HM Revenue and Customs
New Director Generals to head HMRC’s Customer Services and Customer Compliance Groups
Two new Director Generals have been appointed to lead the Customer Services and Customer Compliance Groups, following the departures of Ruth Owen and Jennie Granger in June.
Angela MacDonald, currently Operational Excellence Director in HMRC, will step up to lead the Customer Services Group, which oversees most of HMRC’s interaction with individual taxpayers, tax credits recipients, and small and mid-sized businesses online, by phone or face-to-face.
Penny Ciniewicz, currently Chief Executive of the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), will now return to HMRC to lead the Customer Compliance Group, which includes compliance for all customer groups, from large businesses to individuals, as well as HMRC’s counter-avoidance and fraud investigation functions.
Melissa Tatton, currently Director for Individuals and Small Business Compliance, HMRC, will step up to take over as Chief Executive for the VOA.
Approved by the Prime Minister, these appointments follow an extensive competition across the Civil Service and public and private sectors.
Chief Executive, Jon Thompson, said:
I’d like to congratulate Melissa, Penny and Angela on their appointments, and am delighted to welcome them to HMRC’s Executive Committee. They bring a wealth of capability, leadership and experience with them, and will have vital roles to play in helping build our future and achieve our vision of becoming a world-class organisation.
Melissa Tatton said:
I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to lead the Valuation Office Agency, given its strong delivery track record, as it continues to transform, and to be joining HMRC’s Executive Committee.
Penny Ciniewicz said:
It’s a privilege to be returning to HMRC after nearly eight years as Chief Executive for the VOA. I’m delighted to have the opportunity to build on the work of Jennie Granger in ensuring we reduce the tax gap and promote compliance, ensuring we bring in the money that pays for the UK’s public services.
Angela MacDonald said:
As Operational Excellence Director, I see firsthand the commitment and passion among our people for delivering high-quality customer service. This is a fantastic opportunity and it is a privilege to follow in Ruth Owen’s footsteps, investing in and building the best service we can for all our customers, now and in the future.
Angela will take up the DG Customer Services Group appointment on 7 August. Penny and Melissa will take up the DG Customer Compliance Group and Chief Executive, VOA, appointments on 4 September, respectively.
Penny Ciniewicz was appointed Chief Executive, Valuation Office Agency in September 2009, having joined HMRC in 2006. Her previous posts include:
- Director of Knowledge, Analysis and Intelligence, HMRC (2007-2009)
- Principal Private Secretary to the Cabinet Secretary, Cabinet Office (2004-2006)
- Director Aerospace and Defence, Department for Trade and Industry (2002-2004)
- Angela MacDonald was appointed Director for Operational Excellence, HMRC in January 2017. Her previous posts include:
- Operational Excellence Director, Department for Work and Pensions (2013-17)
- Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission (2009-13)
- Before joining the Civil Service, Angela worked in the Financial Services Industry, gaining experience across a broad range of roles.
- Melissa joined the Inland Revenue as a graduate tax inspector and has forged a successful career as a tax leader across a wide range of roles. Melissa was appointed to her current post as Director for Individuals and Small Business Compliance in 2014. Before that she held the following posts:
- Director, Large Business Service (LBS), HMRC (2011-14)
- Deputy Director, Business International, HMRC (2009-11)
- Melissa was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in June 2016.
Latest News from
HM Revenue and Customs
Do you receive an Armed Forces Pension?22/11/2017 14:22:00
Have HM Revenue & Customs used the correct primary source of income to calculate your Tax Code?
Tax-Free Childcare to open to children under 616/11/2017 12:20:04
The Government is committed to supporting parents with the cost of childcare.
Trusts Registration Service registration deadline for new trusts extended10/11/2017 08:05:00
The deadline for new trusts to register is now 5 January 2018.
Agent toolkits, digital meetings, webinars, e-learning and videos07/11/2017 08:10:00
Help and support from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for tax agents and advisers.