care projects01/02/2019 09:15:00
Local authorities developing digital social care projects to be boosted by Social Care Digital Innovation Programme (SCDIP) funding.
Digital inclusion project brings healthcare technology to the homeless25/01/2019 11:15:00
Homeless and insecurely housed people in Hastings now have access to medical treatment and support thanks to an innovative digital health care outreach project.
Annual learning disabilities statistics released24/01/2019 14:15:00
Annual figures on the health and care of people with learning disabilities have been released by NHS Digital.
Leeds first city to fully join up with GP Connect23/01/2019 15:15:15
NHS Digital has taken a major step on the road to ensuring clinicians have access to patients’ GP records right across Leeds.
GP appointments data published18/01/2019 11:15:00
This publication also includes the time from booking to appointment, broken down into two groups: